You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Chipped out!!! Tips Please

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
Does anyone have any tips for me? I keep getting chipped out by the big blinds nearly every game I play, I do really well but just can’t reach the money places. in the late stages I hit no cards or I get cards with a small kicker like A 4 or K 7. Question 1: do I call these to the flop. Question 2: do I call any connecting suited cards like 9d 10d. Question 3: if I do call these and don’t hit the flop do I try to bluff.Thanks rawhand

Comments

• edited November 2009

Don't call with these types of hands, raise with them.

If you call before the flop, miss, then try and bluff the flop, your opponent now has 5 cards to work with to try and call you.

If you make your "bluff" before the flop, he only has 2, and the chances are you will not have to see a flop.

If the pot is raised before it is your go, fold these hands.

GL, DOHH
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Chipped out!!! Tips Please:
    Don't call with these types of hands, raise with them. If you call before the flop, miss, then try and bluff the flop, your opponent now has 5 cards to work with to try and call you. If you make your "bluff" before the flop, he only has 2, and the chances are you will not have to see a flop. If the pot is raised before it is your go, fold these hands. GL, DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Thank will give a try
  • edited November 2009

Also another tip....

If your play slows down when you are approaching the cash, this might be because you are playing tighter and more cautious, when this is the time to do the opposite.

To try and deal with this, if you are in a tournament which pays 50 places, Imagine in your own head that only the top 35 get paid! I know it could be so tempting to just try and fold your way into the money, but if you imagine only the top 35 get paid rather than the top 50, it will ensure u keep being aggressive rather than going into your shell.

Again, its all about mindset. Man or Mouse? lol

DOHH

• edited November 2009
    Also another tip.... If your play slows down when you are approaching the cash, this might be because you are playing tighter and more cautious, when this is the time to do the opposite. To try and deal with this, if you are in a tournament which pays 50 places, Imagine in your own head that only the top 35 get paid! I know it could be so tempting to just try and fold your way into the money, but if you imagine only the top 35 get paid rather than the top 50, it will ensure u keep being aggressive rather than going into your shell. Again, its all about mindset. Man or Mouse? lol DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    excellent stuff dohhhh ,

you really are a great guy after all ,

well done ,

you are giving out great advice.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Chipped out!!! Tips Please:
    Does anyone have any tips for me? I keep getting chipped out by the big blinds nearly every game I play, I do really well but just can’t reach the money places. in the late stages I hit no cards or I get cards with a small kicker like A 4 or K 7. Question 1: do I call these to the flop. Question 2: do I call any connecting suited cards like 9d 10d. Question 3: if I do call these and don’t hit the flop do I try to bluff. Thanks rawhand
    Posted by rawhand
    Hi Raw,

The word "Call" in these circumstances has to be removed from your thinking! (Unless you happen to wake up with a very big hand, & mostly, you will not).

The advice by Dohhhhhhh coincides with my thinking. BET, don't CALL. You can BET with absolute poo, but your Opponents HAVE TO HAVE A HAND TO CALL.

Really, as a Tournament progresses, your aggression factor must increase pretty much in a straight line. Early doors, dodge the bulets, nice & quiet, but by the time you are heads-Up you are Raising, literally, with Any Two Cards in Position. And between those two points, you gradually increase the aggro factor.

Also, remember Variance in Tourneys is a an evil thing. You may well go 20 or 30 Tourneys without a Cash. As may Phil Hellmuth. That's how Tourneys work.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Chipped out!!! Tips Please:
    Does anyone have any tips for me? I keep getting chipped out by the big blinds nearly every game I play, I do really well but just can’t reach the money places. in the late stages I hit no cards or I get cards with a small kicker like A 4 or K 7. Question 1: do I call these to the flop. Question 2: do I call any connecting suited cards like 9d 10d. Question 3: if I do call these and don’t hit the flop do I try to bluff. Thanks rawhand
    Posted by rawhand
    Hi Rawhand,

I think you need to work on your agression in the latter stages of tournaments.

If you have very few big blinds left, seeing flops (calling) is not the best strategy in my opinion. In fact calling should be banned (expect possible slowplaying with AA or KK) if you have less than 10bbs...

If you have less than 10bbs to me there is no point seeing flops, its all about agression in position. Getting your chips in first, in position, keeping an eye on the stack sizes around you.

So if you have 109 sooted on the button and its folded round and you have say 5 or 6 bbs you must often take this spot and shovel them in. The blinds, unless mega chipped up, will need a big hand to call you. And if you are called by AK or AQ for example you are not in terrible shape..

Its all about getting your chips in first in the latter stages of tournaments and being agressive, in position. We are beyond the calling and seeing flops stage here. Find an OPEN spot (i.e where no one behind has called or raised) and shove!

The a4 and k7 are hands that you can shove in from the button with, if you are short.. seeing flops with these is just suicide.

Hope this helps and good luck

Greg

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Chipped out!!! Tips Please : Hi Raw, The word "Call" in these circumstances has to be removed from your thinking! (Unless you happen to wake up with a very big hand, & mostly, you will not). The advice by Dohhhhhhh coincides with my thinking. BET, don't CALL. You can BET with absolute p**, but your Opponents HAVE TO HAVE A HAND TO CALL. Really, as a Tournament progresses, your aggression factor must increase pretty much in a straight line. Early doors, dodge the bulets, nice & quiet, but by the time you are heads-Up you are Raising, literally, with Any Two Cards in Position. And between those two points, you gradually increase the aggro factor. Also, remember Variance in Tourneys is a an evil thing. You may well go 20 or 30 Tourneys without a Cash. As may Phil Hellmuth. That's how Tourneys work.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Cheers Tikay
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Chipped out!!! Tips Please : Hi Rawhand, I think you need to work on your agression in the latter stages of tournaments. If you have very few big blinds left, seeing flops (calling) is not the best strategy in my opinion. In fact calling should be banned (expect possible slowplaying with AA or KK) if you have less than 10bbs... If you have less than 10bbs to me there is no point seeing flops, its all about agression in position. Getting your chips in first, in position, keeping an eye on the stack sizes around you. So if you have 109 sooted on the button and its folded round and you have say 5 or 6 bbs you must often take this spot and shovel them in. The blinds, unless mega chipped up, will need a big hand to call you. And if you are called by AK or AQ for example you are not in terrible shape.. Its all about getting your chips in first in the latter stages of tournaments and being agressive, in position. We are beyond the calling and seeing flops stage here. Find an OPEN spot (i.e where no one behind has called or raised) and shove! The a4 and k7 are hands that you can shove in from the button with, if you are short.. seeing flops with these is just suicide. Hope this helps and good luck Greg
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Cheers Greg agression is key
  • edited November 2009
    Hugely broad questions, to which there are no right or wrong answers. It depends on a tonne (spelling nit) of factors as to whether you try and steal in MTT's. Here are a few

1) How often the BB and, to a lesser extent, the SB is defending/3b
    2) Your stack size. ie if you have 13-20 BB's I prob would very rarely be opening as a steal as its more of a re-shove stack size.
    3) Position
    4) Your table image
    5) Stage in the tournament (ie, if its on the bubble bue more willing to steal, however, factor 1, somewhat transcends this)
    6) Opponents stack size. ie, if thinking opponents have a good re-shove stack size, even if they havent shown a propensity to 3b bluff a tonne, they probably will open their ranges for shoving.

Hope this helps.
  • edited November 2009
    Just like to say thanks to all that have replied to this post i entered a £50 gauranteed and came 4th using the tactics listed above
    rawhand4£6.60 + 4 League Points0
  • edited November 2009
    Just like to say thanks to all that have replied to this post i entered a £50 gauranteed and came 4th using the tactics listed above rawhand 4 £6.60 + 4 League Points 0
    Posted by rawhand
    Well done, keep it up!
  • edited November 2009
    thanks to rawhand for starting this thread, and to all the contributors for some really good advice.  Could anyone elaborate on ladyfingrs 2nd point about 13-20bb stack size being right for a re-shove.  Not sure what this means exactly, but I think this could be a good piece of advice to take on board.

thanks

ray
  • edited November 2009
    Nice one rawhand.
    The forum is always a useful play to learn new skills.
  • edited November 2009
    tight aggressive is the key

play few hands, but make sure you win with them

• edited November 2009
    thanks to rawhand for starting this thread, and to all the contributors for some really good advice.  Could anyone elaborate on ladyfingrs 2nd point about 13-20bb stack size being right for a re-shove.  Not sure what this means exactly, but I think this could be a good piece of advice to take on board. thanks ray
    Posted by Buistyboy
    So, like, basically, if you open for like 2.5-3x out of a 13-25BB stack, and the BB calls, theres alot of boards that you can't c-bet cuz of your stack size, that would be + chip EV to bet in the long run with a deeper stack.

eg

You raise 2.5x in the CO, with Kh9s, with a stack of 15 BB's, and the BB, who covers, flats.

Flop Qh7cTc

BB checks.

Now, this is a great spot to c-bet when deep, and barrel alot of turns, since theres so many hands in his range that c/c the flop, and c/f blank turns, but when we're this shallow, b/f isn't really an option as we cripp le ourselves, and since he hits this flop alot, he's probably going to check raise all in a tonne, again, because of our stack size.

So, the best way to gain Fold equity out of our stack size, is to 3b stacks that are like 20-40BB's deep that are opening a little too loose, and too squeeze alot wider, when theres action from players in good steal positions.

Bleh, i'm playing HU when typing this, so hope it didnt come off to rambley, and there prob a ton of run-on-sentances.
  • edited November 2009
    Hi Ladyfingrs

Appreciate the reply, and hope your posting didnt cost you too many chips in your heads up.
    I'm pretty new to the strategy of the game, so only know the absolute basics, so while i am aware of EV, I do not really understand the concept yet.

But i kind of understand the point you are making, and the limited moves you have as options in that situation.  You clearly understand the game at a pretty deep level, so thanks for the help mate.
  • edited November 2009

Hi Ladyfingrs Appreciate the reply, and hope your posting didnt cost you too many chips in your heads up. I'm pretty new to the strategy of the game, so only know the absolute basics, so while i am aware of EV, I do not really understand the concept yet. But i kind of understand the point you are making, and the limited moves you have as options in that situation.  You clearly understand the game at a pretty deep level, so thanks for the help mate.
    Posted by Buistyboy
    EV, or expected value, is the amount of chips/Big blinds/Big bets you expect to make on average, every time you make that play.

As a really basic example, lets say the pot was £20, and I bet £20 into it. I expect my opponent to fold 80% of the time in this situation, and raise 20% of the time. Every time he raises I will fold.

Well, 80% of the time, I win £20

And 20% of the time, I lose £20

So everytime I make this play, I make £16 in equity.

If the number that you make in equity is positive, then the play is +EV

If it's negative, then it's -EV

Hope this helped.

P.S. nah it didn't cost me anything, appreciate the thought tho :)
  • edited November 2009
    Hi LadyF

Thats about as well explained as I've seen this whole EV business.  Its fascinating, but I am nowhere near good enough to be able to sit down and think in those terms yet unfortunately.  However, thanks to generous advice from people like you taking time to post, it can only help and i appreciate it.
  • edited November 2009
    2) Your stack size. ie if you have 13-20 BB's I prob would very rarely be opening as a steal as its more of a re-shove stack size.

Ladyfingrs, just to clarify, are you saying that generally, you wouldnt try a steal with 13-20bbs in an unopened pot, but a better strategy is to make a standard raise with a decent hand, then shove all in after the flop?

Ray
  • edited November 2009
    2) Your stack size. ie if you have 13-20 BB's I prob would very rarely be opening as a steal as its more of a re-shove stack size. Ladyfingrs, just to clarify, are you saying that generally, you wouldnt try a steal with 13-20bbs in an unopened pot, but a better strategy is to make a standard raise with a decent hand, then shove all in after the flop? Ray
    Posted by Buistyboy
    No i'm saying I would be more inclined to be shoving pre OVER a raise made by a player with 20-40BB's (refered to as a 3bet (3b)), and making squeeze plays preflop, than making the opening raise in a unopened pot as a steal.
  • edited November 2009
      I would like to add a point to something that Ladyf said. The comment was about table image.

Before considering the table image you have set up you need to realise what you are playing in. If you are playing in a freeroll tourny or 2p/4p cash or 30p STT then the whole concept of table image becomes irrelevant because most of the players are either unaware of it or dont pay any attention to anything but their own cards. The higher the levels you go to you should be coming across better opponents who are aware of table image and can fold to a big move by a usually passive player.

Also you need to think in a tourny when you are constantly moving around as to whether anyone is even aware of the image you have.It takes quite a while to establish your table image, just folding 5 hands in a row preflop does not indicate a tight player.
  • edited November 2009
    lol ladyfingrs, thanks for your patience here, I think i'm getting there!

Why's it called a 3bet, if you are re-raising all in? Isnt that the second bet after the initial raise from the villain with 20-40bb's, and therefore a 2bet?

And what kind of hands would you say are good enough to make that move with?  Would you do it with air based on the +EV you get over time, and is this a play that is applicable to mtt's specifically?

Feel free to ignore me or tell me to go read a book mate, but i appreciate any comments you have time to make.

Ray 
  • edited November 2009
    lol ladyfingrs, thanks for your patience here, I think i'm getting there! Why's it called a 3bet, if you are re-raising all in? Isnt that the second bet after the initial raise from the villain with 20-40bb's, and therefore a 2bet? And what kind of hands would you say are good enough to make that move with?  Would you do it with air based on the +EV you get over time, and is this a play that is applicable to mtt's specifically? Feel free to ignore me or tell me to go read a book mate, but i appreciate any comments you have time to make. Ray 
    Posted by Buistyboy
    For whatever reason, the first raise is classified as the second bet, weird terminology, but thats what it is I guess.

The range you can shove and it be +EV is dependant on the type of villain and, by extension, how often he will fold.

It's hard to quantify it in general terms.

sry.

also @ raffious or w/e ur name is i forgot and cba to check, i dont feel I need to justify myself over a 16 game sample size over what is, for the most part £22+ MTT's, with the occasional £11 open.

Username Games Played Av. Profit Av. Stake Av. ROI Total Profit Form Ability /100 Network Filter
    2Wisdomy 507 $3   $19   11% $1,303   Tilt 74 PokerStars SNG Only
  • edited November 2009
    idk how good you are at maths but $1300-$131=profit
  • edited November 2009
    isnt it called a 3bet coz the blinds count as the first bet?
  • edited November 2009
    isnt it called a 3bet coz the blinds count as the first bet?
    Posted by SHANXTA
    Yes, pre-flop.
  • edited November 2009
    Position is every thing.

At the latter stages,

RAISE OR FOLD

Grow some nuts, if you get sucked out, so be it.
  • edited November 2009
    pump em or dumpem when u get to latter end of the tourney