You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Decent 2p/4p cash win! But played right?

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
I'm generally useless on cash tables but I won a nice pot a little earlier with pocket As. I'm posting this partially to show a decent win but also to ask if I played it right? Looking back myself, I think I did okay...
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Player 1Sit out    
Player 2Small blind £0.02£0.02£7.85
Player 3Big blind £0.04£0.06£2.75
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

Player 4Call £0.04£0.10£3.10
JoshlarrRaise £0.16£0.26£4.48
Player 5Fold    
Player 2Call £0.14£0.40£7.71
Player 3Fold    
Player 4Fold    
Flop

• K

Player 2Check    
JoshlarrCheck    
Turn

• Q

Player 2Check    
JoshlarrBet £0.20£0.60£4.28
Player 2Raise £4.16£4.76£3.55
JoshlarrAll-in £4.28£9.04£0.00
Player 2Call £0.32£9.36£3.23
Player 2Show
  • K

JoshlarrShow
  • A
  • A

River

• Q

JoshlarrWinTwo Pairs, Aces and Queens£8.65 £8.65
Obviously in dream world you would want to get everything in pre-flop with pocket As but that's not going to get called 9 times out of 10 so I went for 4BBs to cover the call from P4.

On the flop, I chose to check back as I felt an extra card was no danger and to possibly trap any weak pairs.

I'm obviously not going to do that again on the turn and P2 really does seem to be playing his Ks strangely, making it seem as if he has nothing and I'm not going to get much value out of the hand. I put in a half pot bet and to my suprise P2 puts for me to go all in.

I could be in trouble against 2 pairs but after making it seem like he has nothing, P2 just looks as if he's shoving to take the pot down. It seemed like an easy all-in.

So...
Was I right to check back on the flop?
Did it ever look like I was against 2 pairs?

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Sometimes the Sky HHs confuse me lol... did you raise to a total of 16p or is that 16p on top of his 4p for a total of 20p?

Either way, I usually raise to about 20-24p here (total).

As played, bet the flop abuot 25p.

And bet the turn about 2 thirds of the pot too.

Obviously this is a dream situation on the turn and why we love 4NL. Sometimes it'll be 2prs, sets and sometimes it'll be 1pr or 1pr + draw but don't think you can ever fold there. If you see him turn up with something funky (like the junk he had here) make a note of what he overplays hands like TP
  • edited December 2012
    Thanks for your feedback!

I raised it to a total of 16p pre so I guess it should have been a little more.

The flop was just a case of I didn't think he was on anything so it was time to make myself look the same and trap him in a corner. You're right though, I should probably have bet just over half the pot. 

It was certainly poorly played from him imo, he obviously thought he had it with top pair so the all in must have been to push me off and not for me to actually call it. I say all in but it wasn't, it was 60p off! What's the point in leaving that behind? Truly strange play!
  • edited December 2012
    I tend to raise a little bigger after 1 limper too unless everybody is playing tightish (doesn't usually happen at NL4) but 16p is fine also.

Agree with Lambert, bet the flop.

• edited December 2012
    why did you check that flop?
  • edited January 2013
    I agree now that I should have bet the flop but at the time I saw myself ahead and thought the check would trap any underpair. Two pairs could have easily come out for him though so I guess I got lucky!

At least it can be said that he didn't get unlucky, he played his Ks terribly imo...

By the way, HAPPY NEW YEAR! (My first post of 2013)

Thanks for your feedback!
  • edited January 2013
    Would you cbet this flop if you'd not got AA and missed completely?
  • edited January 2013
    no u checked the flop get the max out of ya hand bet bet bet dnt ever slow play gets u in trouble and u dnt win as much 
  • edited January 2013
    bet the flop

you only got paid off because you were lucky he had tp
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Decent 2p/4p cash win! But played right?:
    Would you cbet this flop if you'd not got AA and missed completely?
    Posted by AcidMan27

I think I'd feel the need to in position, yeah...

I'm glad I posted the hand, It's always nice to know when you could have played better despite the fact you won. It's a little different when you don't win but I guess poor play is the whole reason why you haven't won ahah

Thanks for the responses all!
  • edited January 2013
    If you have a good hand please never ever think 'trapping' is the best option. So many lower limit players do this and what happens is you 'trap' them and win a small pot. Just bet as close to pot as possible and get paid when they have something. You cant trap someone who is just playing their cards.