You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HYPERTURBOS: £300-£3000.

edited January 2013 in Poker Chat
Going to deposit £300 tomorrow and try to build it up playing £10 hypers only. May raise to £20 if I get to about £1000. What do you guys think? Never tried this before, could I do it? Thanks for all your help. Been playing them on Full Tilt recently but everytime I seem to have the other guy dominated they hit and win so I think I will try this site.

Comments

• edited December 2012
    why would this site be differ to any other poker is poker variance happens bad beats happen tbh with a £300 roll u shouldnt be playing £10 hypers only 30 buy ins can easily get on a bad run try the £5.25 1s to start of with would be my advice see how u do on them over a period of time if u crush it then take a step up
  • edited December 2012
    It was over a high volume. I crushed them but my god 1 and 2 outers were happening 30-50% of the time. I accept variance is part of the game though and welcome that but it has to be fair. Ok I will start on the £5.25s and see how I go.
  • edited December 2012
    good luck lets hope u do awesommeeee
  • edited December 2012
    Hopefully mate, just patience is a big key for me. I crush a lot of games but then just lose patience if I am on a bad run or something but I am going to keep patient this time no matter how frustrating it gets.
  • edited December 2012
    Thinking of doing a blog to update my progress aswell, what do you think?
  • edited December 2012
    yeah go for it :)
  • edited December 2012
    Will do. Thanks for the advice.
  • edited December 2012
    Good Luck.

£300 aint enough for £10s imo, I've played alot of Hypers and recently stepped up to £10s and most sessions involves swings of +/- £80+. What would 2 losing sessions do to your roll?

£300 is fine to be playing £5s though as long as you're happy to step down if things go badly.

Swings in Hypers can be pretty mental so you need a decent amount of BIs (like 50+)
  • edited December 2012
    Yeah I'm going to start with 5s or maybe even 3s to be a bit more secure, the swings are crazy but I think overall the game is beatable but its a big test of patience and mental willpower. How much volume should I try and put in do you think?
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: HYPERTURBOS: £300-£3000.:
    Yeah I'm going to start with 5s or maybe even 3s to be a bit more secure, the swings are crazy but I think overall the game is beatable but its a big test of patience and mental willpower. How much volume should I try and put in do you think?
    Posted by awesomeee
    Yeah they are VERY beatable, especially on Sky.

I normally 2table, which means I get in about 25 games per hour, and I usually play for an hour or two if I'm doing a session but I have a full time job, girlfriend, kids etc so don't play as much as I'd like to.
  • edited December 2012
    Good luck.

To back up what's been said by others the beats in hypers come thick and fast. You'll see it all; 2-outers, 3 outers, runner-runners, several times per session, no matter where you play. So you're gonna need to be very strong mentally and pretty much tilt-proof. 

While the games are fairly soft overall on Sky there are still a few very strong winning regs that will be tough to beat. You'll soon work out who they are, if you can avoid those guys it'll make your job much easier.

A blog would be great, avoid including too many hand histories, most readers find them a put-off.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: HYPERTURBOS: £300-£3000. : Yeah they are VERY beatable, especially on Sky. I normally 2table, which means I get in about 25 games per hour, and I usually play for an hour or two if I'm doing a session but I have a full time job, girlfriend, kids etc so don't play as much as I'd like to.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I prefer to  1 table but maybe 2 tabling is a good idea as to be successful the more volume I manage to put in the better. But I'm in Colombia with my girlfriend at the moment so when I get the chance to play I'm going to have to try and play at least 50-100 a time. 
    Good luck with yours. Maybe look forward to playing you sometime. I'm going to try and get to some SPT's this year.
  • edited January 2013
    Good luck. To back up what's been said by others the beats in hypers come thick and fast. You'll see it all; 2-outers, 3 outers, runner-runners, several times per session, no matter where you play. So you're gonna need to be very strong mentally and pretty much tilt-proof.  While the games are fairly soft overall on Sky there are still a few very strong winning regs that will be tough to beat. You'll soon work out who they are, if you can avoid those guys it'll make your job much easier. A blog would be great, avoid including too many hand histories, most readers find them a put-off.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    To be honest I will only post hand histories if they are interesting or I want other players opinions on what move I should have made. I'm not going to keep posting bad beat stories all the time because it just makes you sound like an idiot and there is no point coplaining because it will not change the result. Variance is part of the game and to be successful you have to welcome that and try to deal with it as best you can. 
    And yeah tilt is a big issue, I think my best bet is to just play and if I feel bored or tilted or anything that can affect my game then I just need to take a break and come back refreshed with a different mindset.
    When you play hypers against people you realise the strong and weak players straight away. Its more easily transparent in my opinion than some other forms of the game.
  • edited January 2013
    Yeah 100% agree that you can spot weak Hyper players SO fast.

With regard to 2tabling you could just take ya time, I used to only play 1 and when I tried 2 it was a struggle but I've eventually got used to it and don't think I play any worse at all by playing 2.

I've tried 3tabling a few times and it's just a nightmare and I completely lose track of stack sizes, opponent tendancies etc and have sometimes found myself just looking at the table, seeing my hand thinking 'easy fold' and do, then I realise stack sizes meant it's a definite jam and I'm gutted cos you can't afford to be missing too many opportunities in them especially like 20/40 blinds onwards.
  • edited January 2013
    Yeah 100% agree that you can spot weak Hyper players SO fast. With regard to 2tabling you could just take ya time, I used to only play 1 and when I tried 2 it was a struggle but I've eventually got used to it and don't think I play any worse at all by playing 2. I've tried 3tabling a few times and it's just a nightmare and I completely lose track of stack sizes, opponent tendancies etc and have sometimes found myself just looking at the table, seeing my hand thinking 'easy fold' and do, then I realise stack sizes meant it's a definite jam and I'm gutted cos you can't afford to be missing too many opportunities in them especially like 20/40 blinds onwards.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Yeah their tendancies and shoving ranges can quickly and easily show whether they are strong and profitable or just weak and a fish in probably only one game. I find most people are too aggressive and any ace high you are gonna be 60% to win the game because they reraise shove or call a shove with any 2 sometimes or j/10-q/j type hands. In my opinion I only really shove these hands when I have 8-10 big blinds or less. 
    I have been thinking about it and I think I will just play one table at a time but try and dedicate a bit more time to put the volume in because I find it affects my game unless I'm multitabling tournaments, these seem much more profitable if all your attention is on one table I think.
  • edited January 2013
    Welcome to SP Awsomee. Having played thousands of hypers on sky I would concur with Lambert, the standard on sky is much worse than full tilt/stars.

Initially I was losing money at hypers and tilting off on russian roulettes which have ruined my scope. However, in the last year I have shown a profit allbeit a very small one.

Sky players are generally more passive, they dont understand the correct way to play hypers, for example there are loads of players that will limp premium hands/pairs on the button not just when blinds are bigger but right from the beginning. There is one player, whose name resembles a hot spice who will either, limp open 4/5 xbb or shove at any level of blinds. You can pretty much assign a correct range with this sort of play, actually defeating it is another matter but  

One thing I do is keep copious amounts of notes on players, not just styles but also what they have done in the past in certain situations. Unlike on stars you will come across the same players every day.

With regards to volume if you 2 table at £10, you can build up a decent level of cash for points which is sky's rakeback scheme. Play 2000 in a month(equivalent to 10,000 points) and you get a £280 quid bonus, play 4000 and its nearer £800. Not to be sniffed at.  Once you get 10,000 points you gain entry to skys priority club, if you maintain at least this level of points for 2/3 months you end up getting enhanced rakeback for the same points. I recogn I have now made in the region  of £10k in rakeback over the last two years which more than wipes out any losses which show on scope.
  • edited January 2013
    I will definitely trying to be putting in the volume to get as much rake back as I possibly can because when you are doing something like this I know how important that is. If you make a little loss then the rakeback can turn it into a little profit and you don't feel so bad about things. And well if you make a profit then its a lovely bonus to have on top of it! :)

I can't start with £10's yet though because my opening bankroll is only £300 and if I went on a bad run to start with then it might completely tilt me. But I think starting with £5s is completely fine and I can build up a healthy cash for points bonus because I intend to be playing a lot this month... all be it 5 hours behind because I'm in a different time zone!

But yeah I played a few hypers on here before and I know the guy you speak of.. he seemed like a complete clown and I think I made a £20 profit from him in like 8 hypers for a £5 buy in which by any standards is just great!
    You are right about the notes. Specific notes on exactly what players have been doing really really help when you are in a difficult spot and most of the time make you do the correct thing!

Thanks for the welcome and advice, really appreciate it!
    UP THE GOONERS!
  • edited January 2013
    Lol @ your comment about 1 player Gooner :P

There are a couple of these around, it's ridic cos they still raise/fold sometimes after 4xing which is just terrible. The massive edge imo is just that most people in them have no idea how to play a short stack, the other day I played one and they'd kept timing the bar down (not sure if it was deliberate or not) but blinds got to 40/80, said person had like 250 and limp/folded the button lol. Limp/folding from like 4-5xBB is pretty common place.
  • edited January 2013
    Hahaha! It was funny, I have hardly played on here and I know who he is talking about!

The same thing happens on full tilt and pokerstars a lot from my experiences. How can you limp or raise fold with 5 big blinds. It is just a ridiculously poor play. These are fundimentals of poker especially in these type of games. Where they get the money to keep playing is beyond me but it is great because it means profits for us!
  • edited January 2013
    I used to play loads of these and i think it is possible to have an egde in these even tho the varience can be crazy.  Like Lambert says lots of people in these dont know how to play a stack size.  I play a different strategy in these from a lot of people but it works for me.  min raising at 10/20 then at 15/30 i basically limp pretty much every button.  I think limping is a decent strategy when we get to 15/30 as il limp then min bet a lot of flops and just take the pot down whereas if i min raise my cbet will have to be bigger i found limping at this level worked out quite well for me.  Then when you get to the 20/40 level its basically allin or fold i will be shoving loads at this stage.  Also at the 15/30 level you can steal a lot of chips when they limp if they limp and i have a hand like,j10, q10 il jam.  Your edge in this game will not be postflop poker it will be your shoving ranges and calling ranges.

• edited January 2013

Volume is the key to overcoming variance on hypers. Ive recently gone from £30 up to £600 playing 5rs and then down to £400, when I hit a downswing I tend to switch disciplines either to cash or mtts. I dont have a bankroll as such just deposit out of income, but never put more than a few hundred quid down so I can still eat which is more important than poker !

You just missed out on the christmas bonanza, I have found this time to be my most profitable over the few years I have been playing on sky. This year cash has been good to me.

• edited January 2013
    I used to play loads of these and i think it is possible to have an egde in these even tho the varience can be crazy.  Like Lambert says lots of people in these dont know how to play a stack size.  I play a different strategy in these from a lot of people but it works for me.  min raising at 10/20 then at 15/30 i basically limp pretty much every button.  I think limping is a decent strategy when we get to 15/30 as il limp then min bet a lot of flops and just take the pot down whereas if i min raise my cbet will have to be bigger i found limping at this level worked out quite well for me.  Then when you get to the 20/40 level its basically allin or fold i will be shoving loads at this stage.  Also at the 15/30 level you can steal a lot of chips when they limp if they limp and i have a hand like,j10, q10 il jam.  Your edge in this game will not be postflop poker it will be your shoving ranges and calling ranges.
    Posted by bearlyther
    Yeah I completely agree but there is hardly any post flop play so its all about shoving and calling ranges and timing. I can understand your stratergy of limping but for me I can't do it, it is too weak... I think raising constantly puts the other player under constant pressure and makes them make some stupid re-raise shoves and that one time you have a decent hand you can snap them off. The variance is so crazy and sometimes amazing but with a decent volume I don't see why it caqn't be profitable especially with cash for points!
  • edited January 2013
    Posted by bearlyther
    Funny you should say that, but on sky I have adjusted my style to something similar to what you have described. However, I dont play this way every game to keep the op guessing. These can be very tilting when youve been on the sharp end of several donk outs and your hands wont stand up.
  • edited January 2013
    Volume is the key to overcoming variance on hypers. Ive recently gone from £30 up to £600 playing 5rs and then down to £400, when I hit a downswing I tend to switch disciplines either to cash or mtts. I dont have a bankroll as such just deposit out of income, but never put more than a few hundred quid down so I can still eat which is more important than poker ! You just missed out on the christmas bonanza, I have found this time to be my most profitable over the few years I have been playing on sky. This year cash has been good to me.
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    Of course the more you play if you have an edge the more that will show through in your profits. I suppose a bad run isn't that bad if you have already made 20 times your money! some of these documentaries you see about people putting every last penny they have into poker and losing their house and having nothing to eat is just a joke. Unless you get to the point where you are playing massive stakes and living from the game then there is no need for that kind of crazy behaviour. I seem to get bored when playing cash.
  • edited January 2013
    Another decent strategy in these is because im limping a lot in the 15/30 level at the 25/50 level i can limp big with like 1010 upwards and alot of the time thell jam as they see it is weakness and jam to pick up the blinds.  I know limping is not how to play normal poker but i think it can work very well in these games if you use it in the right way.  There are some well known pros who adapt this strategy heads up like Gus Hansen and Sam Trickett they limp pretty much every single  button.
  • edited January 2013
    Posted by bearlyther
    Listen to this guy, he is unbeatable in my experience!!!! ;)

Good luck with your challenge, will prob see you at the tables!
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: HYPERTURBOS: £300-£3000. : Listen to this guy, he is unbeatable in my experience!!!! ;) Good luck with your challenge, will prob see you at the tables!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Hahaha he is actually right. Didn't play much today because I got bitten by a mosquito and it got infected and I had to go to the hospital here in Colombia and they injected me in my backside lol!
    But from the games I did play today limping definitely seems the way to go. When you raise, all the opponent has to do is re-raise a lot and it puts you on the back foot. So tomorrow I'm going to play more and start limping for sure!