You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Full house bad luck or bad play?

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Hi all, I've been away from poker for a few months now and am looking to get back in to it for the new year.

I've just played this hand in a DYM and before labelling it as bad luck, I'd like to know if you think I played it right or not?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
JoshlarrSmall blind 50.0050.002960.00
Player 2Big blind 100.00150.002955.00
 Your hole cards

Player 3Raise 200.00350.001645.00
Player 4Fold    
Player 5Fold    
Player 6Fold    
JoshlarrRaise 400.00750.002560.00
Player 2Fold    
Player 3Raise 500.001250.001145.00
JoshlarrCall 250.001500.002310.00
Flop

• K

JoshlarrCheck    
Player 3Check    
Turn

• Q

JoshlarrBet 600.002100.001710.00
Player 3Call 600.002700.00545.00
River

JoshlarrBet 600.003300.001110.00
Player 3All-in 545.003845.000.00
JoshlarrUnmatched bet 55.003790.001165.00
JoshlarrShow

Player 3Show
  • K
  • K

Player 3WinFull House, Kings and 5s3790.00 3790.00
My pre-flop raise was a little stingy as I wasn't sure if I should be playing pocket 3s
Post-flop I was thinking maybe he had kings, so went for the check to see the reaction
On the turn, I put a decent bet in trying to rep the Q thinking that would steal it and was shocked to see the call
As for the river, I thought I was in heaven and my only option was to put him all in
Then showdown time, BOOM!

All-in-all I think I played it quite well and just hit a bit of bad luck. I may be wrong though, so that's why I'm asking!

Comments

• edited December 2012
    fold pre

3betting an utg min raise w/ 33 in a dym is never a good idea really. and you can never peel

• edited December 2012
    Cheers, I always felt I shouldn't have played it. The min raise just dragged me in though, making me think he hand nothing. I was obviously wrong ahahh!
  • edited December 2012
    Dont understand the min raise pre at all.   What can it achieve apart from:1. a call ,where you will almost always face 3 over cards Out of pos on the flop and have no idea where you are 2. A raise and do you really want to get 60% of your chips in at best flipping but likely to be dominated.
    They are never folding to a min raise here.
    Maybe you can set mine here and call the 150 but as Percival says in a DYM and with the stacks as they are just fold pre.
  • edited December 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. I did think about and almost did fold but just got tempted by the fact that I'd not played a hand in a while (I know I shouldn't) and the poor raise from P3. That's my reasoning yet I only put a min raise in myself because of the cards which really shouts out that I should have folded. After all, if you can't put in a decent raise in pre-flop then you shouldn't really be playing the cards...

Post flop, I was playing them as a much bigger pair.

Rather than it being poor or unlucky play, I think it's just a case of poor play almost getting lucky. I have to say though, for pocket Ks P3 will have felt like he was in heaven from my play!

It's certainly a hand I've learnt a lot from and reminded myself about a lot through :)
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Full house bad luck or bad play?:
    Thanks for the feedback. I did think about and almost did fold but just got tempted by the fact that I'd not played a hand in a while (I know I shouldn't) and the poor raise from P3. That's my reasoning yet I only put a min raise in myself because of the cards which really shouts out that I should have folded. After all, if you can't put in a decent raise in pre-flop then you shouldn't really be playing the cards... Post flop, I was playing them as a much bigger pair. Rather than it being poor or unlucky play, I think it's just a case of poor play almost getting lucky. I have to say though, for pocket Ks P3 will have felt like he was in heaven from my play! It's certainly a hand I've learnt a lot from and reminded myself about a lot through :)
    Posted by Joshlarr
    Nice reply
    Good luck in the future.
  • edited December 2012
    ..just got tempted by the fact that I'd not played a hand in a while (I know I shouldn't) ..Posted by Joshlarr
    ie. tilt ;)

maybe try flat his minraise utg (and have a plan otf), but deffo not 3bet and DEFFO FOLD to 4bet imho..
    also when he checks the flop that should ring alarm bells, he should cbet that all day long with air or not...
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Full house bad luck or bad play? : ie. tilt ;) maybe try flat his minraise utg (and have a plan otf), but deffo not 3bet and DEFFO FOLD to 4bet imho.. also when he checks the flop that should ring alarm bells, he should cbet that all day long with air or not...
    Posted by montymole

No we can never ever be set mining with these stack sizes.

• edited December 2012
    HI J

Sorry m8 but you're heading for trouble here by reraising. TBH its level 3 and after a raise utg then this is a fold imo. at the worst call and with no three close down. Worse still you are oop too. You have to realise that you've used a large portion of your stack just getting to see a flop. In dym's that's not good. Without a set small pprs are horrible to play and should be left to bubble play when stack sizes justify ai's etc. When flop comes down you can easily be behind as probably at least two higher cards will be there. Then are you betting for value or a bluff? Especially oop you can lose half your stack before realising you must give it up and fight with the small stack or sigh call. This is not the correct tactic for dym's. There are even occasions when folding KK is correct on the bubble for certain stack sizes. 
      You can't really go fishing in dym's.
    All the best for 2013
  • edited December 2012
    Thanks folks :)

Plenty of stuff to bear in mind. I'm glad I posted it tbh, I've learnt a lot more from it than I thought I would. In fact, I may even go as far to say I'm glad I didn't get lucky with the full house otherwise I would never have stopped to think. 

Have a good one tonight, even if you're just sitting in playing poker!
  • edited December 2012
    3betting is pretty bad in this spot especially in a DYM.

If you think he has Kings or even jsut Kx then why would you even want to 'rep the Q' cos it's behind.

River is just sigh, but you'd gone too far by that point to do much else.
  • edited December 2012
    If you think he has Kings or even jsut Kx then why would you even want to 'rep the Q' cos it's behind. 
    Posted by Lambert180
    I thought he had Ks until the check back, I think he would have been betting if he just had the pair so that put me off the initial thought. I was far from right though, he had me in a nice little trap!
  • edited January 2013
    i would straight up fold this if its raised before you with more action to come and your in a bad position, after it gets raised again after you you should be very catious once you made that call 
  • edited January 2013
    I've never given advice on here before so bare with me... Hopefully I won't get shot down by someone.  Just trying to help :)

1) With small pocket pairs you want to be paying the smallest amount of money to see a flop.  This is for two reasons really.  Generally you just want to see if a 3 will pop up on the flop and you dont want to waste uneeded extra money.  The vast amount of time it wont and you should be thinking about a fold if there are 3 overs or no miracle straight opportunity. Second reason is that if you do hit that miracle 3, hopefully more people will be in the hand to help you increase the size of the pot as more people = more draws on the board. Bigger pot = bigger win.

2) Regarding this specific hand, min raise-reraise utg or call-raise utg is an indicator of a massive hand.  When he reraises your raise pre (I would have just flat called to see a flop) alarm bells should be going off i.e AA, KK or possibly QQ.  It is unlikely that he'd be repping any other hand, unless he is a very loose aggressive player.

3) Checking the flop is fine... but with the K on the board, and no 3 it is likely youd be looking to get out the hand asap.

4) Just because he's checked on the flop does not mean he doesnt have anything.  Infact it usually means otherwise with a 4 bet pre. Youve bet when another decent over card has come onto the board.  No need to go chasing a pot you are a serious underdog to win.  (If I was thinking about bluffing here i'd be betting much stronger too) Another check here would do. Again, looking to fold if he raised.

5) If by some sort of unnatural miracle you had made it to the river and the 3 popped out not having paid anymore chips, it would be hard to fold the FH... but it all stems from that initial preflop action.  One reraise like that can cost you a game, when youre trying to represent a stronger hand and you find yourself completely dominated.

Hope this helps. xxx
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks for the feedback. I did think about and almost did fold but just got tempted by the fact that I'd not played a hand in a while (I know I shouldn't) and the poor raise from P3. That's my reasoning yet I only put a min raise in myself because of the cards which really shouts out that I should have folded. After all, if you can't put in a decent raise in pre-flop then you shouldn't really be playing the cards... Post flop, I was playing them as a much bigger pair. Rather than it being poor or unlucky play, I think it's just a case of poor play almost getting lucky. I have to say though, for pocket Ks P3 will have felt like he was in heaven from my play! It's certainly a hand I've learnt a lot from and reminded myself about a lot through :)
    Posted by Joshlarr
    why do u think that P3 has played the hand badly?

does your raise size change to due hand strength?