You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

was my preflop and flop ok

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
quite often on these tables i notice people just limp or min bet even if they hold QQ+was it ok for me to just make the call with my pocket twos with me being the small blind?
in terms of the flop was the reraise ok or should i have called or even jumped straight in with a bet
craigcu12 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £7.09
xBig blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.08
 Your hole cards

yRaise  £0.08 £0.14 £1.57
zFold     
zFold     
craigcu12 Call  £0.06 £0.20 £7.03
xCall  £0.04 £0.24 £3.04
Flop

• K

craigcu12 Check     
xCheck     
yBet  £0.12 £0.36 £1.45
craigcu12 Raise  £0.24 £0.60 £6.79

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Just flatting from the SB here is fine, in fact it's the only way to play it imo.

Checking the flop is fine, raising the flop is fine but make it a proper raise. Clicking it back looks so strong for 1 (bet you'd never do this if you didn't have a set) and secondly if they have Kx, a FD, 2pr etc then you wanna get them to put in as much as possible.

If you raise to like 35p and they fold, chances are they'd have folded to the click back anyway.
  • edited January 2013
    Pre-flop is perfect. No reason to raise here with 22. If you flop a set you are likely to win a big pot so 3-betting makes no sense. Either he folds to the 3bet and you pick up 3-4BBs, he 4bets and you have to fold. On top of this if he calls and you flop a set you are less likely to get paid off (because 3bets usually indicate strong pre-flop holding) and when you miss you are out of possition with 4th pair.

On the flop it's all about value so you need to assess the player and the flop. Does the villian c-bet often? does the villian's range hit this flop? Are there any draws out?

Given the flop I'd say a c-bet is fairly likely. It's king-high so there is a possibiliy he has Kx and think he's betting for value, It's also possible they have clubs and so may bet their equity as well. Also possible he has a pocket pair like 66-QQ or even AA. So a check-raise is a good idea. However we are after maximum value from our very strong, disguised hand. If the villian is c-betting total air then he is folding anyway. But if he has a Kx hand or a PP he is likely to call or even 3bet the flop. Therefore you can bet way more. Put is this way, if you had KQ in this spot how big a bet would you call? I think you can go up to 40p and still get a call from Kx.

Unfortunatly sometimes he will just bet c-betting a hand like Jh9h or a rag ace that totally missed. That's poker, sometimes you don't get action. Don't let these occasions trick you into think you have to min bet everything because people never call.
  • edited January 2013
    You could probably raise double what you did on the flop and you would still get called by the exact same range of hands that call the minraise. Also if he has a draw hes correct to call. If he calls and beats you he will have played it fine. Do you want to be the guy who helps his opponents play better? If you raise to 40-50p suddenly hes making all kinds of bad decisions and you're making money.
  • edited January 2013

ithanks for the advice here is how it came out

Turn

• J

craigcu12 Bet  £0.28 £1.00 £6.51
    cricket119 Call  £0.28 £1.28 £1.05
    River

• K

craigcu12 Check     
    cricket119 All-in  £1.05 £2.33 £0.00
    craigcu12 Call  £1.05 £3.38 £5.46
    craigcu12 Show

cricket119 Show
    • A

craigcu12 Win Full House, 2s and Kings £3.12  £8.58
    with the J now out i decided on a continueation bet then on the river the reason i checked first was because i got a feeling he would have folded a bet a unless he had a flush so decided to check and if he did have a flush he would bet or shove
    of course any other club i would have folded only a Q would have cost me