You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

My path on SKY POKER... here we go!

edited January 2013 in Poker Chat
I have been playing poker for about two years now since learning about it in a snooker club and then falling in love with the game from then on and always having a nagging feeling in my mind that there is money to be made online. But with my financial situation its hard to have a decent enough bankroll to make anything serious at the moment, instead I know I'm going to have to build it up and try to make a miraculous rise through the stakes to get to the very top. I know there will be many ups and downs along the way but I'm feeling ready and my mindset is telling me I can handle it.

For those of you that haven't read my other thread I will be starting with a bankroll of £300 today and trying to build it up through just playing Hyper Turbo SnGs at the £5.25 level to begin with and I will be updating my progress daily on this blog. I know its possible to turn my initial deposit into something meaningful, it will just take a lot of time and effort and willpower!

I was playing a bit on here before at micro stakes just testing the site and the software and to be honest I like it. It's very unique and different to other online poker software and you don't feel like a tiny fish in a massive pond because of the great community aspect.
Been playing these kind of sit and gos on Full Tilt with a lot of success but the way the software runs is a put of for me and their rakeback is just a complete joke to me unless your name is Gus Hansen or Viktor Blom of course.

I just woke up after a nice new years eve last night with my girlfriend and I'm ready to start playing so here goes!
I'm in Colombia at the moment so apologies if the blog is updated a bit behind schedule some days but because of the time zone I will always be a bit behind until I return to the UK.

Today should be a great day with loads of poker, my beloved Arsenal hopefully picking up three points against Southampton and an epic encounter between Phil Taylor and Michael van Gerwen in the final of the PDC World Darts Championship!

Happy New Year and good luck to all!

Comments

• edited January 2013
    In Response to My path on SKY POKER... here we go!:
    I have been playing poker for about two years now since learning about it in a snooker club and then falling in love with the game from then on and always having a nagging feeling in my mind that there is money to be made online. But with my financial situation its hard to have a decent enough bankroll to make anything serious at the moment, instead I know I'm going to have to build it up and try to make a miraculous rise through the stakes to get to the very top. I know there will be many ups and downs along the way but I'm feeling ready and my mindset is telling me I can handle it. For those of you that haven't read my other thread I will be starting with a bankroll of £300 today and trying to build it up through just playing Hyper Turbo SnGs at the £5.25 level to begin with and I will be updating my progress daily on this blog. I know its possible to turn my initial deposit into something meaningful, it will just take a lot of time and effort and willpower! I was playing a bit on here before at micro stakes just testing the site and the software and to be honest I like it. It's very unique and different to other online poker software and you don't feel like a tiny fish in a massive pond because of the great community aspect. Been playing these kind of sit and gos on Full Tilt with a lot of success but the way the software runs is a put of for me and their rakeback is just a complete joke to me unless your name is Gus Hansen or Viktor Blom of course. I just woke up after a nice new years eve last night with my girlfriend and I'm ready to start playing so here goes! I'm in Colombia at the moment so apologies if the blog is updated a bit behind schedule some days but because of the time zone I will always be a bit behind until I return to the UK. Today should be a great day with loads of poker, my beloved Arsenal hopefully picking up three points against Southampton and an epic encounter between Phil Taylor and Michael van Gerwen in the final of the PDC World Darts Championship! Happy New Year and good luck to all!
    Posted by awesomeee
    Good to see another gooner joining the ranks! All the best with your challenge, £300 is plenty for 5rs.

Unfortunately the community does have those from the dark side of north london, but one in particular is a decent fellow if a little large. Whatever you do dont mention the caribbean package he bubbled after getting past 9,989 only to finish 11th on the bubble, everyone else does !
  • edited January 2013

Wishing you the very best of luck, I'll be following with interest.

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: My path on SKY POKER... here we go!:
    In Response to My path on SKY POKER... here we go! : Good to see another gooner joining the ranks! All the best with your challenge, £300 is plenty for 5rs. Unfortunately the community does have those from the dark side of north london, but one in particular is a decent fellow if a little large. Whatever you do dont mention the caribbean package he bubbled after getting past 9,989 only to finish 11th on the bubble, everyone else does !
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    Hahaha! If I did that, I think I would be in tears even about 10 years after the thing happened. And I can handle the ones from the side of North London with no electricity, just got to tell them to mind the gap! And yeah I'm playing now, just started. I'll be updating my progress at the end of the day!
  • edited January 2013
  • edited January 2013

You sound as though you have a great mindset. That's more than half the battle. Best of luck in 2013. 
  • edited January 2013
    IM A GOONER TO HOPE WE WIN TODAY MAKING HARD WORK OF IT SO FAR WISH U LUCK AT THE TABLES AWESOME NO DOUBT WE WILL CLASH ON A TABLE SOON ATLEAST A GOONER WILL WIN :)
  • edited January 2013
    Good luck with the challenge.  What are you doing in columbia at the minute if you dont mind me asking and how is it?  I have a couple of friends from Columbia as i used to live over in Florida for a year and worked with a couple of people from there.
  • edited January 2013
    IM A GOONER TO HOPE WE WIN TODAY MAKING HARD WORK OF IT SO FAR WISH U LUCK AT THE TABLES AWESOME NO DOUBT WE WILL CLASH ON A TABLE SOON ATLEAST A GOONER WILL WIN :)
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    a lolbad result for you guys today
  • edited January 2013
    Try and resist the good stuff while grinding!
  • edited January 2013
    You sound as though you have a great mindset. That's more than half the battle. Best of luck in 2013. 
    Posted by patwalshh
    I used to get really frustrated and upset when I got beaten or took a beat but now I find it funny so if you can shrug it off, over time it wont affect you. Thanks, best of luck to you too in your DYM's.
  • edited January 2013
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    We always make hard work of it, it is what we do best but when we turn it on there is no team like us. But that is rare these days especially with the poor mans Henry up front, (WALCOTT). Why he isn't playing Giroud just completely confuses me.... he is losing it. He plays Ramsey on the wing and he needs to be in the middle. So many problems. We will finish a dull 4th again I suppose.
    Yeah hope to play you sometime, it is a win win! :)
  • edited January 2013
    Good luck with the challenge.  What are you doing in columbia at the minute if you dont mind me asking and how is it?  I have a couple of friends from Columbia as i used to live over in Florida for a year and worked with a couple of people from there.
    Posted by bearlyther
    I just came here to live with my girlfriend for a while. I was getting so bored in London and she told me to come so I thought why not and I absolutely love it here! The weather is perfect and everything is so relaxed! Thanks for wishing me luck, all the best to you too!
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: My path on SKY POKER... here we go! : a lolbad result for you guys today
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Most results are LOL moments these days but win lose or draw, I'm AFC till I die ;)
  • edited January 2013
    Try and resist the good stuff while grinding!
    Posted by Donttelmum
    LOL! Hmmmm :P. The country isn't as drug orientated as I thought to be honest!
  • edited January 2013
    Well today didn't go as I intended to say the least. I only managed to play about 30 hypers and managed a little £1.75 profit. Profit is profit I suppose! 

I use a very aggressive stratergy in these games but to be honest from what I have seen so far today that doesn't work. It seems a lot better to limp and fold until it gets to the higher blinds when it is shove or fold. The opponents seem to play back too much if you raise near enough every button and if they do that by raising the button nearly all the time becomes a massive losing play. But we live and learn and move on. Tomorrow I will adapt the limping element into my game and hopefully have a few more good results!

I didn't manage to play the volume I would have liked to because I got bitten by a mosquito here and the bite became infected and now its swollen so I had to go to the hospital to get some antibiotics and have an injection in my backside which was really painful!

But tomorrow I'm hoping I will wake up and feel fresh in a positive mood and get stuck into the tables!

Goodnight and good luck all! :)
  • edited January 2013
    Good morning from Armenia, Quindio, Colombia. Feeling a lot better today and the infection I have is clearing up nicely thank god!

Going to be 2 tabling today and with the hypers and see how I go. I wont be keeping records of wins and losses but only updating my bankroll because I find keeping records of wins and losses can be so tilting at times. To be honest I might just hide my balance and just look at the end of every session!

I'm feeling good and positive today and I'm going to be trying to limp a lot more pots because this seems the way to go!

Good luck all!

Will be updating my progress at the end of the day!

Running Bankroll: £301.73
  • edited January 2013
    Interesting you can play SKY poker in Columbia. I have tryed in a few different countries but was unable.
    Good luck with your challenge.
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks mate.

Its probably because I brought my laptop, something to do with the ip address? Or maybe because they have software now.
  • edited January 2013
    Well that was a great day of poker for me to say the least. I feel that I played really well and solid throughout the day only making about three mistakes in about ninety sit and gos which is great seeing as I used to be so spewy and tilty.

Changing my stratergy from 80% raising from the button to 80% limping from the button definitely had a positive turnout. When I was raising yesterday I was generally losing half of my stack just because people never gave e credit for a hand and kept playing back at me and due to the fast format that is just a recipe for disaster! The competition at the £5.25 level seems to be so weak from what I have seen so far, there is only about 2 players who I play and I know I will not be getting anything easily. The rest seem to just give me their chips one way or another. OR if they do manage to beat me from time to time they are behind all in and hit their hand.

But all in all, a very positive day (profits and poker wise). Looking forward to a good nights sleep and getting back to grinding first thing in the morning as I'm aiming to qualify for the priority club by getting 10,000 (Cash for Points). Or if I don't managed that getting somewhere close. And hopefully in two days time I would have qualified for the £5,000 big freeroll in February!

Running bankroll: £354.48
    Cash for Points: 365

Good luck all!
  • edited January 2013
    Good morning once again from Colombia! Hope all is well with everyone and everyone is having a nice day. I just woke up to the news that I am going to become a father so I am delighted to say the least! :). Saying that, I need to start making some money now seeing as I have a family to support lol!

Feeling positive about today again and going to put in another long session and hopefully it will go something like yesterday. As long as I make the right moves and maintain my solid game I will be more than pleased because I know in the long term that will bring me good results! 

Hoping to get about 400 cash for points today so lets see how I go! I'm ready for a long and hard grind though! When I build my bankroll a bit I will occasionally play the odd MTT to keep the excitement alive and I definitely want to qualify for some SPTs this year because I have never tried before and that would be a good experience!

Good luck all!
  • edited January 2013
    Priority is gonna be HARD @ £5.25s, you'll need to play like 3334 games so more than 110 games every single day of the month which is ALOT and you've got catching up to do cos you've only played  about 120 in 2 days so far.

I was considering going for it at £10s and that's gonna be a bit of a grind, ditched the idea for this month though cos I got too much stuff on so I know I'll be having too many days away and would have to really hammer it on the days I do play. Plus Dohhhh is finally getting it to stick in my head that profit /> points

Good luck if you go for it though.
  • edited January 2013
    I know it will be hard to reach that, really really hard because 110 games a day is a hell of a lot especially if you go out some days but I think I'm going to wake up earlier so I can get it half done by about midday! If I don't get to the priorirty status I'm going to try and get close to it at least. With my bankroll a £200+ bonus would be a nice healthy addition! 

Can you 4 table? Maybe that would allow you to get there a lot faster!? I'm going to try and reach 650-700 by the end of today!