You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hand#2 Shove from a loose player with a short BB left to act.

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
As the title says. The button is a loose player, not somebody who is highly rated in DYMs although they play a lot and at decent levels. No reads on the BB but they are short and I know they can be getting it in very light. So again I have a chance to auto-cash if I win this but if I lose is it going to put me in a bad spot. The only thing that makes me think not to call this is even if the button wins vs the BB he still hasn't got a great stack and still needs to make moves.
FlashFlush Small blind  75.00 75.00 3355.00
Shabba_ Big blind  150.00 225.00 568.75
 Your hole cards
  • A

mblc5mblc Fold     
ACShoopy Fold     
XX All-in  1026.25 1251.25 0.00
FlashFlush

Comments

• edited January 2013
    3355?
    You know this is a fold
    Yep, prolly ahead of his range but absolutely no need to get involved
  • edited January 2013
    HI FF,

Must say that the stack sizes of Shabba and XX make your decision for you imo. At the end of this hand, there are going to be two players with less than 10BB's or 0ne up to 2k in chips. Note that doesn't include the missing stacks who share about 7k either. Feel its a fold but i do like your thinking but 900 chips has more of a positive in your stack than giving you the opportunity to almost certainly auto cash. Another interesting one Flash, nice one.
    There are something called bubble factor calcs (not just for the bubble) but need a pushing % for players. However if your opponent is pushing wide then you can expect him to have two live cards so it may be 60:40 or so. And remember he could have woken up with a strong hand though with 7 BB's its less likely
  • edited January 2013
    I did make the call as I felt I had good reads on the button and would be very surprised if he had a hand...

Button had Q3 I think it was and the BB also called with K5. They ended up both hitting so I didn't even win a side pot! I ended up not cashing which was an absolutely shocking display from me after being in this spot, but was pretty much asking you guys for long term thoughts, and do the positives outweigh the negatives. 

In conclusion.... Let them get on with it, I still have an above average chance of cashing with stack sizes as they are without calling.
  • edited January 2013
    Hi F

That's what a forum is for and i enjoyed trying to think it out. Must admit F, they are poor hands to go with in my opinion for their stack sizes, weren't they?
    Whether you win or loss doesn't decide whether the play is mathemathically correct or not as i'm sure you know. There certainly are situations in these 'simpler' dym type 'calling or pushing all-ins' problems and there are apps available. The book 'the mathematics of poker' which looks at Game Theory too has solutions to simpler poker problems. A lot of poker involves more complicated problems that also involves making an assumption about say, for example, an opponents pushing range. Some of these problems are still beyond definite yes/no answers though there are still bots available to play poker as is the nature of 'greed'. Where money is there to be made , people will try to solve these problems though game theory mathematicians look at the challenge rather than the cash, eh?
    anyway, i enjoyed your posts Flash...cheers
  • edited January 2013
    Hi,

To be really boring, I absolutely agree with the comments about folding, just doesn't seem worth taking the hit here at this stage of the game IMO

But to query the last post, I completely get that K5 is a very poor call with two people in the hand, but is Q3 really a bad decision on the button with just under 7 big blinds left?

I ask as someone flitting around the lower (3/5) levels of the DYMs and who would consider this play from the button... seems like more often than not you pick up blinds as (assuming we follow the logic in this thread) a majority of players will be folding hands at least as strong as AT and so it's low odds you even see a flop.

Without these sort of moves, you're likely to have to go another round of blinds (reducing the stack to c.5 BB) and then pushing with much worse... unless you figure the BB to call far wider as short-stack...

... Or am I just showing how big a learning curve I face in 2013 with this logic?
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Hand#2 Shove from a loose player with a short BB left to act.:
    Hi, To be really boring, I absolutely agree with the comments about folding, just doesn't seem worth taking the hit here at this stage of the game IMO But to query the last post, I completely get that K5 is a very poor call with two people in the hand, but is Q3 really a bad decision on the button with just under 7 big blinds left? I ask as someone flitting around the lower (3/5) levels of the DYMs and who would consider this play from the button... seems like more often than not you pick up blinds as (assuming we follow the logic in this thread) a majority of players will be folding hands at least as strong as AT and so it's low odds you even see a flop. Without these sort of moves, you're likely to have to go another round of blinds (reducing the stack to c.5 BB) and then pushing with much worse... unless you figure the BB to call far wider as short-stack... ... Or am I just showing how big a learning curve I face in 2013 with this logic?
    Posted by shakinaces
    q high or better with 7bbs u gotta get it imo
  • edited January 2013
    Again, you're sat nicely to cash in a DYM, it's like qualifying in a satallite, don't jeopardise your qualifying position as tempting as it may be..could be the difference between the cash and the bubble... fold again here..let them sort out their place.. and with a DYM it doesn't matter if you're 1st,2nd or 3rd...just get there...
  • edited January 2013
    If you think oppo is wide then it's a snap

a lot would depends on other stack sizes, if you lose 1000 chips how would you sit alongside the other chip stacks

Also 7bb in a dym is deeply stacked ) oppo can easily turn over AJ/77 - if you beleive oppo wouild have these hands then it's an easy fold
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Hand#2 Shove from a loose player with a short BB left to act.:
    Hi, To be really boring, I absolutely agree with the comments about folding, just doesn't seem worth taking the hit here at this stage of the game IMO But to query the last post, I completely get that K5 is a very poor call with two people in the hand, but is Q3 really a bad decision on the button with just under 7 big blinds left? I ask as someone flitting around the lower (3/5) levels of the DYMs and who would consider this play from the button... seems like more often than not you pick up blinds as (assuming we follow the logic in this thread) a majority of players will be folding hands at least as strong as AT and so it's low odds you even see a flop. Without these sort of moves, you're likely to have to go another round of blinds (reducing the stack to c.5 BB) and then pushing with much worse... unless you figure the BB to call far wider as short-stack... ... Or am I just showing how big a learning curve I face in 2013 with this logic?
    Posted by shakinaces

Hi S

i'm the one who wrote the last post and i don't want you to think that what i'd play or not play is sacresanct. I've only been playing 18 months so it's your choice but personally i have a chart with hands to Ai/call with for varying stack sizes and positions. After a while you get a feel for it, i suppose. These can vary if playng against tight or loose players and obviously if there are micro stacks etc. Its a matter of balance but i take your point about the orbit etc. It's just a matter of feeling a balance as remember if you AI w/7bb's with Q3o, that guy and others who see it will start calling you more and shoving lighter AI when you are on their table. If you want to put K7 or Q3 in your shoving range for ?BB's then fine. It may pay dividends but for me, i play a stronger range and its given me an acceptable roi in dyms  at £3/£5  that i'm not unhappy with. It may be that if i used yours it may be better but you change your play over time and experiment a bit. We all have leaks when we play....it's just realising what they are, isn't it? Players just find what works for them......Good luck at the dym's...say hello if we meet eh? All the best m8.
  • edited January 2013
    Cheers Profman, appreciate the comprehensive reply!
  • edited January 2013
    Posted by shakinaces
    I think if it was an MTT then a 7BB shove with any 2 is a good move, in terms of DYM it's a bad play, as Rancid said 7 BB in a DYM is an OK stack, you're by no means looking to get it in at the first available chance.

However, we are not really discussing the buttons play. Like I said, he is a very loose player and has a massive shoving range when short. This is I believe his downfall, and anyone with half an eye on the table can see he will be getting it in light so although he could have AK/AQ etc he is just as likely to be doing it with 7,2 IMO.

The strength of my hand wasn't really a massive part of this question, I was 75% sure I would be ahead in this hand, knowing the buttons range and the BB's desperate attempt to get chips. It was more of a risk reward, should I be getting it in where I'm say maybe a 50% chance 3 handed to win or is it too much of a risk.
  • edited January 2013
    the other two stacks have 3000 each or 2000 & 4000.

then you have 1000 & 700 stack

you have 3300

if you lose your down to 2000 - which means there is only one short stack

now you back in the fight

---
    Just fold - you don't need to take this spot where you maybe 60% at best if it's ATC
    50% if it's pr
    really bad shape if your dominated 30% or something
    your looking for more equity imo to make this call
    from what I remember just don't take flips or 60/40's unless you are so so short in a DYM

---

calling here imo is more an MTT call

---

funny thing about DYM's is you have to be a nit early then get your balls out when your short stacked )