You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HELP! PLEASE HELP ME!

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
 I were lucky to win in to the "top of the posts" tonight and a 60p dym (3rd rate) player(me) will be up against some of the best players here 6 handed :( any idea of the way i should play ? Any constructive or funny suggestions are welcome ,but please make them quick !

Comments

• edited January 2013
    In Response to HELP! PLEASE HELP ME!:
     I were lucky to win in to the "top of the posts" tonight and a 60p dym (3rd rate) player(me) will be up against some of the best players here 6 handed :( any idea of the way i should play ? Any constructive or funny suggestions are welcome ,but please make them quick !
    Posted by booboo5205
    fold everything but aces
  • edited January 2013
    Play with no fear! I assume you don't have any experience of bigger tourneys so just learn take notes and review what went on. Don't be afraid to go with your gut and just have fun.
  • edited January 2013
    HiB
    Play it as a dym as in effect that's what it is. Tight in early levels, open up slightly in the middle in uncontested pots, and then playstack size/ hand quality on the bubble where most plays should be AI or fold. Beware getting involved in a pot when there has been a raise before you unless you have a strong hand.

I played in one a few weeks ago and lost out to a absentee player so you can see that only playing strong hands is the way to go.

Don't fish for sets or flushes and str8s unless it's cheap as chips and certainly don't chase cards. Keep an eye on everyone's stacks as they will decide their plays late on. Good luck but do enjoy it. It's free cash so try to relax and say hi in chat. It's bound to be pretty friendly.

They may be more experienced than you but the strength of a hand can make up for your lack of experience.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to HELP! PLEASE HELP ME!:
    Posted by booboo5205
    Read my post in the poker clinic, Playing the Big Guns, there are a lot of useful hints and tips been given.
    But from my point of view, try the following;

1. Limit the kind of hands you play, i.e, fold A rag, 10/8's k/9's etc and even q10 in the early spot (SB and BB are different if you can limp in, also you will sit there and watch str8s, trips and back door flushes go by, but stay controlled and disciplined and be patient, tournies are a lot different to DYM's)

2. Don't let them or other peoples stack sizes intimidate you, but also know when your beat.

3. Don't shove all in at every premium hand preflop, especially in the early stages, make a decent raise and play the hand if you have any callers. Try trapping anyone on the table thats trying to bully you.... let them think they have the upper hand and WALLOP THEM HARD with your nuts hand.

4. look out for A rag calls, when you have pocket k's, some peeps will call with it and hit the flop with their A, so don't be afraid to check or make a medium bet on the flop and fold if you are raise, or try and check it down to the river if you are flat called.

5. Don't chase gut shot straights, but if you have connecting suited cards and you have the str8 and flush draw on the flop, dependant on the bet size against you,(don't go all in),it's worth seeing the turn and the river if needed, hopefully you will hit one or the other (9 suited left, 4bottom end and 4 top end of str8..17 outs in all)

6. Now this is the most important piece of advice anyone can be given.... ENJOY YOUSELF AND LEARN FROM  YOUR EXPERIENCE

Good Luck... play it right and even if just cash, you'll have done very well. 
  • edited January 2013

Fold everything. Ladder to 2nd.

Hope this helps :)