You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£80 - £800 Challenge - Current Balance £87.79

edited January 2013 in Poker Chat
good luck easily acheivable of your disciplined :) play small mtts and small cash tables imo

Comments

• edited January 2013

After some careful consideration i have decided to give one of these a go, partially to put the love back in my game and hopefully teach me a vital lesson in bank roll management.

So i have withdrew my account down to £80 ( Which im sure the gf will have spent already ).

I will keep you all updated on my progress, i plan on starting off by multi tabling £2 DYM's. Any thoughts on what i should include in this thread or even on what games i should play and when i should move up... is this achievable by the end of february ?

All thoughts and opinions will be welcomed and taken on board.

-Smarr

• edited January 2013
    Trying to get away from cash tables as they are slowly destroying my love for the game, even when im winning.
  • edited January 2013
    Good luck mate. Very possible with a high volume and good discipline!
  • edited January 2013
    Ok so played 2 there just to get the ball rolling, got to get the monster to bed now so not sure if ill get playing anymore tonight. Happy with how i played in both, even after running Jacks into aces in the first hand of the second one and still recovered well to finish 2nd.

£2.25 DYM

Games played:  2
    Games Won   :  2
    Total Profit     : £3.50
  • edited January 2013
    I might be wrong, and I probably am, but weren't you playing like 200nl the other week?
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: £80 - £800 Challenge - Current Balance £83.50:
    I might be wrong, and I probably am, but weren't you playing like 200nl the other week?
    Posted by percival09
    No mate your not wrong, i was... and i made a very nice profit last month between it and 100NL, but its way out of my bankroll as i was withdrawing all of my profit due to losing my job.

I want to step back down though. As im not enjoying it at all anymore, want to get back to playing tournaments but cant take them seriously cause all i have in my mind is the money i was making at cash. This challenge is sort of to prove to myself that i can still make the same money from playing small stakes games. And take me away from the thrill of 200NL lol.

Well thats the plan.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to £80 - £800 Challenge - Current Balance £83.50:
    After some careful consideration i have decided to give one of these a go, partially to put the love back in my game and hopefully teach me a vital lesson in bank roll management. So i have withdrew my account down to £80 ( Which im sure the gf will have spent already ). I will keep you all updated on my progress, i plan on starting off by multi tabling £2 DYM's. Any thoughts on what i should include in this thread or even on what games i should play and when i should move up... is this achievable by the end of february ? All thoughts and opinions will be welcomed and taken on board.             -Smarr
    Posted by smarr
    I'm partial to knock knock jokes...

Gwan smarr!!!
  • edited January 2013

Got another 4 in there before my 1yr old son woke up crying, i found out i cant 4 table. At least not with a crying child on my knee, going to be 3 tabling these for awhile see how i get on and maybe add in the 4th again if its going well. 

Won 2 and Lost 2.

£2.25 DYM

Games played: 6
    Games Won : 4
    Total Profit : £2.50

• ckdckd
    edited January 2013
    Got another 4 in there before my 1yr old son woke up crying, i found out i cant 4 table. At least not with a crying child on my knee, going to be 3 tabling these for awhile see how i get on and maybe add in the 4th again if its going well.  Won 2 and Lost 2. £2.25 DYM Games played: 6 Games Won : 4 Total Profit : £2.50
    Posted by smarr

make 10k c4p from them ?

• edited January 2013
    dont think so mate. but we will see on 1100 atm
  • edited January 2013
    surely u cant concentrate and play yer A game with a crying child on knee lol
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: £80 - £800 Challenge - Current Balance £82.50:
    surely u cant concentrate and play yer A game with a crying child on knee lol
    Posted by reeler
    i played computer chess in that situation, but there was no timebar and losing didnt cost anything.
    but i'm surs it's no worse than playing drunk and there's plenty of forum regs that will attest to being able to make money in that state.

glgl

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: £80 - £800 Challenge - Current Balance £83.50 : No mate your not wrong, i was... and i made a very nice profit last month between it and 100NL, but its way out of my bankroll as i was withdrawing all of my profit due to losing my job. I want to step back down though. allAs im not enjoying it at  anymore, want to get back to playing tournaments but cant take them seriously cause all i have in my mind is the money i was making at cash. This challenge is sort of to prove to myself that i can still make the same money from playing small stakes games. And take me away from the thrill of 200NL lol. Well thats the plan.
    Posted by smarr
    hi mate,
    not quite understanding this.i can only guess that it's stressful playing for those amounts as well as exciting.
    think it can be done for sure,but i'm not so sure you will enjoy it tbh.i hope i'm proved wrong though.

i wish you good luck obviously,and will follow your progress with interest.
    best wishes
    :)
    dev
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: £80 - £800 Challenge - Current Balance £83.50 : hi mate, not quite understanding this.i can only guess that it's stressful playing for those amounts as well as exciting. think it can be done for sure,but i'm not so sure you will enjoy it tbh.i hope i'm proved wrong though. i wish you good luck obviously,and will follow your progress with interest. best wishes :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    I enjoy the thrill of a final table in an MTT alot more mate, but i cant take them seriously anymore as i tell myself its only £11 and i try doing the same things in them as i do in cash! If i can make some money from DYM's then i can certainly get back to MTT's.

I'm not sure how to word it, but i know in my head my reasons.

Do you try to start your tables at the same time when multi tabling?
  • edited January 2013
    Loaded up 3 tables and was going quite well in all 3, accidently loaded up a 4th table and crashed and burned in 3 tables in no time with terrible decisions..

Won 4, Lost 4.

Thats about all i can handle for tonight, hope to run better tomorrow, but 3 of the 4 i lost were my own fault and through bad play. So cant have too many complaints.

£2.25 DYM

Games played: 14
    Games Won : 8
    Total Profit : £0.50

Is there any arguement for playing £3 games instead of £2 games as the rake isnt as bad?
  • edited January 2013
    This challenge is sort of to prove to myself that i can still make the same money from playing small stakes games.
    Posted by smarr
    This made me lol! 2 british pound double your moneiz making the same money as 200nl.. lo

If u aint got a job and ur making money then stuff whether your enjoying it or not surely making money is more important? Unless if ur living at home with ya parents ect then fair enough
  • edited January 2013
    -Dont mind starting to take game seriously

-Like that you want to learn BRM

-Like you want to prove to yourself you can ladder  from small stakes and that your not just "running hot" and your a solid winning player.

But the last thing this forum needs is somone else dribbling on about a pigging DYM diary and "today i broke even after i lost a flip in 8 of the 16 DYMS to play so no money for me but look at all my shinny pointies"

If you dont like cash, fine. Boat loads of micro stakes Bounty hunters such as the £5.75 ones or the £2.75 ones to start running throughout the day which are soft they come if your lucky enough to flop a pair.

Also take a shot at satting into the main from the micro ones (£2.50ish) i did this many a time when i was climbing the ladder i satted in via this route.

If you want to start enjoying poker again grinding low stakes DYMS wouldnt be the best place to start
  • edited January 2013

hi m8,
    yeah,i just load em up 1 after the other.
    gradually adding more and more tables then as a table finishes add another
    as i've always said the more u can play the better,well within reason anyway.
    deffo play £3 rather than £2 as u say because of the 10% rake
    gl buddy
    :)
    dev
  • ckdckd
    edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: £80 - £800 Challenge - Current Balance £80.50:
    -Dont mind starting to take game seriously -Like that you want to learn BRM -Like you want to prove to yourself you can ladder  from small stakes and that your not just "running hot" and your a solid winning player. But the last thing this forum needs is somone else dribbling on about a pigging DYM diary and "today i broke even after i lost a flip in 8 of the 16 DYMS to play so no money for me but look at all my shinny pointies" If you dont like cash, fine. Boat loads of micro stakes Bounty hunters such as the £5.75 ones or the £2.75 ones to start running throughout the day which are soft they come if your lucky enough to flop a pair. Also take a shot at satting into the main from the micro ones (£2.50ish) i did this many a time when i was climbing the ladder i satted in via this route. If you want to start enjoying poker again grinding low stakes DYMS wouldnt be the best place to start
    Posted by bolly580
    why is it the last thing the forum needs ? 

this is what  the forum is there for  

if its not what you want to read dont read it and find another post that interest you
  • edited January 2013
    Best of luck to you smarr. 

Imo playing £3.30s instead of £2.25s is a good idea; there's no difference in standard in my experience, so you'll save 2.5% on the rake and make 50% extra profit overall per game. I think there's almost no risk of ruin with £80 to play with.
  • edited January 2013
    Like others have said I don't really understand this challenge, if you were making money at 100nl and 200nl then why on earth would you give that up to go and play £2 dyms? I can only imagine you maybe haven't been totally honest with your "profits" at those levels, or maybe you only got those by getting lucky in hands or hit n running. I've never watched you play so I may be well off the mark (No offense meant by those comments). Especially if you're not working at the moment, surely you want to be replacing that lack of earnings with some poker money?

My advice to you would be don't bother playing these £2 DYMs, and use that time cold calling companies dressed in a suit with your CV in hand. Your never going to pay your rent/mortage on £2 DYMs

Good luck 
  • edited January 2013
    Like others have said I don't really understand this challenge, if you were making money at 100nl and 200nl then why on earth would you give that up to go and play £2 dyms? I can only imagine you maybe haven't been totally honest with your "profits" at those levels, or maybe you only got those by getting lucky in hands or hit n running. I've never watched you play so I may be well off the mark (No offense meant by those comments). Especially if you're not working at the moment, surely you want to be replacing that lack of earnings with some poker money? My advice to you would be don't bother playing these £2 DYMs, and use that time cold calling companies dressed in a suit with your CV in hand. Your never going to pay your rent/mortage on £2 DYMs Good luck 
    Posted by FlashFlush
    I can see how this could look like that, and no offense taken. I have made enough money over the past month to keep my familys head above water for a few months, and have heard that i have a good chance of getting my job back in february. I have never wanted to play poker full time.. I have had times where i have had my bankroll take big hits and having taken bigger risks to get it back ( which up until now i have gotten it back ), but its risky play, and i know its risky.

I got abit bored playing DYM's last night so deposited £30 and played some 100NL.

04 Jan '13 at 02:38PokerHeald Green£83.99£83.99Poker AIR clientHand History04 Jan '13 at 01:36PokerGrand£76.74£76.74Poker AIR clientHand History
    I have withdrawn any profits to take me back down to the original £80.50. I want to do the challenge as i have always wanted to be a profitable DYM player and i'd like to prove to myself that i can. I dont need anymore money right now, which is why i am giving myself 2 months to complete this, and if i fail then ill go back to what was working.

I will be depositing £30 here and there to keep me fresh on the tables, but any profits i make ( if any ) will be withdrawn after the session.
  • edited January 2013
    As long as your real bankroll is healthy for you and your family then thats the main thing. 

Goodluck and I hope you get your job back.
  • edited January 2013
    I have decided to take some of the comments on board in this post and will also be adding in some low stakes cash tables & low stakes MTT's.

Thank you all for your advice and comments,

- Smarr
  • edited January 2013
    I got abit bored playing DYM's last night so deposited £30 and played some 100NL.

*bangs head on table*

• edited January 2013
    04 Jan '13 at 13:22PokerDouble Your Money£-3.30£0.00Poker AIR clientHand History04 Jan '13 at 13:22PokerDouble Your Money£-3.30£0.00Poker AIR clientHand History04 Jan '13 at 12:50PokerLund£13.89£0.00Poker AIR clientHand History
    Just a few games before i headed off to town, really disappointed in one of the DYM's as it was blatently obvious that 2 people were working together, big stack in BB had 6k, small stack in SB had 800 chips with blinds at 300/600.

Small stack shoved and big stack folded. 2 hands later i shoved for 1400 and he called me with 8 5.
    I won the hand, but no solid proof, i just know in myself.

Bankroll: £87.79
  • edited January 2013
    First: 4/12/2009
    Last: 4/1/2013

*bangs head on table*

challenge went well lol whole point of a challenge is sticking to it not go n play 100nl gl tho smarr
  • edited January 2013
    I have played against you a few times and no matter if you are running good or bad you always have a good attitude, gracious in victory or defeat.  That counts for more in my book than the result.  I just play for fun and if I have a good result it allows me to play a few higher buy-in tourneys.  Good luck with your challenge and I hope you have a successful 2013.
  • edited January 2013
    appreciate your comment misterwin. havent played in few days as my son is sick and requires alot of attention will get back to this asap