You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

13 Areas for Improvement in 2013 @ SkyPoker

edited January 2013 in Poker Chat
In Response to 13 Areas for Improvement in 2013 @ SkyPoker:

..........Excellent thread, well thought out and written.......obv a lot of effort has gone into this and equally you get the replies in numbers that you so thoroughly deserve.

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Just thought I'd try to concisely list areas I'd love to see improved this year on Sky, in no particular order.

1) MTT Payout Structure
    I know this has recently been tweaked on Sky, but imo, it was decision taken in the wrong direction. With no ability to deal or chop the money up at the final table, the almost insanely top-heavy payouts make for one of the worst feelings when going deep in an MTT. It would make a little more sense if (like the current most popular poker site), 1st place is a decent chunk of the prizepool along with a high % of people getting paid. For reacreational players, this is why we love the game. The chance of a big money payday while spreading the rest of the prizepool as much as possible, to keep everyone happy and allow for the poker economy to flourish while attracting as big of a field as possible.
    Paying out about 15% of the player pool was something that I thought Sky did right. A slightly higher min-cash with alot fewer people being paid isn't something many recreational players can get excited about. Not only is the new structure more top heavy, but the compensation of a new 10% ITM finish has been spread poorly between the bubble and the final table. Pay-jumps are too frequent, the difference between the final-table and the rest of the field is borderline insignificant, and the final table payouts are mental.
    e.g. £250 BH w/approx 250-300ppts
    1st - £58.82
    2nd - £35.11
    3rd - £20.94   <---- lolwtf is this jump all about?
    4th - £16.47
    5th - £14.02
    6th - £11.74
    --------------        <------ Virutally no significant change between 8th through 3rd.
    7th - £9.48
    8th - £7.23

2) Deals at Final Tables
    Pretty sure this one is self explanatory, even if it was just allowed for the "bigger" events, and a moderator were to come and resolve it between the remaining players. Something that's almost crucial when prizepools are as top-heavy as they currently are imo.

3) Freerolls
    I'm not sure whether it's just me, but there seems to be an inordinate amount of freerolls on Sky. And heck, who's gunna snub free money? Of late though, they seem to be somewhat lazy cop-outs of older better promotions that people really got stoked about. Take for instance the new Loyalty freerolls with £250 and £500 Guarantees. Player pools for these balloon well into treble figures, meaning that each one is worth less than £1 to each player that enters. The new monthly £5k freeroll, with a 1500 player pool means each ticket is only worth £3.33.
    So why am I making a big deal out of free money Sky is so generously giving us? Because I believe there are promotions that would benefit themselves as well as us, more so than Freerolls. Seeing as they're quite literally giving something away for nothing, there doesn't seem to be much of an incentive to run so many freerolls. On the other hand, if they were to run a promotion similar to November's Points=Prizes promo, not only do they get a substantial amount of rake with people battling to put as much volume in as possible, but we see more tables running, and get free money to boot! It's a win-freakin'-win baby! Now I know what you're going to say, about how not everyone is a die-hard grinder and we need to appeal to the masses, not just those putting in alot of hands. 1) Freeroll ppts don't generate rake, the cash/STT/MTT players do. 2) Then run something similar to the Survivor tournaments that appealed to everyone, or mini-bonuses if they play in a millionth hand. Incentive people to play and pay rake, instead of putting it in freerolls that won't yield a great return for the site, or the players.

4) Good Promos vs Bad Promos
    I've touched on this already, but I think it's pretty important to compare the two.
    Early Bird+Happy Hour - GREAT Promos. Incentivises players to play, generates more rake, while giving them something in return. Despite giving away extra points, it's clearly profitable for the site seeing as HappyHour traffic at the cash tables BOOMS in those magical 1Hr periods.
    PointsForPrizes (Novembers Promo) - EXCELLENT. Again, for exactly the same reason as before.
    Mini+Main Jackpot - Needs tweaking. I'm not quite sure a £10k payout to anyone who binks both the main and the mini is going to draw enough people in to playing both, that the rake earned by the site, balances the times where they have to pay for someone taking it down. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a solid promotion, but maybe something similar to FTP's DailyDoubles, for example, if someone were to final table both, they'd win a small chunk of the money, and some of the rake goes straight back into the Jackpot.
    Freerolls - Poor. See point 3.

5) New vs Old Tables
    A new change that i'm finding rather hard to grasp. 10seater cash tables have been removed, for what seems to be no reason, only to be replaced with new CAP game tables. Not only that, but the number of tables you're allowed to open while sitting alone (or with one other person) is limited to only 1 per table type at that limit. Seeing as 10seaters as high as 200nl run on a regular weekly basis, with the CAP game tables hardly being played at whatsoever, i'm a little bemused as to this change.

6) High Stakes Action
    Okay, so I wouldn't exactly call it 'High Stakes', but when 6max tables start to run at the highest limit a site has available (£10/£20 here on Sky), there's a problem. Pretty simple + easy solution, just add £25/£50 tables (that are already listed, but only for HU action) and put some down for 6max use.

7) Bumhunting
    I dare anyone to go to the HU section of the cash game lobby, and not giggle a little at the sheer number of regs sitting there waiting for recreational players. It's just full of people who don't actually want to play poker. They want to make easy money. Not only is this daunting and a little offensing to the reactional players out there who just want a 1 on 1 game, but it's bad for the poker economy/player pool too.
    There is a super amazing and simple solution to this, and that's to introduce the HU shuffle engine, into HU cash games. This would not only eliminate the problem of people waiting for the less experienced players, and sitting out every time a reg comes by, but it generates the site way more rake too! It forces regs to have to play against each other just like in a regular 6 or 10max game if they want to play hands against the lesser players, along with ensuring the site gets a healthy slice of the pie too.

8) Faulty Chat + Faulty/Small Note Taking + Small bugs around the site

A pretty self-explanatory one, referring to the somewhat dated software. It's often that when I switch from mini-view to standard-view, the chat box spazzes out, and all the text scrolls up and disappears, meaning I have to reset the chat display settings before the messages show up again. Likewise, not only is it fairly small, but there's another little bug in the note taking system, whereby it will only let you type at the very top of your note unless you use the d-pad to scroll your way through and manually enter the information where you want it. Also seems to be minor issues regarding Hand Histories, and recent table records in the My Account section of the site too.
    Not a huge deal, but little bugs that could definitely do with fixing.

9) AutoPostBB + SitOutNextBB + Preferred Seat + Default Buy-in/Auto Top-up

Something the cash tables desperately need. Must take me at least 10minutes every single day just to check and uncheck all the boxes, change my seat to where I prefer it, and arrange them in a format I enjoy. (via JuggleGeek)

10) Resizable Tables + Solid Tiling/Stacking + Custom Avatars
    Again, the title says it all really. Whenever you have too many tables to tile perfectly against each other, it puts them in a weird circular shape. Bluh, ugly. Also, seeing as there are only a very limited number of avatars to choose from at the moment, assuming they're also only jpeg files, why not allow custom avatars?

11) Run It Twice + Different Variants
    RIT for Cash Games, oh dear lord yes. Would be incredibly $£XY.
    The site probably isn't big enough to be adding many new games yet, but having the option there sure would please alot of people. Everything from Stud to Triple Draw. Heck, even Badugi to Chinese Poker (which I think could be pretty popular), could certainly be steps in the right direction once the site grows a little.

12) Timebank
    An absolute must for anyone wanting to play more than a couple of tables, and if something that's done right, can only be a good thing for the players.

13) STT Love
    Cash players have MC tables, and TOTP. Tournament players have the Primo and all the TV tournies. How about a monthly super high roller STT? Would be great for TV, could get a LOT of attention and have a tonne of sattellites running for them. Maybe a £5k 6max/10max sit+go perhaps, or something similar each month? I'm pretty sure that'd draw the crowds in more than a few monthly freerolls ;)

Having said ALL of that, I want to make it clear that I still love Sky. They're suggested improvements, not critiques, and shouldn't be seen as anything more.

EDIT: Managed to squeeze a few more in after I missed a few obvious ones that arn't on the list. ty KickaStink + JuggleGeek!
    14) Odd Bet Sizing + Hand Histories
    Explanations ITT below.

Cheers,
    Smitalos
  • edited January 2013
    +1 hope to see sky give you a response to some excellent points gl on the tables
  • edited January 2013
    14) Auto-rebuy to max in cash games. Most tilting thing on this site is to lose a big hand for 80BBs and then find yourself dealt aces with 20BBs. Most times now I find that I remember to add more chips before showdown to reduce the impact of this but it still happens. If players are losing out on money in these spots then surely Sky are also losing out on rake.
  • edited January 2013

Would be annoying if any of these other than maybe 9 & 10 were prioritised over the introduction of antes in MTTs.

All would be welcome changes though, voted 7-8 as a few such as custom avatars and new varients aren't really that important imo.
  • edited January 2013
    1 - AGREE - Its very depressing when you go out 3rd/4th when you have played well and see that you could earn so much more by getting lucky and making it to 1st - especially i the big tornies. However this is the case in most sporting events like the world cup for example, 2nd is almost a worse feeleing than crashing out in the group stages. So why shouls poker be different?

2 - AGREE

3 - NOT SURE

4 - AGREE - I am not saying they should get rid of the jackpot lol, however you are right that it suddenly means that if you win the mini and are one of 2 playes left in the main 1st place is suddeny worth £10k, which is too much!

5 - AGREE

6 - NOT BOTHERED

7 - DISAGREE - it is their money they can do what they want

8,9,10 - AGREE

11,12,13 - DISAGREE

• edited January 2013
    agree so much with 1. 25% for first in 3-400+ mtts is karazy imo

i don't really care about 2,3,4, 11 or 12 lol I either think there's no point in Sky introducing these at this stage, or it's just nowhere near as important as other things

7, 8, 9 and 10 are all pretty important imo, and we can add Ante's into this category too.

13 meh

as I'm writing this, it keeps doing weird things and making me refresh, which makes 8 the most important, followed closely by the others mentioned in that category

• edited January 2013
    The mini + main jackpot is amazing. I'm sure I'm not alone in that i never played the mini once before it was introduced and now i play it every time i play the main.

Disagree on payout structures. The pirzes up top are what attracts players. Not really fussed about dealmaking. Just make sure you win!

They should really ditch that button beside the seat rotator thing. As far as i can tell all it does is arrange the tables in a way that no sane person would want to have them. I just insta quit and throw my keyboard across the room when it happens.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: 13 Areas for Improvement in 2013 @ SkyPoker:
    The mini + main jackpot is amazing. I'm sure I'm not alone in that i never played the mini once before it was introduced and now i play it every time i play the main. Disagree on payout structures. The pirzes up top are what attracts players. Not really fussed about dealmaking. Just make sure you win! They should really ditch that button beside the seat rotator thing. As far as i can tell all it does is arrange the tables in a way that no sane person would want to have them. I just insta quit and throw my keyboard across the room when it happens.
    Posted by offshoot
    The tiler is really useful for me, does it perfectly if you have enough room on your screen!
  • edited January 2013
    i know it's not much but when 2 players are all in and the cards are being dealt down, i'd love it if it took a bit more time, because to me it seems to go a bit quick and im struggling to see who is in the lead. not that it matters, would just be nice if the cards came down a tad slower
  • edited January 2013
    Would be annoying if any of these other than maybe 9 & 10 were prioritised over the introduction of antes in MTTs. All would be welcome changes though, voted 7-8 as a few such as custom avatars and new varients aren't really that important imo.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    your obsessded with antes
  • edited January 2013
    1) is being worked on, top heavy is how tournaments work

2) incredible amount of work to implement automatic, sky don't have the staff to offer deals at all tournies manually, there are never really big enough prizepools to justify this time/effort outlay.

3) freerolls aren't aimed at grinders.

4)have needed tweeking for a long time, EB is the first improvement in forever.

5) yes no reason to get rid of FR, but CAP needs to be given a chance, more likely finding it's feet in PLO rather than NLH.

6) you're delusional and clueless.

7) this has been discussed before, sky don't do anything to attempt to fix it, the most basic changes which should have been made and i've mentioned years ago still haven't been implemented. i'm sure it would only take 5 mins to code zoom hu....

8) these are the huge problems imo, have been waiting for fixes for >2 years

9) relative to how much work and the problem of the grinders having to click a few times, these aren't 'that' important, they'd be nice but they're not important. we cant upload pictures to the forum without a 2 day delay so letting people choose their own pic to display is very unlikely. 

10) ya another old problem, sky not recognising screenspace/multiple monitors etc

11) awful idea, should only be used for very high stakes and PLO.

12) you think it'd be pretty popular because you want to play them, yet abuot 84 hands of plo have been played lifetime on sky so asking for badeucey or w/e is far fetched.

13) stt players had the advantage during the top30 from each discipline promotion. but ya needs looking at.

I had a very long post written out with a whole new selection of improvements/discussion about previous changes, then sky updated a bunch of stuff negating some of the stuff i'd written, needing me to write more on other stuff and I went on holiday. I'll see if I can be bothered to rewrite it this month.
  • edited January 2013
    In descending order of priority:

1. Timebank.
    2. Hand histories. PLEASE can you make the software save hand histories to my hard disk, just like all the other poker sites? *
    3. Bet sizing. The Sky Poker bet size entry method is unconventional. Sort it out (make it an option, so as not to alienate your existing regs). **
    4. Player notes. There's not enough space to make decent notes, even when I use lots of abbreviations! ***
    5. Scalable game windows. The mini view is too minimal; the standard view is too big and clunky.
    6. Pay structure. Themostpopularpokersite.com has this nailed. Do as they do! ****

The first three are, far and away, the biggest killers. Sky Poker is sooo close to being a cool poker site - there are some great regular tourneys, I love the emphasis on six-max, and you're increasingly catering for players who want bigger tourney buyins as the player base increases. But as a result of these problems, I mainly play on other sites like OnGame and PKR, which is a shame.

I would be on Sky every day if you could give us text hand histories, a timebank, and if you finally sorted out the dumb bet sizing thing. DO IT! :)

---

Further notes on the above:

* HAND HISTORIES. I hate having to use the cludgy interface under 'My Sky Poker' in the client software for reviewing hands. Further, after I'm eliminated from a tournament the usual last-hand-review link (under the 'Game Info' tab) stops working, so it's a pain to see how I busted out. I also want to be able to copy & paste hands easily in text format, for example to discuss hands on Skype with my friends. A further advantage is that I could archive my hand histories for review... often I will study old hand histories on a long train journey, when I have no internet connection. Every other site saves text hand histories locally, so PLEASE Sky, follow suit!

** BET SIZING. Anyone who plays on the major poker sites will know what I'm talking about. On nearly every poker site out there, when you want to make a bet or raise, you type in the TOTAL amount of the bet. On Sky you have to do some mental arithmetic and deduct your existing bet first!!! So if you've already raised to 175 and you want to re-pop to 1300, you actually have to enter 1125. Noooooooooooo! I'm not going to get into the multitude of reasons why it's better to enter the total bet amount, but ultimately it boils down to one thing: it's the standard. Not just online, but live too. (If you announce "1300" it's understood to be the total amount of your reraise, including your existing bet.) Microgaming is the only other weird site I know where you have to do the extra mental arithmetic.

I can understand that Sky don't want to alienate their existing players, so you should add an option so that players like me, who are used to playing on the normal online poker sites, can tick a box to say they want non-additive bet sizing.

(I can think of at least one other poker site that bit the bullet and switched their bet sizing method to the 'standard' method, having used the weird additive method for a long time before, which supports my view that Sky needs to respect the standard.)

Too many times I've made a cataclysmic bet-sizing error deep in a tourney on Sky or Microgaming, because I'm multi-tabling alongside other sites that use the conventional method. I simply avoid playing on Sky or Micrograming any more, for this reason.

*** PLAYER NOTES. Also, loads of useful symbols are prohibited in player notes! There's just no need for this, it just smacks of lazy programming (I am a computer programmer myself - presumably the developers are just trying to avoid having to 'escape' special characters). To add insult to injury, the software will let you type certain symbols and punctuation marks, but when you return to your player note later, you find the symbols have been erased. Grrrr.

**** PAY STRUCTURE. I don't mind the pay structure being generally top-heavy, I mean tournaments are traditionally meant to be all about finishing in the top three. This isn't holiday camp, it's a competition damnit!! However I like that the 'big site' has reduced the huge disparity between 1st and 2nd, which is a problem on many other sites. I agree with Smitalos that on Sky Poker the jump from 3rd to 2nd seems crazy in the example he provided.

Just copy the payout tables from thebigone.com. Simple!
  • edited January 2013
    nice topic smit. ALot of time has been put into this like others have said. Sky will reply shortly i assume, will be good to see what they say, probably that it is in the pipe line ;P
  • edited January 2013

The biggest issue that needs addressing is 100% antes.  It creates action for the players.

1) MTT Payout Structure
     The payout structure is fine and i love mtts being top heavy payouts.

2)  Deals at Final Tables

Not needed id prefer just to play the tournament out.

3) Freerolls

Dont care

Think it is unreliastic asking someone to win the main and the mini to take the jackpot down theres a chance it could go on for over 10 years without anyone winning both.  Think there should be a percentage payed out for final tabling both a higher percenage for winning 1 and hups in the other then if someone wins both they take it all.  The november promotion was a really good 1 and generated loads of traffic for the cash games and i think this promotion should be brought back.

5) New vs Old Tables

I think its a great idea that the 10 handed tables have been removed and personally i think the cap games should be removed aswell.

6) High Stakes Action

no need for a 25/50 table very rarely gets used.

7) Bumhunting

100% agree with this the heads up lobby is a joke with regs refusing to play other regs.

8) Faulty Chat + Faulty Note Taking + Small bugs around the site

Agree with this the chat keeps moving up and down and is almost impossible to read

9) AutoPostBB + SitOutNextBB + Preferred Seat + Custom Avatars

Yep its tilting that you cant auto reload and then have a big hand or cant profitably play a hand due to your stack size.  Avatars not really important imo.

10) Resizable Tables + Solid Tiling/Stacking

Yep this needs fixed.

11) Run It Twice

No need for this at all.

12) Different Variants

This would be an awful idea the site doesnt have the traffic to support this and would take players away from holdem. 

12) STT Love

Yes that would be a great idea
  • edited January 2013

+1 the bet sizing thing needs changed.  And also in a hand history or on skytv the raise size looks different then the raise actually is.

• edited January 2013
    An excellent, well thought out post Smit.  

Generally agree with Bearly's summing up of it.  Chat box has always annoyed me when switching back to standard view from mini view. Interestingly, after reading the OP, I went to the options and chat corrected straight away. Why can't the simple things be made easy for the players?

On the point of simple things, auto seating is the biggest priority imo, as when loading up numerous tables, it takes a while and is a pain to move and adjust my position on all the tables to sync.  

A sng push would be beneficial long term as the higher games are generally not running as frequently currently and anything to attract new players would be good. Is the sng section going to be uncluttered as this was suggested on Ryan's thread? Bounty, scary, speed, turbo, hyper.......seriously what is the difference???

• edited January 2013
    An excellent, well thought out post Smit.   Generally agree with Bearly's summing up of it.  Chat box has always annoyed me when switching back to standard view from mini view. Interestingly, after reading the OP, I went to the options and chat corrected straight away. Why can't the simple things be made easy for the players? On the point of simple things, auto seating is the biggest priority imo, as when loading up numerous tables, it takes a while and is a pain to move and adjust my position on all the tables to sync.   A sng push would be beneficial long term as the higher games are generally not running as frequently currently and anything to attract new players would be good. Is the sng section going to be uncluttered as this was suggested on Ryan's thread? Bounty, scary, speed, turbo, hyper.......seriously what is the difference???
    Posted by phil12uk

lol i'd written a chunk about this stuff already, I haven't checked up on all the structures since the recent changes but essentially a bunch of those different names meant exactly the same thing, some had minute differences which were utterly pointless and all the different names/types just cluttered up the lobby. previously the best structure relative to what it was trying to achieve was the supersonic one.
  • edited January 2013
    U make some great points smitalos had to laugh at the bumhunting bit :)
  • edited January 2013
    Very good post. Agree with most of the points.

The HU cash lobby is embarrasing but even more so some of the people just sat there waiting are Sky Poker TV analysts! I have seen some sat there for over 2/3 hours now, a very sad and lonely life!
  • edited January 2013
    agree with most stuff you say in 8,9 and 10, .... and i agree what others have said reg bet sizing, Also it would be good if sky could make a bigger impact on traffic, although it is growing i think, but i can imagine a greater increase if sky adopted the european market more, like adding a community section for other popular countries possibly, or simply increasing sign up bonus etc

Reg H/U Bumhunting, this seems to be a "problem" everywhere and i doubt sky will be one to do something about it, STARS may do something if they feel the need to. But personally i don't see a problem, its like a more advanced way of table selecting but allowing the fish to come to them,..who cares, if you cant beat em join them! unfortunately due to the huge swings in HU cash you have to do this! playing the best players may feed ego and give respect, but say that to those bum hunters who walk away with the cash.
  • edited January 2013
    Great post.

1) MTT Payout Structure

I agree it should be top heavy but some payouts structures I've seen (since the change) are just ridiculous. I was railing someone the other day in one of the UKOPS minis, it was a £5.75 BH and got 830 runners... 10th place was £20! Ok it's a BH so half the prize pool is gone and you'll get some from heads but even a good run might be 15 heads or so and 10th out of 830 for 4x the BI seems pretty ridic to me. Considering it was a £5 BI, you basically had to come top 3 out of 830 to get anything worthwhile. 1st place was not too far off double 2nd place aswell.

2) Deals at Final Tables
    This isn't a deal breaker (pardon the pun) but wouldn't be that bad, obv only applies if both agree anyway so if you aint the type to wanna deal it has no impact on you anyway. And with the super steep jumps and often short stacked play I can see in some spots why you'd wanna deal.

3) Freerolls
    Meh, freerolls

5) New vs Old Tables
    Can't see the point in capped tables to be honest, but no harm in keeping 'em as long as they don't reduce regular table liquidity too much. 10seaters should be kept, but more people need to play them or they won't, so I guess they got rid cos not enough wanted them.

6) High Stakes Action
    Obv not my stakes but meh if they're there and don't get played on, no harm done, if they do get played on, it's good innit.

7) Bumhunting
    Obv needs fixing but don't really see a way you can force it, if they can't do it here, they'll do it elsewhere prob.

8) Faulty Chat + Faulty Note Taking + Small bugs around the site

Not too bothered about chat, notes is a right pain in the ....

9) AutoPostBB + SitOutNextBB + Preferred Seat + Custom Avatars

All nice to haves but won't lose sleep over them.

10) Resizable Tables + Solid Tiling/Stacking
    Again nice to have but more than do-able on your own. I can't understand this desperate need for resizable ones tbh, I play on other sites with them and would never make them smaller than mini-view. Mini view does the job fine and obv you can auto load in mini for ease.

11) Run It Twice
    Meh again, nice to have I suppose but not important and again only gona happen when both agree so if you don't like the idea it doesn't affect you anyway.

12) Different Variants
    Not enough players on the site but if you're gonna add one, 7card stud deffo imo.

13) STT Love

STT players deffo need something, I've suggested a bunch of things, a similar happy hour like cash where you get 50% extra points, win 5 x 6max SnGs in a row (of the same level) and win 5x your BI (or similar), won't happen in 6max SnGs that often and the payout will be far less than the rake made by the games actually running (6max regular SnGs never run on Sky). Lots of other ideas but won't go on. A one-off big TV SnG aint a bad idea either... 5k might be a bit steep mind.

Obv get antes too!

P.S. Stop the forum timing us out, I had to write this in word for fear of being timed out

Paul
  • edited January 2013
    agree with most stuff you say in 8,9 and 10, .... and i agree what others have said reg bet sizing, Also it would be good if sky could make a bigger impact on traffic, although it is growing i think, but i can imagine a greater increase if sky adopted the european market more, like adding a community section for other popular countries possibly, or simply increasing sign up bonus etc Reg H/U Bumhunting, this seems to be a "problem" everywhere and i doubt sky will be one to do something about it, STARS may do something if they feel the need to. But personally i don't see a problem, its like a more advanced way of table selecting but allowing the fish to come to them,..who cares, if you cant beat em join them! unfortunately due to the huge swings in HU cash you have to do this! playing the best players may feed ego and give respect, but say that to those bum hunters who walk away with the cash.
    Posted by WHOAMI196

just because the problem is hard to fix doesn't mean we should allow the pathetic status quo to continue.

capping the number of tables people can sit at is a start. 

there are currently  3 heads up games running, there are 50 heads up tables being sat waited at all thanks to about 12 bumhunters who will barely play anyone who sits anyway.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: 13 Areas for Improvement in 2013 @ SkyPoker : just because the problem is hard to fix doesn't mean we should allow the pathetic status quo to continue. capping the number of tables people can sit at is a start.  there are currently  3 heads up games running, there are 50 heads up tables being sat waited at all thanks to about 12 bumhunters who will barely play anyone who sits anyway.
    Posted by beaneh
    why does this bother you?(sincere question btw), capping the tables is fair if they clutter the lobby, but i still cant see any other problems they cause, other than choosing who they play, but you can not take that option away from them surely!

I am not one to comment to be honest, i seldom play H/U games or at the stakes that these become a problem, but poker sites in general should take a democratic stand point on this issue, but personally i cant see anything being done about this anytime soon.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: 13 Areas for Improvement in 2013 @ SkyPoker : why does this bother you?(sincere question btw), capping the tables is fair if they clutter the lobby, but i still cant see any other problems they cause, other than choosing who they play, but you can not take that option away from them surely! I am not one to comment to be honest, i seldom play H/U games or at the stakes that these become a problem, but poker sites in general should take a democratic stand point on this issue, but personally i cant see anything being done about this anytime soon.
    Posted by WHOAMI196

For those who wish to pass some time, and find HU the most enjoyable format to play they should be able to play, they shouldn't have to open the lobby and be greeted by 100 open heads up tables with NOT A SINGLE PERSON PLAYING all of whom will refuse to play anyone who can tie their shoes. 

If the person decides not to play PLAYER1 then opening 20 more tables and finding him on 15 of those is utterly pathetic. 

It is just negative for the site as a whole because of how the lobby looks, and it easily puts people off.

I'm not saying dont let these lovely people who provide no rake sitting waiting for gifts to not do it just stop absolutely pea doing it to such a stupid and excessive extent.

it is exceptionally frustrating that sky just stick their head in the sand and do nothing about it.
  • edited January 2013
    1) MTT Payout Structure
    Think they are fine as they are.  Wouldn't mind if Sky tweaked them somewhat but I still think that top heavy prizepools FTW

2) Deals at Final Tables
    The prizepools aren't big enough to justify this at this moment in time IMO.  If we got to a stage at Sky Poker where the difference between 1st and 6th was 50k+ then I think then it should be looked at.

3) Freerolls
    Freerolls have a purpose and think that Sky have a nice mix at the moment.  I would personally like to see some 'experience' freerolls on offer that gave seats to some top sporting events, which I'm certain that Sky Poker has access to as being part of BSkyB.

I feel that the best promos for the site are ones that include all bankrolls and thats why the Kings of Cash promo worked so well.  Would love to see more promos for SnG/MTT players too.

5) New vs Old Tables
    I would like to see the 10 seater format return but understand that Sky had their reasons with 99.99pc of their ring game action being 6 max.

6) High Stakes Action
    What beaneh said basically.  There was 25/50 in the lobby and Sky removed them as they didn't get any action in years.  IIRC a number of other poker sites, have removed all stakes higher than 5/10 as they just don't run.  If 10/20 was running 2/3 times a week then I'm sure that Sky would look at putting some bigger games on as the liquidity would be there.

7) Bumhunting
    The HU lobby is a bit embarrasing at the moment.  I do not play HU (only to START 6max games) and think that Sky should look at ways to make it more appealing

The software is being given a total overhaul that will hopefully mean that these small bugs will be a thing of the past.  

Would certainly encourage all of these to be added to the software, as would any cash grinder.

10) Resizable Tables + Solid Tiling/Stacking + Custom Avatars
    I am more than happy with mini view but do find the stacking/tiling a bit annoying.  Customer avatars would be probably more trouble than its worth as there are always some people trying to get rude/offensive things online.

11) Run It Twice + Different Variants
    Run it twice could be fun.  Different variants is total dreamland. 

12) Timebank
    Would be nice to have.

13) STT Love
    I started a thread about this a month or so back and have been told that the SnG lobby is gonna be def be given a revamp soon.  Would be great to see some liqudity in some standard SnGs again.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: 13 Areas for Improvement in 2013 @ SkyPoker : your obsessded with antes
    Posted by rosjim1
    its literally not tournament poker without Ante's
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: 13 Areas for Improvement in 2013 @ SkyPoker : its literally not tournament poker without Ante's
    Posted by bolly580
    +1 antes are the most important thing which needs to be added imo.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: 13 Areas for Improvement in 2013 @ SkyPoker : its literally not tournament poker without Ante's
    Posted by bolly580
    but no ante's means he can fold for longer until he gets QQ+ duh
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: 13 Areas for Improvement in 2013 @ SkyPoker : but no ante's means he can fold for longer until he gets QQ+ duh
    Posted by pryce6
    yeah means blinding down to 7BBs is almost standard
  • edited January 2013
    Firstly, very good thread.  It's refreshing and very welcome to see someone post in a constructive manner about these sorts of issues.  While I agree with some and disagree with other points in the OP, it should always be respected when someone puts forward an argument in this manner.  Kudos.

1) MTT Payout Structure

While the structure needs tweaking I really like the 10% paid and a top heavy table.  You mention the other popular site, I think they pay out far too wide personally.  You make a good point about recreational players getting pay outs and to keep circulating the poker economy.  However on this site they have addressed this by the vast amount of Bounty Hunter MTTs.  Love them or loathe them (there are plenty of people in both of those sections) they allow the recreational play to make a profit or get some sort of return on a regular basis.  If you stretch out the payout structure then you have to eliminate a good portion of these from the schedule IMO.  Half the prize pool is already taken away, you need the top heavy payout table to have the numbers up top to attract a good portion of people to play IMO.

2) Deals at Final Tables

I can take or leave this.  If they were introduced then they would have to be automated (I think one of the smaller big sites either has or had this, haven't played there for a bit).  I really don't fancy handing this over to a non-poker CS rep so if it was by a poker moderator then I hope they were dedicated to this role.

3) Freerolls

It seems to be pretty split if there are too many or too few freerolls here, seen arguments both ways.  I agree with you that freerolls for grinding is a good idea.  I'd like to see the leaderboard back for MTT and SnG players.  MTTs are hugely popular and if you have a run on a leaderboard then you are more likely to play more.  SnGs provide a big chunk of rake and to encourage the SnG grinder a monthly leaderboard (be it BoP or something else) with a decent freeroll or prize at the end of it would be great, might inject some life into the playerpool as well which seems, IMO, to be waning for the £55ers+

I really like EB and Happy Hours.  Then again I usually start tables and always continue 3/2 handed when tables are breaking so I would say that.  I like the Jackpot one as well, the only tweak it's do would be to make the consolation prize available for anyone who wins the mini and FTs the Main as well.  The JP is a grower of a promotion and the longer it goes unclaimed, the more attention it will get.  Sky promote it on TV, Social Media and emails massively (rightly so, it's a hook for potential new players/lapsed accounts).

I think they have to be careful of over doing pure rake races.  Every promo lately seems to be a rake race.  The occasional one (such as the treasure chest one last Jan) are great for turning rake over.  The games do become Reg infested though, it's a tricky balance.  I'd like to see the new TSP set up and new leaderboard promos very soon (but not until they are ready).

I've been called a Sky fanboy before and I obviously love the site and community.  However if I had one criticism it would be that osme ideas are not seen all the way through or forgotten about.  TSP was a great idea, but it wasn't pushed enough after the first quarter or so.  The UK Cash game is great, we were told about all the plans for new ones yet they haven't happened.  Showing games on a 5 min delay at times other than the live shows was trialled, bigged up and stopped.  SkyPoker are all about new ideas, it's one of the reasons I love playing here.  It just seems sometimes instead of seeing one idea all of the way through it's on to the next new thing.

5) New vs Old Tables

Pretty much agree here.  Personally I don't like Cap tables.  As Beaneh said earlier they might need to be given a chance and if PLO was pushed then I can see their use.  I don't like ot play FR but there's obviously a market for it and it would be nice to see them available.  I'd go 9 handed rather than 10 though.

6) High Stakes Action

Run before walk IMO.  If £10/£20 regularly ran, there'd be higher soon enough.  If regs at £10/£20 requested higher, I think we'd see it.

7) Bumhunting

The oldest problem in online poker IMO.  There have been a ton of threads already on this subject so I don't really want to go into it here otherwise it derails everything else you've written.  My stand point - I don't do it, I can understand why people do it, I think it hurts the game and poker economy, if there was a solution I'd like to see it.

Completely agree with what you have put under this one.  The note facility for me needs urgent attention.

I'd like to see preferences when you sit at a table (check APBB/Wait etc).  The little bug that cancels a hand when a new player is on the button isn't a big deal but it's a personal annoyance of mine.  Don't think preferred seat is a biggy but auto top up is something I can see people would like.  I wouldn't use it myself (I'm very root canal about recording every penny on my spreadsheet.  Yes I know I could check my account before standing but I like doing it my way, my own neurosis).

10) Resizable Tables + Solid Tiling/Stacking + Custom Avatars

Resizable tables would be nice but I don't think they'd be the boon everyone thinks they'll be.  Tiling sorting out I agree with.  I don't think custom avatars will happen here but I'd certainly like to see more, including an avatar for each of the teams on SkyPoker

11) Run It Twice + Different Variants

Run it twice isn't needed IMO, then again I never have it enabled on the other site.  As far as variants goes it's a site designed for recs more than regs, most recs like to play hold em.  If PLO and PLO8 got properly established then yes I would push for more games such as the studs of this world.  I'd like to play here long enough to play Badugi here (love that game).

12) Timebank

I've addressed this one before.  I'd like to see it for cash only but that would be hugely unfair on the tournament players here and put fuel on the fire of those who believe SkyPoker gears all of their promos/changes around cash players.  I really dislike the timebank, I think people over use it and that other popular site has a real problem with.  Late on in a MTT some of the TBs are so huge I've lost levels waiting for people to get back from the toilet.  If one was brought it it needs a ceiling amount of time in it, with the +x secs not going higher than a certain point.  Plus you've got to click it to activate it, not just have it roll out when you're AFK.  If something workable is put together which doesn't hurt the enjoyment of the games here for the recs by slowing they down too much then I'd be all for it.

13) STT Love

Agree with everything you've put.

14) Odd Bet Sizing + Hand Histories

Yes needs looking at.  The bet buttons in the blinds need to be sorted.  Would be nice to make them custom as well but there are more important things to put in first.

Again Smity, great thread Sir.