You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Too tight again?

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Can't add much on this one... I nearly timed out on decision anyway as couldn't decide whether to bet or not... no real info on the oppo, only real reason I slowed was the lead-out donk bet on the flop... given the paired board as well this led me to check, rather than follow my senses that were screaming 'he's got a King and nothing much else'... mostly because I'm 100% not good enough to play on 'senses' :)

Should I have bet the river?  If I bet, is it all-in or a really small value bet and fold to re-raise?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
x1 Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £13.04
vil Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £8.85
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

x2 Fold        
shakinaces Raise   £0.40 £0.55 £9.22
x1 Fold        
vil Call   £0.30 £0.85 £8.55
Flop

• K
  • J

vil Bet   £0.40 £1.25 £8.15
shakinaces Raise   £1.20 £2.45 £8.02
vil Call   £0.80 £3.25 £7.35
Turn

vil Check        
shakinaces Bet   £2.00 £5.25 £6.02
vil Call   £2.00 £7.25 £5.35
River

vil Check        
shakinaces Check        

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Not a great flop for aces but I still think the rivers a vbet once he's checked it to you. Still plenty of hands he pays you off with, bet/fold something like 3-5£.
  • edited January 2013
  • edited January 2013

Deffo shoving river here, looks very much like a Kx hand here or missed draw.

• edited January 2013
    Shakin i understand why you checked the river here,you have no reads on the villian and what do you do if you bet and he shoves on you.It looks like he has a missed flush draw but to be honest i would have checked the river as well.

It is interesting that Rancid who is a good cash player gives a very strong answer as to what line he would take,i aint a good cash player so i would think longterm Rancid's play would be the correct play.

Can you let us know if you took down the pot.
  • edited January 2013
    with less than a pot sized bet behind for both villain and hero the only option is too shove, bet fold is....just funny, checking is wayy too weak.
  • edited January 2013
    Definately shove, I would assume a missed flush draw / gut shot here.
  • edited January 2013
    Cheers for the posts all - unsurprisingly you can all read hands far better than me, as oppo flipped K9 and I raked the pot... given the play to that point I can only assume a shove would have gotten paid which means I lost huge value from my sub optimal play.

Those donk-bets on the flop always start to play with my mind, I usually figure they must have something made to be doing that and, on this occasion, pretty much talked myself into putting a 10 into too much of his range.

Ah well, lesson learned and thanks again for the help.
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks for posting this hand shakin, it is a good hand to learn from.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Too tight again?:
    Cheers for the posts all - unsurprisingly you can all read hands far better than me, as oppo flipped K9 and I raked the pot... given the play to that point I can only assume a shove would have gotten paid which means I lost huge value from my sub optimal play. Those donk-bets on the flop always start to play with my mind, I usually figure they must have something made to be doing that and, on this occasion, pretty much talked myself into putting a 10 into too much of his range. Ah well, lesson learned and thanks again for the help.
    Posted by shakinaces

why is oppo checking, massive mistake to check with str or a 10
    Your even now ahead of KJ

• edited January 2013
    Yeah very good point... probably just over thinking things when in the hand... that's why nl10 is the upper limit of my bank roll :/

Thanks again for the post rancid, good to hear the thinking of someone who has bashed up this level.
  • edited January 2013
    I'd shove here and get called by Q9