You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Advise Please.How to play Bounty Hunters.

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
High I would like some advice on how to play a bounty hunter, I have tried a few of these with little success .
Q: What is the best hand range to play.
Q: Do you raise if you have a decent starting hand.
Q: Is position key or can you play any position.
As I am just starting to play these games just the basics will be a good start. Thanks

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Q: What is the best hand range to play.
    I play a MUCH wider range in bounty hunters, simple reason for that is that even though you want to go deep in the tournament, Head prizes are also a great way to get back your stake and even make money also, suited connectors and low pocket pairs which you wont usually raise on in normal tournaments are good in BH's as often you can flop the absoulute world and catch alot of people out, on the other hand it can catch you out also as it may bring plenty of draws.

Q: Do you raise if you have a decent starting hand.
    Ofcourse you do, It is sometimes like playing a normal tournament as it is still 6 seated but its good to mix it up (as stated above)

Q: Is position key or can you play any position.
    Position is key in ALL tournaments, but you can play out of position in BH's quite easily as like ive stated before, its good to mix up your hands slightly to catch people out!

Damo
  • edited January 2013
    I play bounty hunters the same way as i would a normal mtt alot of people go all out and crazy for bountys when the real money is cashing in the mtt and better just play the same way a if its a mtt coz if u get far run deep u are going to get bountys on the way
  • edited January 2013

One way to play a B/H is play it like a normal tournament, raise with your decent hands, but also tighten your play until the blinds get to a decent size.. 50/100. Try and build your stack slowly and steadily. Don't go chasing bounties with rubbish hands or get involved with multi way all ins unless you have a strong enough hand to call it.....Earn your respect at the table by being tight, play premium hands, and winning them.  As the tournie goes on, you will find that the 'fishing frenzy' slows down as the loose players (calling stations) get knocked out and because you've built a rep up on the table, you'll be able to push a few bluffs through to take down a few pots. Don't take any notice of your position on the leader board, but try and stay around the upper middle of the rankings. As you pick up your premium hands play them for max value and let smaller stacks call their all ins   against you when you have the nuts...if they check make a min bet and try and induce them to shove at you, once they've re-raised you shove over the top..9/10 they will call you cause they've got a piece of the flop and think you've missed, or make your bet large enough that if they call it will put them more or less all in. 

The real money is the cash end of the tournies where the bounties are bigger, aim to get into the cash and stay there, giving a push against smaller stacks, especially around the bubble where most people in and around that position tighten up to make the cash.

You will, because of the nature of the B/H, have bad beats and somnetimes feel nothing is going your way. If you get short stacked in the early stages, sit back and wait for a premium spot or hand and slowly build your chips back up.... DONT BE AFRAID TO FOLD AND WAIT FOR A BETTER POSITION IF YOU THINK YOU ARE BEHIND />>>

• edited January 2013
    try and make the best hand - simples )

+ understand iso rasises
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks to all that replied i will take all advise onboard Good luck on the tables
  • edited January 2013
    Hi rawhand

That's not an easy question and tbh, i wish i knew. You may find that micro stack play has players in with different strategies. Some like to double up early and then bully. Others stay very tight. Personally i find them a bit of a donk fest with some terrible play in. Consequently, you may find them a bit frustrating. I certainly do at the moment. IMO, there can be a lot of play in these T's that is not based on sound poker principles. The attraction of the bounty is just too much for some. However, some players seem to do well at them and have cracked the 'code'. I'm just cheesed because i haven't!! All the best mate.
  • edited January 2013
    good tip for bounty hunters, register late, wait around 30mins, you will find a lot of the time you will get a few short stackers at your table, and thus easier bounties to take.
  • edited January 2013
    playing your normal game is decent enough advice, but with head prizes accounting for 50% of the prizepool, you can call lighter in situations imo, and just generally adjust to people playing loose
  • edited January 2013
    First: 6/3/2010
    Last: 6/1/2013
    good tip for bounty hunters, register late, wait around 30mins, you will find a lot of the time you will get a few short stackers at your table, and thus easier bounties to take.

i disagree i wanna play from the start as i find the weaker players go out early so best time to get chips
  • edited January 2013
    Its so easy to get a double up on here in the bounty hunters.  Not normally my style but best strategy is to play like a nit in these and wait for a hand and shove as people on here go absoloutly ballistic to try and win a bounty and will call with practically any 2 cards.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Advise Please.How to play Bounty Hunters.:
    Its so easy to get a double up on here in the bounty hunters.  Not normally my style but best strategy is to play like a nit in these and wait for a hand and shove as people on here go absoloutly ballistic to try and win a bounty and will call with practically any 2 cards.
    Posted by bearlyther
    Then knock you out of the tournie lol
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Advise Please.How to play Bounty Hunters. : Then knock you out of the tournie lol
    Posted by seppe
    Probobly lol.  The point i am making there is so much value in them as people will go crazy just to win a bounty.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Advise Please.How to play Bounty Hunters. : Probobly lol.  The point i am making there is so much value in them as people will go crazy just to win a bounty.
    Posted by bearlyther
    some go so crazy with wanting the head prize they even shove all of their chips in with hands like 56o hoping that only himself and the head prize will remain for the flop
  • edited January 2013
    Generally in early stages of a BH, you get more all-ins pre-flop and more multi-player action post flop than a normal MTT as people over-value the bounty.

In early stages of a BH it pays to play counter to the table dynamic, which usually means play very tight for the first few rounds and then be very aggressive when you are v strong preflop and using position and knowledge of your opponent to try and get the chips in if you hit a flop big. E.g. Shove on gamblers and keep the calling stations in the pot (unless you are worried about the texture of the board and draws).

Always open raise or reraise with a strong hand preflop, regardless of position. In early stages you can open call, or call small raises with drawing hands in position.

The main adjustment I make from a standard MTT to BH is to watch my stack in relation to the average stack size. In a BH there is added equity in maintaining a stack above average as you will have more opportunities to take a bounty. This means, ideally building a stack steadily without taking too many risks early on, but if the cards and situations aren't there to allow that in the early rounds I will generally start taking risks to get in that above average position once the blinds have gone up enough to make it pay.

In an MTT I am not too worried about stack size v average and tend to focus on how many BBs I have in my stack and use that as the marker for taking risks.
  • edited January 2013
    Play them like you would anything else. Call wider when short stacks go all in if its not a big % of your stack.