You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Do I Call This All In?

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
I satallited into the 2k B/h and was placed in 6 th place and hit AQ suited spade and raised 4xbb...should I call the re-raise all-in against the villian who was raising nearly hand and playing quite aggressively. We had similar stack sizes with him being slightly ahead in 5th place. We were down the last 20 players and was guaranteed to cash with £68.00 in bounties + the place prize......So..do i call the re-raise knowing his range is wide from small pockets pairs to the nuts, or do I fold and wait for a better position and play to make  the final table?

***Small blind 600.00600.0013215.00****Big blind 1200.001800.0036280.00 Your hole cardsAQ   larry1959Raise 4800.006600.0044800.25****Fold    villianAll-in 50352.5056952.500.00****Fold    ****Fold

Comments

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Do I Call This All In?:
    I satallited into the 2k B/h and was placed in 6 th place and hit AQ suited spade and raised 4xbb...should I call the re-raise all-in against the villian who was raising nearly hand and playing quite aggressively. We had similar stack sizes with him being slightly ahead in 5th place. We were down the last 20 players and was guaranteed to cash with £68.00 in bounties + the place prize......So..do i call the re-raise knowing his range is wide from small pockets pairs to the nuts, or do I fold and wait for a better position and play to make  the final table? *** Small blind   600.00 600.00 13215.00 **** Big blind   1200.00 1800.00 36280.00   Your hole cards A Q       larry1959 Raise   4800.00 6600.00 44800.25 **** Fold         villian All-in   50352.50 56952.50 0.00 **** Fold         **** Fold
    Posted by larry1959
    From what you say about the villain, id say its a good spot to call. You called he showed aa/kk lol?
  • edited January 2013
    why do you open 4x? what difference does that make to 2x or 2.5x? why wouldnt you open less giving you more opportunity to play post flop poker? opening 4x means youre only going to get played back at if youre not in v.good shape really. youre making AJ etc fold, most small pp's will fold

your info isnt really good. are you saying he's been shoving over the top regularly? or are you just saying he's been opening a lot? has he been 3betting a lot? how have you been playing?

why would he ever shove small pp's here unless youve been playing like a maniac. how much do you open with if you have AA here?
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Do I Call This All In?:
    why do you open 4x? what difference does that make to 2x or 2.5x? why wouldnt you open less giving you more opportunity to play post flop poker? opening 4x means youre only going to get played back at if youre not in v.good shape really. youre making AJ etc fold, most small pp's will fold your info isnt really good. are you saying he's been shoving over the top regularly? or are you just saying he's been opening a lot? has he been 3betting a lot? how have you been playing? why would he ever shove small pp's here unless youve been playing like a maniac. how much do you open with if you have AA here?
    Posted by percival09
    +1

you posted a recent thread where everyone told you to stop raising so big.......yet you still do it
  • edited January 2013
    fold

oppo is shoving against a UTG 4x open

AK/JJ or something at best- 77 at a push

has oppo 3 bet shoved on you before ? or been 3 betting lots

wouldn't be overkeen to get it in w/AQ in this spot

• edited January 2013
    As others have said you should not be 4xing.  You should keep your raise rizes the same each time and not change your raise sizes with your hand strength.  At these blind levels we can not afford to be 4x folding were just bleeding chips.  When we minimum raise we achieve the same job and if i have got position on someone in the blinds i actually want them to call as most of the time we can take the pot down with position.

Heres an example of how you should adapt your raise sizes.  3xing for the 1st 2 levels then minimum raising with a few chips slightly over when you get to the 3rd level.  This is an example of how you can adapt your raise sizes.

10/20- 60
    15/30- 90
    25/50- 125
    30/60- 140
    40/80- 180
    50/100- 125
    75/150- 325
    100-200-225

etc your raise sizes should be the same all the time. 4xing at this blind level is a big leak and you will bleed chips away.  even 3xing at this level is a big leak 4xing is just crazy.

• edited January 2013
    Folding here would be a big mistake imo not saying were ahead but you have 4xd it.  Imo you have 4xed it to get it in how can we change our plan now that villan has shoved on us.  Or were you 4xing preflop as a bluff trying to get people to fold pre!  I dont understand your logic here.  Either way 4xing is a mistake.
  • edited January 2013
    The question here was.... do I call against the villian who has been playing nearly every hand, and has 3 bet every raise to him. My play throughout the tournie had been tight/aggressive and had only played 31% of flops..winning 84% of show downs.
  • edited January 2013
    Sorry Larry but them stats are pretty meaningless because there's no telling whether you've played 31% of flops cos you were getting dealt junk and being loose or only playing AK and JJ+ but getting dealt them every 5 mins. Also winning 84% could mean a number of things, it could mean you're a complete rock (generally bad) and only put chips in when you KNOW virtually 100% that you have the winning hand, or it could mean half a dozen other things.

The issue is 4xing in this hand because 4xing UTG this late in a tourney looks SO strong, and despite this someone is still happy to shove on you, so I'd go along with Rancid's opinion of the kind of range he has.... BUT then from what you've said it sounds like he's 3betting with wreckless abandon so many not.

On the other hand, making it 4x is basically announcing you're gonna be playing for stacks cos not many people are gonna call a raise like this and just check/fold or whatever. You've taken away the opportunity to play any poker cos you put everyone in a position where they think, right I HAVE to shove or fold now cos I can't do anything else.

4xing at this stage then folding to a jam/raise is pretty disgusting to be honest and even mroe so if you say he's 3betting non stop, so I call but I'm not exactly over the moon about it.

If you raised smaller, you might have been able to play some post-flop poker and have much more control over the outcome of the hand rather than relying on what we hope will be a 60/40
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Do I Call This All In?:
    The question here was.... do I call against the villian who has been playing nearly every hand, and has 3 bet every raise to him. My play throughout the tournie had been tight/aggressive and had only played 31% of flops..winning 84% of show downs.
    Posted by larry1959
    i think i would fold and wait for a better spot you still have a playable stack after a fold but as said b4 4x pre is to much unless your willing to get it in 2.5 will have the same affect at that blind level.

i take it you called?
  • edited January 2013
    If he has 3 bet every time then I call.
    Why open 4 x if you know he will 3 bet and you might fold?
  • edited January 2013
    Hi Larry

You're probably doing better than i am in tournaments etc but you post some stuff in the clinic that have glaring errors imo and more importantly in good regs' opinions but choose to ignore their advice. Why do you raise so big at these levels. I'm sure you put something up in an earlier post that had the same error/leak so is this your normal play?
    As for calling. He rer's ai a 4xBB bet. Well, a 3x r woul be stronger by him imo but his play is aggro so he may be trapping. Personally, i think he certainly has a hand as he has a approx 11 bb stack behind so may be trying to entice that player and push you off. To my mind its min JJ+, AK+ and you are miles behind. But hey if you're offering up 4xBB r every time then he may be stealing and being aggro for precisely that reason......ie your raise size.
    Does this make sense?
  • edited January 2013
    knowing he 3bets every time, and then 4xing, and then folding to the inevitable 3bet is terrible. easy call with your info, if its true.