You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

did position allow me to check

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
what i was thinking was any big bet would probably result in a fold unless he held a card of the same suit, if i decided to make a small bet then that i thought would be just checking really.
ley60 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.36
NJ2 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £1.12
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

LB438 Fold     
craigcu12 Raise  £0.20 £0.26 £6.76
shakinaces Fold     
bmh1946 Fold     
joeley60 Call  £0.18 £0.44 £1.18
NJ2 Fold     
Flop

• K

joeley60 Check     
craigcu12 Check     
Turn

joeley60 Bet  £0.04 £0.48 £1.14
craigcu12 Call  £0.04 £0.52 £6.72
if on the other hand i was OOP would a check still be the right hing to do?

Comments

• edited January 2013
    no why would you check? just bet gii
    no to your other question
  • edited January 2013
    No

and OOP it would be correct to check if he had raised pre and you'd just called, then you can check to the raiser but you should never be flatting a raise with KK (not at 4NL anyway), so you'd be 3betting OOP, he'd flat, and then cos you're the preflop aggressor you should bet this flop.

4NL = NEVER try to 'trap' people, when you've got it just bet!

You've raised pre and need to c-bet...

1) What do you do if another spade comes, just hope you make a FH or fold? Even if he doesn't have the flush himself he aint gonna loads of money into a pot when there are 4 spades out with worse, so it kills your action.

2) Would you c-bet with KQ, AQ, loads of spade flush draws like AsX?

3) Betting gets value from everyone who has a decent spade, quite a few PPs, any Kx (quite unlikely when you've got 2 but still happens).

You've flopped the world on a dengerous board and are giving yourself virtually zero chance of getting stacks in the middle by checking the flop. The only caveat to this is that he's very much a short stack, but you still need to get the money in now while yuo're most likely to be ahead and opponents will be most willing to put theirs in too.
  • edited January 2013
    Yea bet the flop
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: did position allow me to check:
    No and OOP it would be correct to check if he had raised pre and you'd just called, then you can check to the raiser but you should never be flatting a raise with KK (not at 4NL anyway), so you'd be 3betting OOP, he'd flat, and then cos you're the preflop aggressor you should bet this flop. 4NL = NEVER try to 'trap' people, when you've got it just bet! You've raised pre and need to c-bet... 1) What do you do if another spade comes, just hope you make a FH or fold? Even if he doesn't have the flush himself he aint gonna loads of money into a pot when there are 4 spades out with worse, so it kills your action. 2) Would you c-bet with KQ, AQ, loads of spade flush draws like AsX? 3) Betting gets value from everyone who has a decent spade, quite a few PPs, any Kx (quite unlikely when you've got 2 but still happens). You've flopped the world on a dengerous board and are giving yourself virtually zero chance of getting stacks in the middle by checking the flop. The only caveat to this is that he's very much a short stack, but you still need to get the money in now while yuo're most likely to be ahead and opponents will be most willing to put theirs in too.
    Posted by Lambert180
    does this maybe have something to do with slow play being common on these tables villians bets seem very weak until they hit their big hand then either shove or check shove.
    the reason i say this is unless he's a maniac the villian very rarely is much betting until the river card then it's either check shove or jumping frop micro bets pre, flop and turn into massive bets on river
    today a villian had KK i raised 12p on the button with QJs he called i have seen a lot of villian just called so when i got second highest pair i decide to cointunue betting 12p
  • edited January 2013
    bet - you have a set

plus a scare card will stop the action

if oppo has a spade you have action on the flop, if oppo has a hand you have action

if oppo flopped the world, you have outs

if you bet and scare card comes, easy to get away from

more reason to bet than to check
  • edited January 2013
    does this maybe have something to do with slow play being common on these tables villians bets seem very weak until they hit their big hand then either shove or check shove.

Players correctly slow playing hands seldom happens at these levels, its more likley that they have a decent hand and have no idea how to extract value from it or have a weak one pair hand or draw and are looking to see a cheap card or showdown.
    At these levels you cant go far wrong with the "big hand, big bet" philsophy, In this case you will get called by so many Kx hands, big Pocket pairs, other sets, and any decent spade, Bet flop some where in region of 30-35p and put him all in on turn.