You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

should i just have shoved the turn

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic

Addis1 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £7.49
roadrunn14 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £2.77
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

craigcu12 Raise  £0.20 £0.26 £5.06
TINTIN Fold     
___Call  £0.18 £0.44 £7.31
roadrunn14 Fold     
Flop

• Q

____Bet  £0.04 £0.48 £7.27
craigcu12 Raise  £0.30 £0.78 £4.76
____Call  £0.26 £1.04 £7.01
Turn

___Check     
craigcu12 Bet  £0.48 £1.52 £4.28
_____Call  £0.48 £2.00 £6.53
River

• A

___Check     
craigcu12 Bet  £0.60 £2.60 £3.68
____Call  £0.60 £3.20 £5.93
craigcu12 Show
  • K
  • K

___Show
  • A

____Win Pair of Aces £2.96  £8.89
his betting made it very hard to know his hand strength and alway seemed quiet when he had good hands
should i have just shove or would that still have got him to call as for the river should i have just checked.

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Never in a million years. You make it SO hard for anyone to call (even at 4NL) and why would you want him to fold when you're a massive favourite. Don't be results orientated

Just no need for such a big overbet. You should however have bet more like 80p, you wanna get the most when these people are calling with junk hoping to hit.

When you bet the turn you are 85% favourite to win, so 85% of the time you get an extra 30p off him, and 15% of the time we lose an extra 30p (assuming no more bets), easy decision.
  • edited January 2013
    On a personal basis, trying to 'beat' nl4 alongside my other current learnings, I would be keeping the bets as big as possible in this situation - same 20p pre-flop, but then full pot on flop and full pot on turn.

I'd invariably check back the river, but then I play too tight! It should probably be a half-pot bet at least I should imagine?

But no, in answer to your question I'm not sure enough people call a shove with worse hands to make it a worthwhile play.

Love the oppo's play though lol... all that chasing and then not even raising on the river... even I'd not be that tight to miss a value bet on the river in that situation :)
  • edited January 2013
    Yes but the turn around 7op here for value and i like your small value bet on the river can get value from some queens.

We dont need to shove the turn as we wantthe hands which we are beating to come along not to fold them out.

• edited January 2013
    As has been said turn bigger 70-80p Thin value bet on the river is a good play
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: should i just have shoved the turn:
    Yes but the turn around 7op here for value and i like your small value bet on the river can get value from some queens. We dont need to shove the turn as we wantthe hands which we are beating to come along not to fold them out.
    Posted by bearlyther
    so with hands like over pairs an sets should most of my betting be done where i bet between 20p-30p on the flop followed by a turn bet of around  60p-£1 while the river is between £1-shove unless their is big scare card/s comes out.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: should i just have shoved the turn:
    In Response to Re: should i just have shoved the turn : so with hands like over pairs an sets should most of my betting be done where i bet between 20p-30p on the flop followed by a turn bet of around  60p-£1 while the river is between £1-shove unless their is big scare card/s comes out.
    Posted by craigcu12
    Depends on board textures mate but to keep things simple generally try and bet around 70% of the pot