You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DYM early stages, how to play this??

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
No one been really aggro, no reads as early on.

Was pre and post bet sizing ok , is this a shove or fold? ( i assume flatting is not an option? )

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
ROS77 Small blind  10.00 10.00 1930.00
rich1961 Big blind  20.00 30.00 1860.00
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

MrJoeBlogs Call  20.00 50.00 2070.00
davelufc Raise  100.00 150.00 2880.00
Brazidaz Call  100.00 250.00 1040.00
tabs71 Fold     
ROS77 Fold     
rich1961 Fold     
MrJoeBlogs Call  80.00 330.00 1990.00
Flop

• J

MrJoeBlogs Check     
davelufc Bet  330.00 660.00 2550.00
Brazidaz Fold     
MrJoeBlogs Raise  660.00 1320.00 1330.00
davelufc  ? 

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Hi Dave
    We've played a few times on dyms. Is this £3/£5 as lower or higher may be slightly different on what people may play.
    So its level 1 and you've been playing a fair bit by the size of your stack. Consequently, some ABC players will look upon you as loose. That could be a factor.
    Pre bet size is good to my mind although 200 would push him off set mining with spprs incl 88 as he knows the flop should incl prob two higher cards.
    Post bet size........well the check raise after a flop which leaves flush or trips for JJ or 88 seems to be only options. AK should've folded ,you'd think, so min ch R seems strong imo. I can't fault your bet size though it does, considering your stack, seem a little on the "i'm ready to let this go if i get resistance" side.
    IMO, this is a fold for me primarily because your remaining stack still leaves you in a great position and you have no reads or notes on this player. He may be just making a play after a couple too many Buds but you need not test this out really.
  • edited January 2013
    bet less on flop

set or draw - you decide

what would mr bloggs do...

it could be AJ

--- i think 55 so fold---
  • edited January 2013

pre fine, really don't like above suggestion of making it 200, bet less on flop, prob fold now
  • edited January 2013
    Yea bet less on flop were folding out all his air hands should be inducing here all day long.  I think we have to get it in after you have potted it on the flop.  I think potting it here on the flop then folding would be really bad even tho we may be behind the way youve played it on the flop we have to go with it. Surely your bet size is so big on the flop its to get it in dont see how you can change your plan.

But yea definately bet less on the flop betting bet something like 189 here.  I even think betting like 250 here is too big as it doesnt give him a chance to bluff.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: DYM early stages, how to play this??:
    Hi Dave We've played a few times on dyms. Is this £3/£5 as lower or higher may be slightly different on what people may play. So its level 1 and you've been playing a fair bit by the size of your stack. Consequently, some ABC players will look upon you as loose. That could be a factor. Pre bet size is good to my mind although 200 would push him off set mining with spprs incl 88 as he knows the flop should incl prob two higher cards. Post bet size........well the check raise after a flop which leaves flush or trips for JJ or 88 seems to be only options. AK should've folded ,you'd think, so min ch R seems strong imo. I can't fault your bet size though it does, considering your stack, seem a little on the "i'm ready to let this go if i get resistance" side. IMO, this is a fold for me primarily because your remaining stack still leaves you in a great position and you have no reads or notes on this player. He may be just making a play after a couple too many Buds but you need not test this out really.
    Posted by profman15
    Why would you want to make lower pairs fold pre flop?

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: DYM early stages, how to play this?? : Why would you want to make lower pairs fold pre flop?
    Posted by NColley
     Hi N

This is a dym and i feel that the strategy is different here.
    There are even mathematically proven cases where folding AA is the proper thing to do. It's a matter of surviving to the top three. Its not wanting lower pairs to go away. I'm happy to win the pot without worrying. I have 2800 in chips and don't want to get caught out.
    This is level one and even Moshman talks in his book of the problems of playing at these levels without QQ+, AK+. as the rewards don't offset the pitfalls. I'm trying to narrow his range of hands so that i have a good feel for what he is playing. If i make a bet that imo would push 88 away then when he calls and an 8 flops then i don't worry about it. With 100 as a bet, with only 80 to call and two others in the pot, he may be tempted. Its a way of looking at it and i may be wrong but this is a dym not a deep stack where i'm trying to string him along. Remember the only peple guaranteed to gain, icm-wise,  from an all-in and call are the remaining players outside the pot. TBH, level one plays here with QQ, i would much rather win small here than take it past the flop because all the cards are jack or less. Too many times at this level i will be up against QQ+, AK+ and fnd myself out of the dym or in peril. Dave isn't as he has a good stack and so, if he can't define his opponents hand more clearly then he should fold imo. Again a 200 bet has that aim as he has the stack to slightly bully. Its only a a way of playing dym's. Maybe me posting up first was opening myself up to the gattling gun but that's what a clinic is for. I'm learning too and i may disagree with more experienced and successful players. All we can do is try to explain the reasons we said what we did. In time we may change our opinion. Thats the aim of the clinic and i'm happy to accept your criticism though i do have reasons in my strategy for pushing away a weaker hand preflop. You may not agree with what i am doing but those were the reasons. Cheers.
  • edited January 2013
    Just my personal opinion, but these sort of min-raises, especially in the first two levels, tend to be made hands.  Therefore I'd figure it's a set or, at best for us, a loose-ish player getting frisky with AJ.

Either way, in DYM I think that with no reads you have to credit them with a hand that beats you and sigh fold - obv that changes if in later levels or with less players remaining.

FWIW I'd normally look to bet the minimum at all times in DYM (bar the all-in shoves in later stages) - I think a 2/3 bet here gets the same results cheaper (either fold hands that can outdraw you while you're ahead / drag poor players into calling - or see this sort of min-raise and get away cheaply).

Out of interest, what level is this being played at?  Am guessing it's at least one level above my usual buy in...
  • edited January 2013
    Hi all,

Quite interesting to see a hand I was involved in posted in the clinic.

Oh and to Proffman, no I hadn't had a few to many buds mate lol.
  • edited January 2013
    I have posted in the clinic with several hands and questions about what to do in certain situations. The biggest thing to come out of it is 'BET SIZING'... the standard seems to be 2xBB plus one blind for each limper. By betting these amounts you do not become pot commited so easily or leech so many chips by folding in positions like this, and it makes it easier to get off a hand without to much damage to your stack.

In this case, especially at the lower levels a 2xBB + 1 for the limper (so 80 chips) would have made a smaller pot, then a bet of around 60-70% of the pot.If he shoves all in then all you've lost is about 220 chips and not the 430 you are now looking at losing if you fold. The chances are he's got AJ,or could be on a straight draw with 9/10 suited(a stronger hand like AA,KK would be re-raising you preflop), you have to try and work out his range, He may have called with AK missed the flop completely, put you on a similar hand  and just shoved. But apart from pocket pairs that connect with the flop giving him a set, I'm not worried so I'm calling.... 
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks all for the replies, i`m really struggling to find that pesky fold button when i`ve raised and there is no overcard on the board, even though i`ve been re raised!!

I think that when we put a player on a certain hand ( AJ/ Axc / ) we end up HOPING he has that hand!!

If any A or K was on that flop, i`m prob outta there in a DYM!

Cheers again lads,
    ROS77 Small blind  10.00 10.00 1930.00
    rich1961 Big blind  20.00 30.00 1860.00
     Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

MrJoeBlogs Call  20.00 50.00 2070.00
    davelufc Raise  100.00 150.00 2880.00
    Brazidaz Call  100.00 250.00 1040.00
    tabs71 Fold     
    ROS77 Fold     
    rich1961 Fold     
    MrJoeBlogs Call  80.00 330.00 1990.00
    Flop

• J

MrJoeBlogs Check     
    davelufc Bet  330.00 660.00 2550.00
    Brazidaz Fold     
    MrJoeBlogs Raise  660.00 1320.00 1330.00
    davelufc All-in  2550.00 3870.00 0.00
    MrJoeBlogs All-in  1330.00 5200.00 0.00
    davelufc Unmatched bet  890.00 4310.00 890.00
    MrJoeBlogs Show
    • J
    • J

davelufc Show
    • Q
    • Q

Turn

River

MrJoeBlogs Win Full House, Jacks and 8s 4310.00  4310.00

Exit hand from same tourney. QQ premium hand pfffffftt lol!
    rich1961 Small blind  25.00 25.00 1880.00
    MrJoeBlogs Big blind  50.00 75.00 4170.00
     Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

davelufc All-in  775.00 850.00 0.00
    Brazidaz Fold     
    tabs71 Fold     
    ROS77 Call  775.00 1625.00 745.00
    rich1961 Fold     
    MrJoeBlogs Fold     
    davelufc Show
    • Q
    • Q

ROS77 Show
    • J
    • J

Flop

• J

Turn

River

• A

ROS77 Win Full House, Jacks and 3s 1625.00  2370.00

• edited January 2013
    Thanks all for the replies, i`m really struggling to find that pesky fold button when i`ve raised and there is no overcard on the board, even though i`ve been re raised!!   I think that when we put a player on a certain hand ( AJ/ Axc / ) we end up HOPING he has that hand!! If any A or K was on that flop, i`m prob outta there in a DYM! Cheers again lads, Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance ROS77 Small blind   10.00 10.00 1930.00 rich1961 Big blind   20.00 30.00 1860.00   Your hole cards Q Q       MrJoeBlogs Call   20.00 50.00 2070.00 davelufc Raise   100.00 150.00 2880.00 Brazidaz Call   100.00 250.00 1040.00 tabs71 Fold         ROS77 Fold         rich1961 Fold         MrJoeBlogs Call   80.00 330.00 1990.00 Flop     5 J 8       MrJoeBlogs Check         davelufc Bet   330.00 660.00 2550.00 Brazidaz Fold         MrJoeBlogs Raise   660.00 1320.00 1330.00 davelufc All-in   2550.00 3870.00 0.00 MrJoeBlogs All-in   1330.00 5200.00 0.00 davelufc Unmatched bet   890.00 4310.00 890.00 MrJoeBlogs Show J J       davelufc Show Q Q       Turn     3       River     8       MrJoeBlogs Win Full House, Jacks and 8s 4310.00   4310.00
    Posted by davelufc

A set if very hard to detect..most of us would have done the same and we walk into a cooler...there are very few who are going to fold QQ on a J high flop
  • edited January 2013
    Hi all, Quite interesting to see a hand I was involved in posted in the clinic. Oh and to Proffman, no I hadn't had a few to many buds mate lol.
    Posted by MrJoeBlogs
     Hi Joe

I wasn't saying that anything you were doing was wrong or poor play and obviously not from seeing that you'd hit your set. Consequently as i said, a min raise would show strength than an all-in as you may be trying to induce a shove, quite correctly. However, i've come across players whose chat box antics have suggested 'Buds at work' as their play has been a little extravagant, shall we say. It all helps in making a decision, don'tyou think. Really i was just joshing...no offence m8. Have a good 2013.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: DYM early stages, how to play this?? :  Hi Joe I wasn't saying that anything you were doing was wrong or poor play and obviously not from seeing that you'd hit your set. Consequently as i said, a min raise would show strength than an all-in as you may be trying to induce a shove, quite correctly. However, i've come across players whose chat box antics have suggested 'Buds at work' as their play has been a little extravagant, shall we say. It all helps in making a decision, don'tyou think. Really i was just joshing...no offence m8. Have a good 2013.
    Posted by profman15
    Hiya Prof,

No offence taken at all mate.
    I enjoy reading the clinic, It's really interesting seeing how different people play the same hand.
    As this 1 played out I re raised hoping Dave would shove as I had him on an over pair.
  • edited January 2013
    mmmm limp/call  UTG - wet your pants on flop - what hand could it be.......mmmmmmmmmmmm
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: DYM early stages, how to play this?? : A set if very hard to detect..most of us would have done the same and we walk into a cooler...there are very few who are going to fold QQ on a J high flop
    Posted by larry1959
    when they limp, flat the raise and then check / min raise the flop it sets off alarm bells, esp when we've shown so much strength by 5x'n and then pot betting the flop 3way

and don't forget this is a DYM
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: DYM early stages, how to play this?? : Hiya Prof, No offence taken at all mate. I enjoy reading the clinic, It's really interesting seeing how different people play the same hand. As this 1 played out I re raised hoping Dave would shove as I had him on an over pair.
    Posted by MrJoeBlogs
     Cheers Joe

Good play  mate though i must admit the limp then call pre then min raise of his pot bet would have me running for the fold button pronto. It looks like overpair or set time, doesn't it.
    Really don't think you gain by limping as when your 8 to 1 chance of hitting the set on flop doesn't come off then you could be up against a few others with almost anything and prb ahead with two pr on a random board. You may have to waste chips in finding out and give up the pot.