You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

My ambition to earn enough to get my own place and live on playing poker

edited January 2013 in Poker Chat
A serious question how much do u think i would need to get my own place to rent and live on playing poker i know we all have bad months etc so wanna try n get  a fair bit before i do this i wanted to move out by summer time  or get my own place by the begining of next year something i have always wanted to do

so what would u say is a good start of point

Comments

• edited January 2013
    this is gonna be a good diary
    good stating point,having a job helps
  • edited January 2013
    Whatever figure you have in mind.... add a "0" or two to it.
  • edited January 2013
    To be honest you shouldn't even be thinking about doing this. Judging by some of your posts and the s* *t you occasionally write in the chat, your mindset and mental approach to the game is no where near what it needs to be imo.

Get a job.

If you want to play pokers for a living then why would you want to move out? 
    Stay at home as long as possible and live as cheaply as possible!
    Am I right in thinking your an MTT player? I can guarantee there is not one player on this site you makes there living solely from MTT's on SKY. It's just not achievable. So you would either have to multi site MTT's and be putting a tonne of volume in or transition to cash or STT's.

Which would you choose and what level would you want to go in at?

• edited January 2013
    Better still, think of a figure, add a zero to it, and multiply by 2. Then think, stuff it, i'll live with my mum till i win my 1st EPT !
  • edited January 2013
    ya right curt in what ya say stay at home cheaply as i can n try n win some more money i am mainly a mtt player dabble in cash now n then
  • edited January 2013
    Hi. 

Good luck first of all. Bankroll is obvious and there is plenty to read up on and find out what you need for the level you will play. I would just like to say you need to factor in what lifestyle you want. What would you be happy to live off per week and what you want from it? Car? Holidays? Just be reasonable and happy with your goals and be in a position where you dont play scared or stressed.

Craig. 
  • edited January 2013
    well im a heater atm i know i will hit a brick wall soon thoi am earning more then i would if i was working so why would i work i have put alot of work in my game the last 2 years watching alot of poker reading magazines etc and reading forums i have been playing for nearly 10 years now n finally the hard lomg hrs are paying of
  • edited January 2013
    Hmm, you all say it'll cost more but he's on benefits.

Surely he'd be able to claim housing/council tax benefit whereas at the moment I'm assuming he pays lodgings out of his actual benefit money (as you need a tenancy agreement to claim)??
  • edited January 2013
    i wouldnt do this unless i get to 5 figures even this i think is not enuff its more of a dream then reality but ya never know a big mtt bink and win some more monies on grinding hard 10 hrs a day i could get there
  • edited January 2013
    i dont claim any benefits
  • edited January 2013
    alright donk....if you can make 1.5k a month like you have been doing recently, stay at home.

I'm not sure how much lodge you pay at home but surely by staying there for a year or two whilst maintaining or increasing your winrate you can be quids in and make your decision then.

fwiw, I agree with curt about your mindset. There is no doubt you're a good player but how many times have you built up a roll and spewed it off in a matter of days??? If you did that whilst living on your own and relying on the money then you would be out on your ear.

If you really want to move out....get a job
  • edited January 2013
    Hmm, well you live down south don't you? so these estimates may be off but:

Rent ; 400/month
    Council Tax; 90/month
    Leccy/Gas: 50/month
    Food 100/month PLUS MORE (Believe me)

PS You really should claim Jobseekers as you're entitled to it and it really does offer great support in finding a job these days under the ******* tories (pretty much at knifepoint)
  • edited January 2013
    waller im diff now trust me im changed i dont do spew now most i play is 50 nl and thats now n then since i lost my money on the roullete i have changed learn by ya mistakes right and i have i dnt take shots anymore biggest mtt i play is £11 unless i sattelite into a main event my whole mindset has changed
  • edited January 2013
    well it's easy to think the way you are in the middle of a heater...all im saying m8

gl whatever you do
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: My ambition to earn enough to get my own place and live on playing poker:
    waller im diff now trust me im changed i dont do spew now most i play is 50 nl and thats now n then since i lost my money on the roullete i have changed learn by ya mistakes right and i have i dnt take shots anymore biggest mtt i play is £11 unless i sattelite into a main event my whole mindset has changed
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    And thats was pretty much only a few months ago. You should really be waiting til you've got a good sample of results that show you winning consistently before thinking of this imo. 
  • edited January 2013
    hi steve,
    keep building your b/roll up and playing inside it and you'll be fine.
    doesn't matter how good a player u r if u can't keep hold of the money.
    you will know when u have enough to do all the things u want.
    gl buddy
    :)
    dev
  • edited January 2013
    Sole income, with plans to have your own place/rent/expenses, you need about £30k in backup and a minimum of a £15k roll for NL50 (300 buyins). 

Even with those numbers, expect to have to hit (and subsequently top up) your backup pot occasionally.

This is not particularly conservative, and is subject to local rental costs/how much you spend on entertainment/other random costs which can exceed 200/mo. The general rule is 18 months living costs in backup, and 300+ bi to your regular game.
  • edited January 2013
    tnx for ya reply coxy more then what i thought lol i was thinking 10-15k be enough i am no where near that btw well of it but u never know a few binks in mtts n grinding away well i lived in a house with my ex and we was both working full time and end of month had like 600 btweeen us to last us the month and we was on 3k between us a month so i know how hard it can be

pretty much i have to put more hrs in and try n win more lol
  • edited January 2013
    be a part time poker pro, why dont you have a job donk?
  • edited January 2013
    Think coxy's numbers are on the conservative side.

I'd say a total roll of 25k is more than enough, with having 10k of it in play and 15 as a secure back up.

You could prob do it with less if you are in a position to moved back in with family at short notice.

But yeah there are so many poker 'pros' who can only exist as a poker 'pro' because they live in a family home with minimal housing costs.  Things get a whole lot different when you have to find between 1500/2k a month just to stand still roll wise.

My advise is to just grind grind grind and keep learning while you have the cheapest possible living expenses.
  • edited January 2013
    ok scotty tnx for your advice like i say i been on a heater in last 3 months so i see how i do down the line after 1-2 years down the line just wanted a rough idea on the target i need to get 2
  • edited January 2013
    stay at home
    pursue a career
    play part time poker

enjoy your winnings or build your roll withuot the added pressure of living off your winnings or back up living costs br

your still young, you have loads of time to move through the levels

it's great to have a choice if you want to withdraw some of your br and enjoy your winnings or move up - trust me )

TommyD is a great example of having a career/home life & win money at poker
  • edited January 2013

1) Most "pros" arnt genuine pros.

2) Dont go pro if you are not making a ton of money.

3) After a while you will get fed up and play badly most of time. So you need to be good enough to beat the games when you are playing badly.

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: My ambition to earn enough to get my own place and live on playing poker:
    ok scotty tnx for your advice like i say i been on a heater in last 3 months so i see how i do down the line after 1-2 years down the line just wanted a rough idea on the target i need to get 2
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    I've enjoyed reading a number of threads in the time I've been on here!
    I've railed several players on numerous occasions, all have been on heaters just like you're experiencing but the reason they are in profit is discipline and being multi dimensional.
    Do you think you can adapt your game when the novelty has gone, and you become predictable?
    Scotty77 was on a purple patch before he made the Viva Las Vegas but then appeared to be on a cooler for a while afterwards. Glitterbabe was taking down MTT after MTT as well as crushing the cash tables but like Scotty appeared to go on a downswing.
    But they learnt from their experiences, adapted and are back at the top of their game.
    Have you got the discipline to put ego to one side and change weaknesses into strengths?
    I truly hope you succeed! but three months on a heater compared to ten years as a loser only illustrates how complex this wonderful game can be!
    Why don't you set personal targets for the year and if you achieve them then consider giving up the day job?
  • edited January 2013
    Hi IDCU

No offence mate but this idea is mad. You've had a very stressful time of late with your father's passing and the pressures of poker are enough without the idea that you MUST win in order to maintain your rent. Do yourself a favour and just allow yourself the chance to continue to play a game you obviously love without burdening yourself with unnecessary stress.
    I know its up to you but why not just think of a diary target and give yourself a goal which you can either fulfill or fail at without pressure.

PS I've just read all the posts through after writing the above and the majority are from the same people who tried to give you advice to follow after your roulette escapade Steve. These people do care for you but i for one am worried that you are walking before you can run. Take advantage of cheap living rates, build your roll and learn the game more in less stressful conditions. I hope you're listening mate because scrounging round for cash is no nice thing.
  • edited January 2013

Yes like others have sais mate its upto you at the end of the day but you have done well in the last few months on here.  Why not build on that bankroll from home rather than have pressures to meet targets on your mind.  You definately need to get a proper grind set up rather than playing of your laptop.  This is the monitor i got  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-S240HLbid-widescreen-monitor-Backlight/dp/B005QVZ79C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357604942&sr=8-1.  Really happy with this monitor can 6 table on it and have the sky poker tv channell or something like that at the bottom aswell.

There is simply not enough mtts on here for you to make a living of mtts on here.  The stable i am in the 6 guys probly average around 20 tournaments daily and there varience can be crazy with it.  If you want to make a living of poker on sky alone then you need to play cash 50nl for example and at least you can earn around £1200 in rakeback aswell as hopefully profits from your games.  

But yea i feel the most important thing for you at the moment is getting a proper grind set up and play from home with no pressures.

• edited January 2013
    Thanks proffman and your rightthe last few weeks has been really stressfull on me and the family been hard to deal with just wanna escape from it all tbh

shoulda thought things through before the post i wanted a poker pro to comment that lives in there own place and plays poker for a living and the comments of coxy and scotty has brought be bk down to reality saying i would need 20 k lol

i love poker i watch it most of the day always talking about poker im poker mad haha loved the game ever since a m8 of mine taught me how to play in 2001

im  1 of the lucky guys atm who doesnt need a job and lives home with my mum so i can play poker for a living and aslong mum gets her rent money shes happy for me to play poker shes very supportive on what i do as she belives i can go to the next level so i am happy what

i do now make money on a game i love for me it beats most jobs ive had because i hated them lol so i will continue in what i am doing playing mtts and grinding away hate the word grinding sounds like its hard work when really it isnt i happily play poker 8 hrs a day

tbh its a thing i would like to happen maybe not now but in years to come
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks proffman and your rightthe last few weeks has been really stressfull on me and the family been hard to deal with just wanna escape from it all tbh  shoulda thought things through before the post i wanted a poker pro to comment that lives in there own place and plays poker for a living and the comments of coxy and scotty has brought be bk down to reality saying i would need 20 k lol i love poker i watch it most of the day always talking about poker im poker mad haha loved the game ever since a m8 of mine taught me how to play in 2001 im  1 of the lucky guys atm who doesnt need a job and lives home with my mum so i can play poker for a living and aslong mum gets her rent money shes happy for me to play poker shes very supportive on what i do as she belives i can go to the next level so i am happy what i do now make money on a game i love for me it beats most jobs ive had because i hated them lol so i will continue in what i am doing playing mtts and grinding away hate the word grinding sounds like its hard work when really it isnt i happily play poker 8 hrs a day tbh its a thing i would like to happen maybe not now but in years to come
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    contact GA they might be able to help
  • edited January 2013
    Sole income, with plans to have your own place/rent/expenses, you need about £30k in backup and a minimum of a £15k roll for NL50 (300 buyins).  Even with those numbers, expect to have to hit (and subsequently top up) your backup pot occasionally. This is not particularly conservative, and is subject to local rental costs/how much you spend on entertainment/other random costs which can exceed 200/mo. The general rule is 18 months living costs in backup, and 300+ bi to your regular game.
    Posted by CoxyLboro
    Like it
  • edited January 2013
    A very good player will make profits nearly every month if they play enough, so if your rakeback is as much or more than your entire months expense then your in good shape. So really you need to be making a minimum of £1-£1.2k rake a month and all your profits are then your spending money. I don't think you play high enough levels or the right games to do this.

You also want a years bills in the bank to fall back on, so again around 12k stashed safely in your bank account.

Your better off staying where you are saving saving saving, if your as good as you think you are you will be able to buy a house outright and not have to worry about rent/mortage.