You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hand for discussion

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance?Small blind £0.02£0.02£2.09?Big blind £0.04£0.06£1.90 Your hole cardsK8   gaga87Raise £0.12£0.18£9.25villainRaise £0.20£0.38£1.73?Fold    ?Call £0.16£0.54£1.74gaga87Call £0.08£0.62£9.17Flop  8K2   ?Check    gaga87Bet £0.31£0.93£8.86villainAll-in £1.73£2.66£0.00?Fold    gaga87Call £1.42£4.08£7.44gaga87ShowK8   villainShowKA   Turn  J   River  2   gaga87WinTwo Pairs, Kings and 8s£3.77 £11.21

Hi guys long time no speak. 

So i have just been playing and this hand comes up. I pick up k 8 suited and decide to raise 12p. Villain pops it up to 20p costing me 8 p to call. The bb has called so the pot swells to 54 p so to me it seems worth calling to see the flop. Primarely hoping to hit a flush. If i miss im gona let go to any big raise. So the flop comes 8 k 2 rainbow. bb checks i raise about half the pot and villain reraises all in. I think with top two pair on a rainbow board this is a good call.

A discussion started between villain and i after this hand with the villain claiming i would never make this play in a live game because the preflop action should have told me they had A K. 

My response was that if they had made a decent raise maybe i would have been more cautious of what they may be holding, but to me the raise looked a little weak.

I myself havent played live other than little home games. but to anyone who does would you agree with this?

Personally i think i played the hand pretty well and would have played it the same in live play.

Comments

• edited January 2013
    fold pre
    fold to raise

a/p

c/c flop - think about how you goin to get it in

-pre-

u call to get lucky, if you think 3 bet is weak then 4 bet
    calling like this will cost you more money in the long run unless you can fold K high flops and not pay too much when you are drawing on the flop....

• edited January 2013
    im not really a fan of a k8s open tbh its a pretty junk hand, having said that once the tiny 3bet from the villian comes in i think you are valued in to see a flop. If villian thinks that it is obvious he has ak he should be happy you called with a dominated hand when he made his holding "obvious"
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Hand for discussion:
    im not really a fan of a k8s open tbh its a pretty junk hand, having said that once the tiny 3bet from the villian comes in i think you are valued in to see a flop. If villian thinks that it is obvious he has ak he should be happy you called with a dominated hand when he made his holding "obvious"
    Posted by jams88
    This is what i tried to explain to them that the 3 was too small and that i had value to atleast see a flop. Just happened to work in my favour, and taking their stack size into acount i was very prepared to go all in.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Hand for discussion:
    In Response to Re: Hand for discussion : This is what i tried to explain to them that the 3 was too small and that i had value to atleast see a flop. Just happened to work in my favour, and taking their stack size into acount i was very prepared to go all in.
    Posted by gaga87
    What do you need to flop to make the call worthwhile

raising 3x with these kind of hands in early postions and then calling a 3 bet is setting fire to money
  • edited January 2013

100% Fold PF, your OOP with a junk hand, keep opening these hands from these positions will be setting fire to money in the long run! Guess once villian as made pretty pathetic 3 bet and call from the blinds you are priced in to try and hit some kind of flush, 2 pair type hand. Check call flop, check raise all in turn. Dont be results orientated you got lucky this time.