You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Would you call here? Opinions please.

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Im new to the table and I do not know the villain.  I think my preflop play is fine, aswell as my lead on the flop (although maybe lead out could have been slightly smaller to avoid inflating the pot).  Just wondering whether or not I should be calling here?  I wont tell you what happened until people have given their opinions...  Just thought this was an interesting spot, and one that I could ask peoples opinions on in my first Poker Clinic hand post. :)
1 Small blind   15.00 15.00 1517.50
villain Big blind   30.00 45.00 2465.00
  Your hole cards

2 Fold        
gazza127 Raise   120.00 165.00 2415.00
3 Call   120.00 285.00 1742.50
4 Fold        
Call   105.00 390.00 1412.50
villain Call   90.00 480.00 2375.00
Flop

1 Check        
villain Check        
gazza127 Bet   480.00 960.00 1935.00
3 Call   480.00 1440.00 1262.50
Fold        
villain All-in   2375.00 3815.00 0.00
gazza127

Comments

• edited January 2013
    I'm not overly keen on the 4x pre-flop but in the early stages it's alright as long as your range is balanced. I'd prefer making it 3x. If someone 3-bets you after the 4x raise, what's the plan? Any 3-better will have come over the top of an abnormally large raise and that usually weights their range towards the premium hands. It's a shame to be folding TT to a 3-bet, though.

On the flop I don't like c-betting full-pot. This is making our hand pretty transparent in my opinion as it looks like we're afraid to allow a cheap card but have a hand of value that we're not going to fold (So we're very likely to have an overpair). A two-third-pot or three-quarter-pot bet gives the illusion of fold equity, potentially gaining us extra value from weaker pairs. This would be more important an issue with the full-pot bet on a board with either a straight or flush draw, not both as on this board. Here, if they've got a made hand they're probably going to talk themselves into thinking we have one of the many, many possible draws. It's still relevant, though.

When you make the c-bet you've got to be expecting a shove alot of the time because so many draws are out there. Both made hands and draws will shove. You have the top end of the straight draw and you've got an overpair so you're definitely ahead of alot of the shovers range. The caller between the two of you is a concern as they should be committed but it's not enough to indicate you're behind. C-betting so big with the intention of folding a strong hand with extensions would be a bad flaw in your thought process. Got to get it in now.
  • edited January 2013
    fold he has 10 j clubs,the villan checks,as he is expecting a c-bet from the intial raiser,when you come out so strong he puts you on an over pair or poss set,so he shoves expecting you to call,i would think you would have to have some prior knowledge of the villan to call,then there is also player 1 to act.

so u fold player 1 calls, villan shows 10 j clubs,

if only carlsberg done poker
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks for the input.  I had realised that betting the pot does effectively show that I have a made hand, but i was keen to take down the there and then with the number of draws out there.  I now know that 3/4 betting there can show better FE but, considering villains draws it is likely to be a shove anyway. Looking at my 10s at the time, I was confident that the straight was well blocked and was unlikely to be facing 10J or 10Q.  I put the villain on jQclubs or JKclubs and convinced myself that I was ahead and priced in.  So you can guess that I found a call in this spot.  Player 1 then folds.  I turn over my 1010.  He turns over J10, not clubs.  Oops.  I suppose a smaller bet on the flop and im much less likely to get in in and risk my tourny over a smaller pot.  Need to work on my pot sizing to avoid spots like this.  Found it too difficult to fold having to pay 1.9k to win the 3.8k already in the pot with an over pair, and up and down straight draw...
  • edited January 2013
    Hi Gazza

I think your 4x bb is fine. There aren't any short stacks so no need to worry about AI's for size reasons. You are new to the table so an unknown force as it were. You have opened from mp so perhaps players expect high cards from you. The flop is lovely for you, isn't it. OESD to the nut str8 and overpair to the board.
    You bet though full pot would not be my choice tbh,(maybe 2/3), get a call probably from a drawing hand and the a rer AI with a very big bet. Some would look at this as a weak play to push people away but the pot is probably big enough already. It is early and you will get players looking to double up early as part of their strategy to bully. I don't know here but i suspect he has a made hand and is strong. He may have a set or maybe two pair. He could even have the flush draw. However you have a made hand and with 10 outs at least to improve to a winning hand not incl runner runner situ's. This should give you about 40% equity in the pot and the pots odds are better than this even without the player behind calling.
    I think that i'd rer ai and wouldn't mind if i got the other player to call too.
    Sometimes your tournament is made by such a hand. To my mind this is too good a spot not to reraise all-in.
  • edited January 2013
    So you don't wanna inflate pot on flop but you do pre

raise 3x pre

c/bet less

probs call it off, oppo got draw hopefully - u have draw + pr

o yeah then rebuy! is fine if fold, prefer lower sizing pre & on the flop though - u may just be flipping