You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

improving how i bet my hands

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic

raise pre, although open limping 33 at 4nl prob ain't too bad

raise flop, why didn't you?

raise the turn much bigger

do these and then jam river, as played i'd go alot closer to pot

Comments

• edited January 2013
    i decided to limp in preflop as all i wanted to see was a set or up down straight draw at the least
    from what i read in my last few post i sense that some of my pots could be so much bigger than they are and where the biggest mistake seems to lie is going from my flop bet into the turn
    vil1Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.32
    vil2Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.48
     Your hole cards

roadrunn14 Fold     
    CarolR Fold     
    craigcu12 Call  £0.04 £0.10 £4.51
    TINTIN Fold     
    vil1Call  £0.02 £0.12 £3.30
    vil2Check     
    Flop

vil 1Bet  £0.12 £0.24 £3.18
    vil 2Call  £0.12 £0.36 £4.36
    craigcu12 Call  £0.12 £0.48 £4.39
    Turn

vil1Bet  £0.12 £0.60 £3.06
    vil2Call  £0.12 £0.72 £4.24
    craigcu12 Raise  £0.28 £1.00 £4.11
    vil1Call  £0.16 £1.16 £2.90
    vil2Call  £0.16 £1.32 £4.08
    River

vil1Bet  £0.04 £1.36 £2.86
    vil2Fold     
    craigcu12 Raise  £0.74 £2.10 £3.37
    vil1Call  £0.70 £2.80 £2.16
    craigcu12 Show

vil1Muck

craigcu12 Win Full House, 3s and 2s £2.59  £5.96
    when i get hands like these post flop would it have been better to have did that turn bet as my flop bet and that river bet as my turn bet?
  • edited January 2013
    raise pre
    raise flop
    raise turn more
    love nl4

• edited January 2013
    When you see that flop the only thing you should be thinking is 'how can i get all my money in the pot'. Your two options are

a) raise
    b) call

which of those two options puts more money in the pot? Its that simple.

Your opponents were the winners in this hand because they should have lost more money but you let them off easy.
  • edited January 2013
    Yes raise pre if someone had limped before you its ok to limp behind here with a pair to setmine.  Yea raise the flop 3 way look at get it in.
  • edited January 2013
    Here's something that I heard recently which changed the way I play quite significantly. "Against a fish with a draw you get all your value on the flop and the turn". What this is saying is that on this flop for example 2d3s6s say "vil2" has A4o and they are a calling station. On the flop they will call any bet because in their mind any 5 or any ace is a win card for them. When they miss on the turn they still have one more go to hit the win card, so they will call any bet at all. On the river, when they miss again, They have ace-high and that's not going to change. All the luck in the world isn't going to give them an extra card to hit their straight so they have lost the hand. Only the very foolish will put any more money in the pot.

When you have a top pair or better hand against fish who don't fold. Get as much money as possible in the middle before the river, so that the river bet almost becomes a formality. Sometimes they will suck out on you but w/e most times they won't.
  • edited January 2013

Stop thinking so much when you don't need to, if you have a good hand, BET BIGGER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited January 2013

Prefer a raise PF but guess limping in with small pairs at 4nl is ok as players wont notice your limping small pairs, suited connectors etc and 4x your big hands but dont make this a bad habit when you move up stakes.
    Why do you call flop bet? should be raising here 100% of time somewhere in the region 45-50p.
    Turn check raise is far to small again whats the thinking behind this? By betting flop to 45-50p we can bet turn around £1 which then leaves around a pot size bet on river.

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: improving how i bet my hands:
    Stop thinking so much when you don't need to, if you have a good hand, BET BIGGER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    +1 to this