You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bans in poker

edited January 2013 in Poker Chat
 Hi peoples,

I've just watched ept final at monte carlo on tv and saw Elky Grospellier fling his cards at the dealer after losing a pot(oesd on flop...didn't hit). He gives a little hands up type "sorry it wasn't intentional"-type gesture but it most certainly was and done with vigour. We come back to find that he gets a one orbit ban. That is disgraceful imo. Lets have zero tolerance and be strong with expulsions or something otherwise the game will be in the gutter.
Its disgraceful that so called celebrities behave in this way and certainly accounts for the behaviour you see at some poker rooms live plus chat boxes on line.
Football has descended to pitiful levels and i'm so glad that my son does not get involved with weekend leagues as the behaviour both on the itch and sidelines is a reflection of the way our society sees so called 'successful, talented' people behaving atrociously so feel that they can copy them.
Why can't these people realise that they have a responsibility.

Ok rant over....deep breath taken and........RELAX!!!!!

Comments

• edited January 2013
    calm down a bit prof 

admire your passion but it happens

some people in life are to hot headed for there own good

he hasnt killed anybody
  • edited January 2013
    Yes we all chuck our toys out of the pram at sometime.
    Unfortunately he did it on TV.
  • edited January 2013
    Prof I think your overreacting a bit. I've seen far worse behaviour in a poker game that maybe does deserve a ban. It was disrespectful though.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Bans in poker:
    calm down a bit prof  admire your passion but it happens some people in life are to hot headed for there own good he hasnt killed anybody
    Posted by bugaloo
     True m8. it just seems to be something i'm seeing more and more.

Blood pressure back to normal now ty. TBh i find Tony G a good watch but he's trying to knock players off kilter and that's part of the game that other player's should understand. The dealer is providing cheat free cards....not on, imo. Why didn't he throw the cards at the other player? Probably because the dealer has a job to protect and had to restrain himself. The other player may have flung himself across the table to deliver an unmissable headbutt to Elkys eagle beak and a massive fight could have ensued. Great tv and all that would have happened was BOTH players would have had a one orbit ban. Simples!
     I don't agree with this "its understandable" society. Consequently, if the punishment isn't in proportion to the action committed then it will go on regardless. Yes, i agree, Bugaloo and you see more of it than i do no doubt but i'm stll not ok with it and feel its up to the owers to make stricter rules in order to cut it out.
  • edited January 2013
    there are lots of things in life that are not right

this would be about second bottom in the list of importance for me

• edited January 2013
    I think the punishment was fair enough here.

I'd personally like to see orbit bans also dished out to players who berate other players play at the table.

• edited January 2013
    Bit of an overreaction me thinks> Don't get me wrong, totally unacceptable, but throwing him out of the tourn? Hmm. Elky seems like a decent person, he was obviously running bad, maybe not playing well and got a bit frustarted, he apologised straight away, got an orbit ban and that should be the end of it imo.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Bans in poker:
    Bit of an overreaction me thinks /> Don't get me wrong, totally unacceptable, but throwing him out of the tourn? Hmm. Elky seems like a decent person, he was obviously running bad, maybe not playing well and got a bit frustarted, he apologised straight away, got an orbit ban and that should be the end of it imo.
    Posted by ididit14
    Elky? Running bad?
  • edited January 2013
    Haha, I was shocked as well
  • edited January 2013
    Imagine if they did the same thing in football for every time someone kicked a ball away, angry gestured at a linesman (sorry, referee's assistant), etc. There'd be no one available to play in the Premier League by the close of the season!

As an aside/brag, I have met and chatted to ElkY quite a few times (probably my best ever interview as a journo) and he's a very, very nice guy. An incredibly friendly, smart and entertaining guy to be around.