You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Underground in New York

edited January 2013 in Poker Chat
HI guys

Did anyone else see the tv programme last night on National Geographic channel. What did you think of it?

Personally i was a little disappointed in it as it seemed to be shot a bit like a drama documentary with extra shots being filmed to liven it up. TBh, i found it rather sad as people were taking advantage of others from so many directions. Yes, they make a choice to play but some don't have an option as they are in debt too. It was a grimy scene and i didn't see any glamour or excitement in it whatsoever.

Bearly, you mentioned that you took part in clandestine games like this. I just don't see the buzz factor, myself. I see the fear factor. I'd even be fearful of winning cash in these games. Not for me certainly but i can understand that people have some deep seated need to involve themselves in the likes of this.

Lets hope we don't turn into Mr 'MUSH', the guy who is forever losing then winning a bit but tied into the game because of his debt and his own needy, addicted nature. He sees that big win in the distance.......it just never arrives.

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Thought it was total dross.
    Exactly the sort of thing people watch and then think you're a total moron when you mention you play poker.
  • edited January 2013
    Hi prof i did record this programme last night in my sky+ planner and il watch it later on tonight to see if it was any different from the underground games i used to go to in America.
  • edited January 2013
    Just after watching it and i would not have liked to be involved in that game with those gangsters!  The game i played in was totally different very much relaxed atmosphere and i couldnt say a bad word about any of the guys and still keep in contact with them from time to time.  The standard of play at these under ground games is horrific to say the least!  You would see loads of family pots noone liked to fold.  You saw the guy on that programme who went ballistic when he lost with 63 after flopping 2 pair on the flop but he didnt even notice he played it bad by calling the 3 bet with 63 lol.

Then there was the guy who said at the start of the game he always says to 1 of the players what was the score in the football game tonight so that then he asks them later on in the game wheather they have a jack or not he will know if there bluffing by their tone of voice rofl.  The way all these guys talk you can tell they are playing high stakes but literally have no idea what they are doing and think they are awesome trying to pick up a read by the way someone moved their hand lol.
  • edited January 2013
    Absoulte nonsense.

Oh I'm really worried about the cops turning up and busting our games, oh hi there TV cameras lets show my face and those of my players.

• edited January 2013
    i play in three different private games and have done for a long time

why?

the standard is awful

there is lots of money floating around

sometimes a character you may not like or may not be pleasant joins the games this is the downside

• edited January 2013
    Agree with everything that has been said so far.

It was rubbish. So much seemed to be staged and the way it was edited made it really hard to follow.

I've got a friend who plays in a couple of games in New York and the way he describes them they're nothing like this.

Yes you may get the odd slightly dodgy character but it's in the best interests of the games that everybody feels safe.

• edited January 2013
    Yea guys

Seems like we all agree. I was really looking forward to it too. Agree with you B over the 6,3 guy too. Isn't it funny the way they all the make on ach other at the table. It didn't give a good impression of the game whatsoever. BTW that guy was called Breezy and was in a pot and got complimented with "he knows everything" or something stupid. The cards went too quick so i slowed the picture down. He had the king high flush draw by the Turn so no wonder he was betting!
    Mind i think i may have my name changed to MUSH, the character with the 6,3 who called the three bet....lol!
    Are there good docu's on poker on youtube? Anyone?
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Underground in New York:
    Are there good docu's on poker on youtube? Anyone?
    Posted by profman15
    A good documentary you you definately watch profman is called 2 months 2 million were a group of 5 poker pros go to las vegas for the summer to try and make 2 million dollars online in a villa.  There is like 12 episodes definately worth a watch
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Underground in New York : A good documentary you you definately watch profman is called 2 months 2 million were a group of 5 poker pros go to las vegas for the summer to try and make 1 million dollars online in a villa.  There is like 12 episodes definately worth a watch
    Posted by bearlyther
     Briill B...on youtube?
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Underground in New York :  Briill B...on youtube?
    Posted by profman15
    Heres part 1 and 2 of episode 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rk-oR8lADo   

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Underground in New York : Heres part 1 and 2 of episode 1  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rk-oR8lADo    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=JdR30kpL2Yw
    Posted by bearlyther
    Seen 2 months 2 million quite awhile ago.  Are there anymore shows out there like this?  

Looking for some good poker viewing.  (On the side of 861 of course)