You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Best/most underestimated small stakes MTT player?

edited January 2013 in Poker Chat
In Response to Re: Best/most underestimated small stakes MTT player?:
In Response to Re: Best/most underestimated small stakes MTT player? : Great stats, that's better than at least 95% players in your games. However I can give you some valuable advice based on those stats alone, without watching you play a single hand; An ITM rate of 41% is way too high. If your ITM dropped your ROI would rise. Why? It means you're much better at making min-cashes than you are at winning tournaments. A more risk-averse style will mean you'll cash less often, but it will also create more of those crucial 1st/2nd/3rd place finishes that bring in the really big bucks. You need to loosen up and take more of those marginal spots that may propel you to a position of strength at the top of the field at the risk of busting. It means you'll cash less often, but that's a small price to pay for some precious first places. I've just scoped an MTT shark who plays on Sky (the first name I picked, he's well known but it would be discourteous to name him). His stats are; ITM 21% ROI 102%, and his average stake is 20x higher than yours. Hopefully those numbers illustrate my point!
Posted by GaryQQQ
Hi Gary,

Thanks for that and I am actually addressing this. After reading through your £51-£1051 Ive slightly adjusting my tactics. Im still going to play the same way for most parts but I actually do think its important to cash (not to detriment of trying to take advantage of certain spots if you can or busting out) but around the bubble I still think you should be aware but from there i am definatley going to apply more pressure and just go for first. I do have a tendancy to want to get my chips in first instead of calling off with marginal hands.

Through my seven years of playing poker I have been a constant winner. I did used to play higher and had some great success (biggest win was almost $2000 and I had some other big wins) but since I had to change job and money became a lot tighter (my gf lost hers so had to live off my bank roll until she got another) Ive had to play with a nominal bank roll and play to that which is frustrating as i would love to move up again but you have to play to your bank roll and not play scared.

Im proud that with my first £80 deposit I have never topped up and took over £3000 in three and a half years on Sky Poker. I owe a lot down to (anyone remember or watch this?) Poker Night Live as they taught me so so much and my only gripe about Skys poker show is they take hands in isolation, Poker Night Live used to show STT from start to finish and I found them fasinating watching the cards, situations, way people played etc evolve through to its conclusion.

Sorry for the babble! Bye!

Comments

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Best/most underestimated small stakes MTT player? : Hi Gary, Thanks for that and I am actually addressing this. After reading through your £51-£1051 Ive slightly adjusting my tactics. Im still going to play the same way for most parts but I actually do think its important to cash (not to detriment of trying to take advantage of certain spots if you can or busting out) but around the bubble I still think you should be aware but from there i am definatley going to apply more pressure and just go for first. I do have a tendancy to want to get my chips in first instead of calling off with marginal hands. Through my seven years of playing poker I have been a constant winner. I did used to play higher and had some great success (biggest win was almost $2000 and I had some other big wins) but since I had to change job and money became a lot tighter (my gf lost hers so had to live off my bank roll until she got another) Ive had to play with a nominal bank roll and play to that which is frustrating as i would love to move up again but you have to play to your bank roll and not play scared. Im proud that with my first £80 deposit I have never topped up and took over £3000 in three and a half years on Sky Poker. I owe a lot down to (anyone remember or watch this?) Poker Night Live as they taught me so so much and my only gripe about Skys poker show is they take hands in isolation, Poker Night Live used to show STT from start to finish and I found them fasinating watching the cards, situations, way people played etc evolve through to its conclusion. Sorry for the babble! Bye!
    Posted by CraigSG1
  • edited January 2013
    I will close the thread with this........find a better low stakes player if you can zxghostxz
    Posted by waller02
    Massively impressive player soooo consistent.

Don't know if I still qualify as a low stakes player as I play higher occaisionally, but I believe I'm one of the better ones if I do.
  • edited January 2013
    thanks for kind words above, MTT wise I play all mini's and upto £5 - sometimes I play higher but it's only when I'am drunk and fancy a shot

Really should play more sats but they run at awkward times for me and I can't play them.
    Suffice to say I have had a few binks and remian in profit - thanks )
    Like a lot of people just waiting for the next bink, MTT's are seriously gross in variance.

Some players have been mentioned like Samantha25 who has got good game.
    A lot of others that have really good 20-30 bb stacks game.
    Not too sure if they are low stakes anymore but..
    sorry if some name ain't right.. 3 names spring to mind
    MRBURNS54
    Bearproof
    Syklist

Still think GaryQQQ has a great game and approach and deserves number one spot

Saying that we normally only give credit to recent success but names will be forgotten who probbaly have better MTT games than the current heater players. Just a case of varaiance paying who it wants )

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Best/most underestimated small stakes MTT player? : Hi Gary, Thanks for that and I am actually addressing this. After reading through your £51-£1051 Ive slightly adjusting my tactics. Im still going to play the same way for most parts but I actually do think its important to cash (not to detriment of trying to take advantage of certain spots if you can or busting out) but around the bubble I still think you should be aware but from there i am definatley going to apply more pressure and just go for first. I do have a tendancy to want to get my chips in first instead of calling off with marginal hands. Through my seven years of playing poker I have been a constant winner. I did used to play higher and had some great success (biggest win was almost $2000 and I had some other big wins) but since I had to change job and money became a lot tighter (my gf lost hers so had to live off my bank roll until she got another) Ive had to play with a nominal bank roll and play to that which is frustrating as i would love to move up again but you have to play to your bank roll and not play scared. Im proud that with my first £80 deposit I have never topped up and took over £3000 in three and a half years on Sky Poker. I owe a lot down to (anyone remember or watch this?) Poker Night Live as they taught me so so much and my only gripe about Skys poker show is they take hands in isolation, Poker Night Live used to show STT from start to finish and I found them fasinating watching the cards, situations, way people played etc evolve through to its conclusion. Sorry for the babble! Bye!
    Posted by CraigSG1
    That's superb achievement and I can understand why your circumstances make a min-cash meaningful. The last thing I'm trying to do is question your great record in my post, it's just that I see the potential for you to earn an even higher ROI than you do already.
  • edited January 2013
    I'm flattered by my mentions here, but I reckon there are many others just as good or better than me out there.

I rarely play in the evening, so I haven't played with a lot of the best regs, but these names spring to mind as people I'm never happy to see at my morning/afternoon tables;

Samantha25, she used to be a regular in the same Bounty Hunters as me, was always a tough opponent, though I haven't seen her much lately

BearProof/MrBurns4/SuperSnedd, these guys still turn up at the lower stakes sometimes, it's a bad table draw if you're sat with one of these guys

Wacko90 was always a nightmare, though I don't think I've seen him play below £11 buy-ins lately

Lea116311 I'm biased because she's my other half, but she's greatly improved and had a great 2012. She has a great record in forum events like the DTD and Orfordable. I arrived home from work yesterday just in time to see Lea win the 9-45am Bounty Hunter. I'm not even sure that I'm the best MTT player in this house any more.

There are probably many other names that I've forgotten.

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Best/most underestimated small stakes MTT player? : Great stats, that's better than at least 95% players in your games. However I can give you some valuable advice based on those stats alone, without watching you play a single hand; An ITM rate of 41% is way too high. If your ITM dropped your ROI would rise. Why? It means you're much better at making min-cashes than you are at winning tournaments. A more risk-averse style will mean you'll cash less often, but it will also create more of those crucial 1st/2nd/3rd place finishes that bring in the really big bucks. You need to loosen up and take more of those marginal spots that may propel you to a position of strength at the top of the field at the risk of busting. It means you'll cash less often, but that's a small price to pay for some precious first places. I've just scoped an MTT shark who plays on Sky (the first name I picked, he's well known but it would be discourteous to name him). His stats are; ITM 21% ROI 102%, and his average stake is 20x higher than yours. Hopefully those numbers illustrate my point!
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    2100 game sample size. For me, the ITM figure is almost meaningless
  • edited January 2013
    thanks for kind words above, MTT wise I play all mini's and upto £5 - sometimes I play higher but it's only when I'am drunk and fancy a shot Really should play more sats but they run at awkward times for me and I can't play them. Suffice to say I have had a few binks and remian in profit - thanks ) Like a lot of people just waiting for the next bink, MTT's are seriously gross in variance. Some players have been mentioned like Samantha25 who has got good game. A lot of others that have really good 20-30 bb stacks game. Not too sure if they are low stakes anymore but.. sorry if some name ain't right.. 3 names spring to mind MRBURNS54 Bearproof Syklist Still think GaryQQQ has a great game and approach and deserves number one spot Saying that we normally only give credit to recent success but names will be forgotten who probbaly have better MTT games than the current heater players. Just a case of varaiance paying who it wants )
    Posted by rancid
    I presume you mean MrBurns4 but I certainly wouldn't describe him as small stakes and I don't think he ever has been but he is one that I rate. 1 player I always rated and when I scoped him had a very impressive ROI was Irish Rover.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Best/most underestimated small stakes MTT player? : I presume you mean MrBurns4 but I certainly wouldn't describe him as small stakes and I don't think he ever has been but he is one that I rate. 1 player I always rated and when I scoped him had a very impressive ROI was Irish Rover.
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    What is a good roi I don't really understand it to be honest. Should my ROI be high or low. Just so as I know what to aim for.
    My roi is 60-70 ish on sharkscope but don't seem to know if i'm doing ok, bad, or good. I do know I still have to go to work every day so I guess I have answered my own question.  
    Thanks for your help

snorky
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Best/most underestimated small stakes MTT player? : What is a good roi I don't really understand it to be honest. Should my ROI be high or low. Just so as I know what to aim for. My roi is 60-70 ish on sharkscope but don't seem to know if i'm doing ok, bad, or good. I do know I still have to go to work every day so I guess I have answered my own question.   Thanks for your help snorky
    Posted by snorky
    Anything in the positive is obviously good. Anything above 25% over a larger sample is superb for MTTs.
  • edited January 2013
    Plus dont forget that bounties are not tracked on scope.... your true ROI can be higher.
  • edited January 2013
    crazykaron gets my vote
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Best/most underestimated small stakes MTT player?:
    Who do you reckon is the best low-stakes MTT player on Sky Poker? I noticed from the  Forum Special competition  that samantha25 managed THREE final tables out of four legs. While the fields are in the 30-40 range, that's still pretty consistent! Any other names spring to mind?
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    When you put up a thread for the worst/unde rperformer could you please pm me?
    I think i'm in with a shout!!!!
  • edited January 2013
    I think cenachav deserves a mention too
  • edited January 2013
    crazykaron loooooooooooooooooooooooool 
  • edited January 2013
    crazykaron gets my vote
    Posted by bearlyther
    Are you joking????
  • edited January 2013
    My top 3 would go to -

1) garyQQQ
    2) rancid
    3) greghogg
  • edited January 2013
    I think cenachav deserves a mention too
    Posted by waller02
    Many thanks :)
  • edited January 2013
    I don't to play the DTDs very often these days, but those players who impressed me included

Eyeman (welcome back, see other thread)
    Pomfrittes
    GBUK
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Best/most underestimated small stakes MTT player? : I presume you mean MrBurns4 but I certainly wouldn't describe him as small stakes and I don't think he ever has been but he is one that I rate. 1 player I always rated and when I scoped him had a very impressive ROI was Irish Rover.
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    I was just thinking of irishrover the other day 1st person I added on my friend list on sky lol he done a lot for the community true gentleman but yeah his SS was very impressive if I remember rightly.
  • edited January 2013
    I don't to play the DTDs very often these days, but those players who impressed me included Eyeman (welcome back, see other thread) Pomfrittes GBUK
    Posted by FCHD

+1 to the welcome back eyeman obv.