You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

is a FH too great a risk to call my straight?

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
just limp pre

fold otf

turn fine

I think it's quite close on the river. his lead otr is kinda weird after you raised ott, J10/JK beat u but youre ahead of everything else so i just mehhhhhhhhhhhh and shove. #getdatvalue

Comments

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: is a FH too great a risk to call my straight?:
    just limp pre fold otf turn fine I think it's quite close on the river. his lead otr is kinda weird after you raised ott, J10/JK beat u but youre ahead of everything else so i just mehhhhhhhhhhhh and shove. #getdatvalue
    Posted by percival09
    what make the sense of a FH so likely myself is the fact he opens his bet on the flop what i thought to myself here is so many bets on micro stake table seem very unlikely to be done if it is only to represent a pair on the flop so i thought straight away he must have two pair or a set.
  • edited January 2013
    Does feel like J10 or KJ to me but im calling anyway. What did he have? Did you call or fold?
  • edited January 2013
    No info on 'x'.. would say he called PFR with j10... the 1/2 pot bets tell me he's either hit the flop and turn with J 10 or he's drawing to a str8 with Q10. The weak bet on the river suggests he wants you to go over the top with a raise and then jam you with a re-raise, so with a board like this and the way the betting has gone, I would flat call...He may only have 2 pair and may have had you on AQ (you did reraise the turn) hence the tentative betting...but there are several hands here that are beating you,
  • edited January 2013
    Yes you definately still gotta get it in here for the times that were still ahead here for when were behind makes it profitable to get in here everytime
  • edited January 2013

well i didn't shove on the river but still made the call and when you see the hand he had well it's no wonder hand reading is so hard

xShow
    • J

craigcu12 Muck

xWin Full House, Jacks and 7s £8.27  £11.49
    so i do a 3xbb yet he still likes a raggy J7o
  • edited January 2013
    well i didn't shove on the river but still made the call and when you see the hand he had well it's no wonder hand reading is so hard x Show J 7       craigcu12 Muck 8 9       x Win Full House, Jacks and 7s £8.27   £11.49 so i do a 3xbb yet he still likes a raggy J7o
    Posted by craigcu12
    lolololol this is jokes 
  • edited January 2013
    Your 3x is meaningless though with the 2 limps in front of you, Effectively you are asking him to call 10p to try to win a pot of 35p, the odds you give him are fantastic and he should be calling with a very wide range.

Imo you should be going 3x (sometimes 4x at low levels) with an extra 1x for every limper. So your raise pre should have been to  25p, which then means he has to call 20p to win 45p, much worse odds :)
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: is a FH too great a risk to call my straight? : lolololol this is jokes 
    Posted by loololollo
    you need to learn to improve your own game before coming out with these things
  • edited January 2013
    Your 3x is meaningless though with the 2 limps in front of you, Effectively you are asking him to call 10p to try to win a pot of 35p, the odds you give him are fantastic and he should be calling with a very wide range. Imo you should be going 3x (sometimes 4x at low levels) with an extra 1x for every limper. So your raise pre should have been to  25p, which then means he has to call 20p to win 45p, much worse odds :)
    Posted by Lambert180
    no point in raising in the first place
  • edited January 2013
    I agree with Lambert that your pre-flop raise wasn't big enough. 3x+1 per limper is pretty much the best guideline to follow. When we're more experienced we learn good opportunities to vary from this but 95% of the time, 3x+1 is best.

You must remember why you're making this bigger raise size, though. We don't necessarily want our opponents to always fold pre-flop but we want to force them to make difficult decisions. If they call, we can win a bigger pot on the flop with a c-bet and our position allows us to get away easily when we're behind. If we had a big hand like AA or KK, we'd want them to call a bigger raise than 15p anyway. It goes back to balancing our range, which I mentioned in the other thread. 

I don't agree with percival on this one and I like the raise. I think so much of the time we can either win the pot pre-flop or take it down with a c-bet on the flop that raising this situation is going to be very profitable. I also don't think that the implied odds of suited connectors and small pocket pairs are that great in unraised pots, so it's unlikely that we can build a big pot when we do flop big hands like sets, straights, etc if we overlimp... I would overlimp if we were in the blinds but on the button I think we can raise more profitably.

So I do raise it pre-flop in this situation and I'd make it about 25p, as Lambert says.

I don't hate c-betting this flop as our half-pot bet doesn't have to work that often (1/3 times) to break-even, as long as we recognise that this flop is not the best for us because it's likely that our opponents have something on it - Kx, Jx, QT type hands are all likely holdings for limp-callers. As I said in the other thread, though, your bet size can give your hand away. You advocated betting full-pot on that hand with AA yet on this hand with 9-high, you only bet half-pot. If your opponents notice this, you're in trouble.

On the turn I think you should raise a bit bigger. You want to be able to set him all-in on the river without it being an overbet, so raise the turn enough to make the effective stack size (the shorter stack) about the same as the pot. So in this case you can raise about 50p more on the turn. If he has a hand to pay you off, he'll either call or raise. If he folds then he wouldn't have paid you anymore anyway so don't worry about it.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: is a FH too great a risk to call my straight? : no point in raising in the first place
    Posted by percival09
    Agreed, but if we're gonna raise, then do it properly
  • edited January 2013
    borin what's the point in turning our hand into a bluff here? it's gtd to be multiway and we have a hand that flops well, and it gives us a chance to get paid off when we do hit rather than them just folding/us being in weird spots pf. it's certainly more +ev than raising imo, and if we do raise, i think we get into tricky spots unnecesserily

edit: i'd agree raising is better when we only have one opponent, but vs 2 i prefer limp
  • edited January 2013
    borin what's the point in turning our hand into a bluff here? it's gtd to be multiway and we have a hand that flops well, and it gives us a chance to get paid off when we do hit rather than them just folding/us being in weird spots pf. it's certainly more +ev than raising imo, and if we do raise, i think we get into tricky spots unnecesserily edit: i'd agree raising is better when we only have one opponent, but vs 2 i prefer limp
    Posted by percival09
    if i am going to limp i can never see myself getting much in the pot because all these villians seem to do is min bet even with good hands they just do 4p bets
  • edited January 2013
    Well, I don't think we are guaranteed to go multi-way if we raise. If we are called and see the flop multi-way, then it's not a problem: We play the pot in position and it's all easy for us. We need to know when to c-bet but we win more when we're right and we're much more likely to get paid when we hit than in a limped pot. Yes, I know people say it's micro-stakes and players don't fold but in my experience they don't often just call us down with random King-high or Queen-high hands.

I think it's overrated how often we'll get paid in a multi-way, limped pot when we flop big, even at these levels. It will happen occasionally but I think we make more in the long-run by taking control pre-flop and c-betting the flop.

We only get in tricky spots post-flop if we're unable to recognise when we're beat. If we can't let go of one-pair with a weak kicker then we have a problem in the game overall, never mind in these specific situations. If we can let go when we meet resistance there should really be no problem for us down the streets.
  • edited January 2013
    I like the raise pre and the sizing. If they have a good hand pre, they're not folding to a bigger raise. The purpose of our raise is just to increase the pot for when we flop well. Also having position is obv a big advantage. Like Borin said if we were oop (in the blinds) then just calling is going to be better.

As played, seems pretty standard bar flop which is probably a fold