You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HU cash: shallow

recently ive seen a few regs at the higher stakes of the site sitting for HU cash sessions with anywhere between 30-40 BB stacks. Not naming names but it would suffice to say these players are definately playing within their rolls so it must be for a reason...

So can anyone point out the strategy and benefits behind this?? any insight is more than welcome...

Comments

• edited November 2009
    In Response to HU cash: shallow:
    recently ive seen a few regs at the higher stakes of the site sitting for HU cash sessions with anywhere between 30-40 BB stacks. Not naming names but it would suffice to say these players are definately playing within their rolls so it must be for a reason... So can anyone point out the strategy and benefits behind this?? any insight is more than welcome...
    Posted by royal_hugo
    I guess they think they can 3b lighter cuz they think their opponent thinks that they'll be shoving wide on the flop, so he cant defend as light.

But it's easy to adjust to.

I think it's probably fish logic like "oh, can't lose as much" or w/e because most of them are terrible.

77House is the only good one.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: HU cash: shallow:
    In Response to HU cash: shallow : I guess they think they can 3b lighter cuz they think their opponent thinks that they'll be shoving wide on the flop, so he cant defend as light. But it's easy to adjust to. I think it's probably fish logic like "oh, can't lose as much" or w/e because most of them are terrible. 77House is the only good one.
    Posted by LadyFingrs
    yea i was thinking along those lines, but then they can be exploited by a four bet pre, they can hardly pass, and as for the flop action in a 3 bet pot it must go in pretty often because of these stacks...

how would you personally adjust to it? 1 thing i think would work is underplaying hands OOP and check raising flops, there cant be that much value in check calling a flop against a shorter stack as they prob wont barrel many turns at all.

gerrard9 does it too, what u think of his game?? seems pretty strong to me, he just killed two 6 max 1/2 tables for bout 2k total.

interested to know ur opinion...
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: HU cash: shallow : yea i was thinking along those lines, but then they can be exploited by a four bet pre, they can hardly pass, and as for the flop action in a 3 bet pot it must go in pretty often because of these stacks... how would you personally adjust to it? 1 thing i think would work is underplaying hands OOP and check raising flops, there cant be that much value in check calling a flop against a shorter stack as they prob wont barrel many turns at all. gerrard9 does it too, what u think of his game?? seems pretty strong to me, he just killed two 6 max 1/2 tables for bout 2k total. interested to know ur opinion...
    Posted by royal_hugo
    He's a strong 6m player, not played with him HU.

If im getting 3b rabidly, I start limping/min raising for like 20 hands, then start 3x-ing junk, cause they tend to think i've been waiting for a hand to 3x to draw a 3b from them. This tends to calm them down OOP. If that doesn't work I just defend lighter IP, and generally the min raise limits the size of thier 3b's to where we still have a decent amount behind.

It's hard to answer because they don't all play the same obv, and game-flow affects so much of the descisions you make, it impossible to set out a strategy to stick to from the word go.

Those are some general outlines as to how I play sick aggro 3betters.
  • edited November 2009
    both players? or just one? who was playing?
  • edited November 2009
    both players? or just one? who was playing?
    Posted by offshoot

No they were sitting individually ready to play, its just strong regulars sitting short stacked at precisely 30/40 BB stacks is something i have seen alot of on this site, u got any insight??

• edited November 2009
    there is only 10 players max that play hu at 1/2+ on this site, i think its to get lower stakes players to play at a higher level, if u see a player (not saying names) sitting with £120 on a 1/2 table then i sit with the max (£200) they will top up straight away.
  • edited November 2009
    yeah its just to induce action, makes them look fishier