You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

2million 2 months....NOT another SKY promotion.

edited January 2013 in Poker Chat
Hi guys,

I put a post up about a poker programme about cash games in New York recently and asked if anyone knew of any poker documentaries. Bearlythere was kind enough to suggest 2 million 2 months on YT.

Now, the new York poker doc was castigated by members of the forum, quite rightly so. This other documentary had 4 great cash players set up home in Las Vegas in order to win the above. It included Jay Rosenkrantz who it seems set up Deuces Cracked. I watched every one of ten episodes i found myself shaking my head in disbelief so many times. Yea they ran some silly charity event but overall i couldn't believe the complete disregard that they had for the value of money an example of which was  Rosenkrantz going from $200,000 down to $150,000 up in one session with Viffer Peet by seeing that he would always pot bet bluff(for the cameras methinks as i suspect that's just too obvious).

They spent over $17000 on a meal and played some silly game for who paid. To my mind it wasn't going to let people admire poker players at all. I did find it distasteful, a bit disturbing and ended up wanting them to lose. Yes, it was their money and they've taken a punt by learning a skill set to exploit others who are trying to exploit them but what do they feel proud about in their lives? We all know that you can play well and lose just as much as play well and win. Where was that balance in their lives and where are the documentaries of losing players who are in the gutter? Nowhere because they aren't on the radar anymore

I wonder if there are statistics out there showing average losses of the average player. Probably not as cash games aren't recorded to show what a gambling addiction can do. That glamour needs to be balanced imo with a smattering of the hard side of poker. Don't get me wrong, i enjoy playing and watching poker but when you see a disrespect for cash similar to when the whole table all went all-in for £$100,000 each in one episode of High Stakes Poker. It sends out the wrong vibes to hard working people.
 Anyone else seen it or have an opinion on how poker can improve it's image?
Maybe its just me as i'm not really a gambler and certainly don't see my entry fees as ivestments(more as payment to have some entertainment). It didn't make me envious. In a way, i just felt that these young guys were heading for a fall in their lives. ....and that fall may be over a cliff at some stage....

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Dont get so worked up about it ul get high blood pressure jeez
  • edited January 2013
    It's all relative Prof. You must see pretty regular a load of forum folk having a game of 4NL, pretty much no1 takes it seriously and will jam 73o pre knowing no-one is folding cos they're just having a laugh with money that doesn't mean much to them.

Me sticking £10 in a RR just for a gamble (not that I ever would lol) will feel the same to me as for others to stick £100 in a RR for a gamble.

I lose £50 in a night and it's a bad night, style loses £50 in a night and it's a quarter of a buy-in. It's all relative, most people would love to have the kinda money the people on High Stakes Poker. I can say for sure that if I had a £20million bankroll and was playing £1k/£2k and sitting down with 200k at a time, then playing 20NL would feel meaningless to me.
  • edited January 2013
    There is documentaries about losing poker players out there. Also it wasnt a documentary it was a reality tv show. They had no obligation to show losing poker players. If the tv show was about a new coffee shop would you expect them to go around and interview the other coffee shops in the area that this new one was putting out of business? No because the program had a specific focus and was purely for entertainment.

Also you make it seem like its easy to become a high stakes poker player. Like people who are successful at poker arent really earning their money. Its not easy money and once you are successful at it then who is to say where and how you should spend that money? They definitely dont spend it like i would but i don't feel disgusted if someone decides to spend 17k on a meal. They can do what they want. Also you make assumptions about balance in their lives based on a tv show set over two months. From what i remember Ansky went back to school to train to be a chef and Krantz is working on a poker documentary called Boom! and writing 'The Micros' which a lot of people enjoy. I'm sure the others also do things which aren't play poker as well. In fact i'm not even sure if any of them still play poker regularly. It doesnt seem like theyre heading for that cliff after all...

• edited January 2013
    +1 Offshoot. Pretty much nailed it word for word imo. Excellent post.
  • edited January 2013
    bet you really hit the £1.10 DYMS hard after watching that program eh?
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: 2million 2 months....NOT another SKY promotion.:
    Dont get so worked up about it ul get high blood pressure jeez
    Posted by seppe
    I'm not seppe. It's their money or their sponsors. I was just showing interest in the way poker is portrayed in the media in an unbalanced way and giving my opinion. What's yours?
  • edited January 2013
    It's all relative Prof. You must see pretty regular a load of forum folk having a game of 4NL, pretty much no1 takes it seriously and will jam 73o pre knowing no-one is folding cos they're just having a laugh with money that doesn't mean much to them. Me sticking £10 in a RR just for a gamble (not that I ever would lol) will feel the same to me as for others to stick £100 in a RR for a gamble. I lose £50 in a night and it's a bad night, style loses £50 in a night and it's a quarter of a buy-in. It's all relative, most people would love to have the kinda money the people on High Stakes Poker. I can say for sure that if I had a £20million bankroll and was playing £1k/£2k and sitting down with 200k at a time, then playing 20NL would feel meaningless to me.
    Posted by Lambert180
     Yes, very true L. It is relative and people would like to have the money they have on high stakes poker but would they like to gamble it in such  fashion. I suppose that a fearless nature and a lot of confidence is a prerequisite at these levels. I don't disagree with anything you say. I was giving my opinion as a micro stakes player who likes poker but doesn't play to generate cash in particularly. I don't like to gamble. I enjoy playing and trying to learn more about poker and that's it. I agree that the money didn't seem that important to them as i'm sure their confidence in themselves allowed them to beleive that they would have a winning day the next day. Probably the nature of the beast.
  • edited January 2013
    There is documentaries about losing poker players out there. Also it wasnt a documentary it was a reality tv show. They had no obligation to show losing poker players. If the tv show was about a new coffee shop would you expect them to go around and interview the other coffee shops in the area that this new one was putting out of business? No because the program had a specific focus and was purely for entertainment. Also you make it seem like its easy to become a high stakes poker player. Like people who are successful at poker arent really earning their money. Its not easy money and once you are successful at it then who is to say where and how you should spend that money? They definitely dont spend it like i would but i don't feel disgusted if someone decides to spend 17k on a meal. They can do what they want. Also you make assumptions about balance in their lives based on a tv show set over two months. From what i remember Ansky went back to school to train to be a chef and Krantz is working on a poker documentary called Boom! and writing 'The Micros' which a lot of people enjoy. I'm sure the others also do things which aren't play poker as well. In fact i'm not even sure if any of them still play poker regularly. It doesnt seem like theyre heading for that cliff after all...
    Posted by offshoot
    Hi Offshoot
    No it wasn't a documentary just as you say and i found it entertaining in parts too. I don't think its easy to become a high stakes poker player btw at all. It takes a lot of skill, learning and above all a particular personality to deal with the ups and downs of it all. I'm glad they're doing well in their respective careers.
    I was only putting forward my opinion after watching the episodes and saying that they seemed to have lost sight of the value of what they were playing for. Its probably understandable when these massive wins and losses interchange from day to day. 
    The coffee shop analogy was out there but i wasn't saying why didn't THIS programme research losers in poker. I was asking why the majority of poker shows are there to show the winners and the glamour and that poker isn't doing itself many favours to the general population when its shown in this way and doesn't consder the big losers in any way. Fine you, as an avid player and lover of poker, may not care one jot.
    I never said poker players aren't earning their money either. TBH, its a difficult way to do it with all the pressures involved, i suspect. And one which i'm 100% certain i'd never consider.
    I was just surprised at the lack of concern when hundreds of thousands of dollars were involved, thats all.
    It was only an opinion and if its created a friendly exchange then fine.
  • edited January 2013
    bet you really hit the £1.10 DYMS hard after watching that program eh?
    Posted by bolly580

What does this mean? Do you have an opinion Bolly instead of sideswiping someone who's retired after 20+ years teaching and is divorced with two cash hungry teenagers because he can't afford to play £110 entry T's or £55 dym's as his skill/confidence levels couldn't deal with the likely losses. A lot of people play low stakes but they can still love playing and have opinions.
    This is a forum and people are disagreeing with my opinion and i accept that. TBH some of my original points have lost some relevance because of what others have said here. Surely thats the aim of a forum for people interested in a particular shared hobby.
    BTW you'd lose your BET concerning the £1.10 dyms ....its £3.30 and £5.50 actually.