You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

shoving

edited January 2013 in Poker Chat
It really is not poker just to go all in preflop.At the smaller stakes sit and go this has become the norm. Might as well play roulette.
Is this a modern trend or are the presenters on the TV chanel promoting this. Some poorer players are leaving tournements in the first few hands after shoving with almost anything[especially in position]

Comments

• edited January 2013
    This is pretty much what the TV presenters are telling us to do to be honest.

I think it started with Tikay ('you can't get outplayed when you're all in'), then was copied by the rest.

I've seen Ant and Dec follow suit on Im', a Celeb ('Why aye, giv it a shove pet, like'), and I even heard it mentioned by a presenter on the rugby the other day....

If you can't beat em.....

• edited January 2013
    In Response to shoving:
    It really is not poker just to go all in preflop.At the smaller stakes sit and go this has become the norm. Might as well play roulette. Is this a modern trend or are the presenters on the TV chanel promoting this. Some poorer players are leaving tournements in the first few hands after shoving with almost anything[especially in position]
    Posted by lucium
    To be fair, Mr Lucium, it is a perfectly legit tactic, but is a double-edged sword. Wait for a good hand, call, & you get nicely doubled up. Always easy to shove with any two cards, and a lot harder to call. Therein lies the skill in poker, in trying to assess what the shover has, & whether your hand beats his likely range.

I would like to think the Analysts on Channel 861 advocate a whole range of different ways of playing hands, everyone should do what best suits them, & the circumstance. We certainly do advocate that as long as people play within the rules, they should try & mix it up a bit. People are whloly entitled to play any way they wish with their own money, & as their opponent, we have to find ways to combat their strategy.  

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: shoving:
    This is pretty much what the TV presenters are telling us to do to be honest. I think it started with Tikay ('you can't get outplayed when you're all in'), then was copied by the rest. I've seen Ant and Dec follow suit on Im', a Celeb ('Why aye, giv it a shove pet, like'), and I even heard it mentioned by a presenter on the rugby the other day.... If you can't beat em.....
    Posted by jakally
    Proof indeed of Jakally's viewing habits - he watches tikay, & CBB. That's called, I would suggest, an eclectic mix.

Life in the Jakally household must be quite something. ;)

PS - Rylan ftw.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: shoving : Proof indeed of Jakally's viewing habits - he watches tikay, & CBB. That's called, I would suggest, an eclectic mix.   Life in the Jakally household must be quite something. ;) PS - Rylan ftw.
    Posted by Tikay10
    The day I watch that rubbish on the TV is the day I give up! CBB's ok though.... :)
  • edited January 2013

I so got owned there......
  • edited January 2013
    Play pot limit )
  • edited January 2013
    Play pot limit )
    Posted by rancid
    Ooh, Pot Limit. That's the only format I still have an edge in.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: shoving : Ooh, Pot Limit. That's the only format I still have an edge in.
    Posted by Tikay10
    PLO 8 or better split- now that's a game you can't get bored of - shame more games don't run on here
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to shoving:
    It really is not poker just to go all in preflop.At the smaller stakes sit and go this has become the norm. Might as well play roulette. Is this a modern trend or are the presenters on the TV chanel promoting this. Some poorer players are leaving tournements in the first few hands after shoving with almost anything[especially in position]
    Posted by lucium
    There comes a point in sng's when it's absolutely the right thing to do.

I admit this isn't necessarily when you're 100BB's deep but each to there own
  • edited January 2013
    Hi l

I do see a few of these and i wnder what they have especially when you get an AI with a 100 bb stack in the first couple of levels. What range do people think they have generally. I'm thinking mpprs myself.After all, it an't be prem prs can it? Thoughts guys?