You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

did my turn cost me a larger pot

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
if a player is showing aggression is that the time that a shove should be done when holding the nuts
with the flop i was thinking it might be a cbet with a weak hand so i went with the call but with him then making another bet on the turn is that when shoves are better that slow play with the absolute nuts
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
jebbo Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.60
craigcu12 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.72
 Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

vilRaise  £0.12 £0.18 £3.04
1stackshot Fold     
thesnakebg Fold     
TINTIN Fold     
jebbo Fold     
craigcu12 Call  £0.08 £0.26 £3.64
Flop

• J

craigcu12 Check     
vilBet  £0.20 £0.46 £2.84
craigcu12 Call  £0.20 £0.66 £3.44
Turn

craigcu12 Check     
vilBet  £0.50 £1.16 £2.34
craigcu12 Call  £0.50 £1.66 £2.94
River

craigcu12 Check     
vilCheck     
craigcu12 Show
  • J
  • J

vilMuck

craigcu12 Win Full House, Jacks and 9s £1.53  £4.47

Comments

• edited January 2013
    I'd probably raise the turn, but don't shove, and I'd never check the river, too often he'll check behind with loads of weak hands that he would have called a bet with.
  • edited January 2013
    I'd rather check-raise the flop than check-raise the turn.

If you check-raise the flop you can be doing so with a flush-draw, straight-draw or just a Jack. If you had any of those draws you wouldn't wait until the turn to semi-bluff (probably) and you probably wouldn't check-call the flop, then check-raise the turn with just a Jack. Most people would check-call again.

I'd check-raise the flop and then I'd have the betting lead for future streets. If you never make any moves then you can only be raising with a real hand though, so this is only going to be a good play if you also make these raises with semi-bluffs with draws. If you always play draws passively, then you should check-call both flop and turn, then lead the river for an amount that you would also make as a bluff if you'd missed your draw.

Essentially you should ask yourself what you would do if you had a draw on this board and do that.

As it is, bet the river. Not full-pot as that only ever seems to mean the nuts at lower stakes. As Lambert says, when you check the river, your opponent is going to check back so, so often.

On another note; why no 3-bet pre-flop? What's your opponent's raising range and how does he respond to 3-bets? I'm just interested in your reasons for flatting, not that it's necessarily bad.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: did my turn cost me a larger pot:
    I'd rather check-raise the flop than check-raise the turn. If you check-raise the flop you can be doing so with a flush-draw, straight-draw or just a Jack. If you had any of those draws you wouldn't wait until the turn to semi-bluff (probably) and you probably wouldn't check-call the flop, then check-raise the turn with just a Jack. Most people would check-call again. I'd check-raise the flop and then I'd have the betting lead for future streets. If you never make any moves then you can only be raising with a real hand though, so this is only going to be a good play if you also make these raises with semi-bluffs with draws. If you always play draws passively, then you should check-call both flop and turn, then lead the river for an amount that you would also make as a bluff if you'd missed your draw. Essentially you should ask yourself what you would do if you had a draw on this board and do that. As it is, bet the river. Not full-pot as that only ever seems to mean the nuts at lower stakes. As Lambert says, when you check the river, your opponent is going to check back so, so often. On another note; why no 3-bet pre-flop? What's your opponent's raising range and how does he respond to 3-bets? I'm just interested in your reasons for flatting, not that it's necessarily bad.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Good point, completely missed this. I'm definitely 3betting JJ @ 4NL
  • edited January 2013
    why no 3-bet pre-flop? What's your opponent's raising range and how does he respond to 3-bets? I'm just interested in your reasons for flatting, not that it's necessarily bad.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    without reads when would it be good to flat with JJ oop at low stakes?
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: did my turn cost me a larger pot : without reads when would it be good to flat with JJ oop at low stakes?
    Posted by GELDY
    i had a look through the history the sort of reading i see is middle betting with high connector cards and Axs and 4-5bb with any pocket pairs.
    and frop the flop onwards he would go larger with good hands and flush draws and check or do a continue bet wit hands he missed
    so this his hand here was most likely a flush draw since he did a 3xbb preflop
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: did my turn cost me a larger pot : without reads when would it be good to flat with JJ oop at low stakes?
    Posted by GELDY
    Against someone who only raises premium hands we should flat pre with JJ. There are a few of them knocking around at NL10 so I assume the same is true at NL4. Obviously if someone's raising every hand and always folding to 3-bets without premium hands, then we can flat for value. Being out of position will make things trickier but never mind.