You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

ATTENTION: People who curse their luck

edited January 2013 in Poker Chat
Dear, everyone who constantly fills this forum with complaints about how they always run bad, or how SkyPoker might be rigged.
(I know these sorts of threads have been done before, but hey, what have I got to lose. It's like an information dishy-outty freeroll.)

Okay, first off, on people that constantly get their money in good and lose? I dare anyone to keep a track record of their All-ins, and not see it even out in the long-run.

SkyPoker is NOT rigged. They have no incentive to rig it, and it's regulated by an independant gaming comission.

Anyone claiming otherwise is acting on emotion and needs to either:
1) Take a step back, re-evaluate your claims based on statistical absolutes, and move on from there.
2) Take a break from poker, or learn a way to deal with tilt and/or people sucking out.
3) Realise that poker isn't for you, if you can't handle losing a few pots in a row.

Everyone gets lucky, and most likely, you're forgetting the times when you get lucky on someone else. Every time people get it in good, they expect to win every single time, and when you don't it's like the site has it in for you or some bs.

Every time you win a pot must be some form of running-good, because the times you lose, y'all go crazy about how unlucky you are. There needs to be balance.
- When someone setmines but doesn't flop a set vs your overpair, that's running good.
- When someone check-calls a bet with their gutshot, misses, then folds to your turn bet, that's running good.
- When you get in QQ pre for 100bb and the other guy only has AK, that's running good.

Why? Because the times when people get really lucky on us, hitting their sets, their 4outers, or when they just wake up with Aces or Kings, we think of it as a massive cooler set-up hand, looking up to the poker gods screaming "damn you all!".
You NEED to realise that there isn't just luck in the form of all-ins. There's the run-good you DON'T SEE. This is incredibly important to realise, because if you don't, you're always going to see yourself running bad, and getting unlucky. You will never take mental note of people playing bad and not getting lucky on you, only the times that they do. This perpetuates itself into negative thoughts and poor deductions about how well we're running.

If someone gets in AT vs my AK pre, the result is meaningless. We played it well, they played it bad, happy days.

If I told you I wanted to bet you all even money, that it will be scorching hot tomorrow, at 1/1, you'd all bet against me, right? You place the bet versus me, chuckling to yourself that I've given you rediculously good odds on what is an almost certain outcome in your favour.
Regardless of the weather tomorrow, you've made a good bet. You have gained value in the long run.

Outcomes.
1) It's sunny, you think you're a genius and I'm an idiot for placing money on it not being sunny, and you think nothing more of it. You got your money in ahead, you deserved to win the bet, end of story.
2) I hit my miracle, and it's sunny. You pay up, cursing how unlucky you are, thinking that the weather gods are probably rigged and you're not going to bet against me again because i'm such a massive luckbox, because you should have never lost that bet.

How rediculous does that sound?

That's how rediculous your claims sound when you say that online poker is rigged.

Good day to y'all.

Cheers,
Smitalos

*Disclaimer* - No, I'm not laying even money on it being anything other than sunny tomorrow. Please stop PM-ing me about it, and how you can't wait to take my money.

Last Word + Cliffs: If you want to berate short-term run-bad, please stop creating a thread every time you do. There is an excellent moderator on here in the form of TommyD, and seeing him have to waste his valueable time clearing up all the pointless and sometimes childish threads is doing my head in. The guy is generous enough to devote a portion of his time every day to make this forum a better and more enjoyable experience for the rest of us. Just try to add something meaningful to the forums with every post, or at the very least keep the menial redundant 'de-cluttering the forum' chores that he has to do, to a minimum.
Thanks for reading, run good out there guys.

Comments

• edited January 2013
    lol :D Agreed man. People wont know what to do now area 51 has gone :P

But yeah like you said... swings and round abouts another nice post... you trying to win post of the week? :D
  • edited January 2013
    Still not nice to run bad for a long spell and it's good to vent imo

Don't think controlling tilt is the easiest thing to do.

Think it's good to have a varaince section where people can vent there frustartion when oppo goes runner runner.

Area51 though was just full of nonsense, like betting on the horses and thinking it's fixed :D

Anywayz, Smit you told me long time ago to not put too much pressure on myself to win money at this game.
    I didn't realise what great advice that was till now, thanks for that.

• edited January 2013
    Nice post Smitalos.

It's reading posts like this, that remind me why I love & hate the game so much and why I don't post bad beat stories blaming sky poker or the software. Don't get me wrong, I have days where I feel like i'm being constantly outdrawn, days where the big stacker always seams to beat my QQ, KK, AA or AK, with any old rubbish, but, it happens and we have to learn to accept it.

The mind has a funny old way of playing tricks on us when we are running bad, some peeps can cope with it, some peeps can't. Some peeps just implode at the mere thought of their pocket aces being outdrawn by 59 suited all-in pre-flop, and god forbid if it was against the big stacker :)

Poker is very much a mind game and this part of our game can be just as important if not more so than the actual cards we are being dealt. Lets face it, we don't always have to have a good hand to win at poker (Although it sometimes does help) we just have to make our opponent believe we have a good hand.

Once we risk our tourney life by setting our whole stack in pre-flop or at any other time for that matter, then it matters not one bit what our holding cards are or what our oppo's holding cards are, we have put it all on the line and we have to accept the end result, win or lose.

Poker is like a good woman: You don't always get everything your way :)
    Poker is like a Washing Machine: You can only take out what you put in (Minus any loose change)
    Poker is like making love: You look forward to it all week, but you may only last three minutes (I run so bad:)

Best of luck at the tables Smitalos - Run good.
  • edited January 2013
    dnt think smit wants to win post of the week im sure he has enough $$$$$$$$ nice post tho all makes sense :)
  • edited January 2013
    Hi S

+1 to your post.

No harm in reiterating what everyone agrees on. Bad beat stories do get a bit tedious but as long as there aren't conspiracy stories attached, i can see why people relate them as some sort of cathartic experience.

Mind, we may be on a never ending circle of bad beat post, don't put bad beat posts, bad beat post, don't put bad beat posts , ....ad infinitum...hey ho
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: ATTENTION: People who curse their luck:
    dnt think smit wants to win post of the week im sure he has enough $$$$$$$$ nice post tho all makes sense :)
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Every penny counts
  • edited January 2013
    completely wrong sky is definately rigged. if you lose a pot then tell opponent that he is run good luckbox ( or something of a similar, if slightly more frenchy version) you will cooler him in the next 2 orbits and feel like an idiot
  • edited January 2013
    Nice post Smitalos. It's reading posts like this, that remind me why I love & hate the game so much and why I don't post bad beat stories blaming sky poker or the software. Don't get me wrong, I have days where I feel like i'm being constantly outdrawn, days where the big stacker always seams to beat my QQ, KK, AA or AK, with any old rubbish, but, it happens and we have to learn to accept it. The mind has a funny old way of playing tricks on us when we are running bad, some peeps can cope with it, some peeps can't. Some peeps just implode at the mere thought of their pocket aces being outdrawn by 59 suited all-in pre-flop, and god forbid if it was against the big stacker :) Poker is very much a mind game and this part of our game can be just as important if not more so than the actual cards we are being dealt. Lets face it, we don't always have to have a good hand to win at poker (Although it sometimes does help) we just have to make our opponent believe we have a good hand. Once we risk our tourney life by setting our whole stack in pre-flop or at any other time for that matter, then it matters not one bit what our holding cards are or what our oppo's holding cards are, we have put it all on the line and we have to accept the end result, win or lose. Poker is like a good woman:  You don't always get everything your way :) Poker is like a Washing Machine: You can only take out what you put in (Minus any loose change) Poker is like making love: You look forward to it all week, but you may only last three minutes (I run so bad:) Best of luck at the tables Smitalos - Run good.
    Posted by POKERTREV

poker is like making love to a beautiful woman... it all goes in, in the end.

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: ATTENTION: People who curse their luck : poker is like making love to a beautiful woman... it all goes in, in the end.
    Posted by aussie09
    As long as you shove at the right time ! ;-)
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: ATTENTION: People who curse their luck : poker is like making love to a beautiful woman... it all goes in, in the end.
    Posted by aussie09
    If I won more I might be able to use the "Withdrawal Method" :)
  • edited January 2013
    Great OP. Considered doing something similar but a combination of CBA and thinking no1 will listen put me off.
  • edited January 2013
    Excellent post, please post more often.
  • edited January 2013

this post is excellent what they should do is replace that old area 51 forum for a forum that's for hands which stayed best after shoving then we'd see how much thought goes into these ones.
    if we want fish and passive players we need these bad hands to win sometimes

• edited January 2013
    great post that has helped me a lot.. thanks
  • edited January 2013
    Both of your outcomes = it being sunny? #flawedbet #iwantarefund
  • edited January 2013
    Both of your outcomes = it being sunny? #flawedbet #iwantarefund
    Posted by percival09
    Lol was gonna say the same but couldn't be bothered.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: ATTENTION: People who curse their luck : Lol was gonna say the same but couldn't be bothered.
    Posted by Lambert180
    But you could be bothered to let us know you couldn't be bothered? :)
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: ATTENTION: People who curse their luck : But you could be bothered to let us know you couldn't be bothered? :)
    Posted by Giant811

I am so glad that you could be bothered to do a post about him not being bothered, which he wasn't really probably bothered about.
  • edited January 2013
    Kinda thought it's always sunny, you just can't see it below the clouds
    Then I thought well maybe I could be in a plane and win the bet or something

then I stopped thinking........