You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

did i take a big risk calling with this many shoves

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
craigcu12 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £5.09
stevedore Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £2.59
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

fffflipek Call  £0.04 £0.10 £4.23
Wicklow Call  £0.04 £0.14 £4.36
halliday12 Call  £0.04 £0.18 £4.21
Dormy4 Call  £0.04 £0.22 £1.88
craigcu12 Raise  £0.18 £0.40 £4.91
stevedore Call  £0.16 £0.56 £2.43
fffflipek Call  £0.16 £0.72 £4.07
Wicklow Call  £0.16 £0.88 £4.20
halliday12 Fold     
Dormy4 Call  £0.16 £1.04 £1.72
Flop

craigcu12 Bet  £1.04 £2.08 £3.87
stevedore Call  £1.04 £3.12 £1.39
fffflipek All-in  £4.07 £7.19 £0.00
Wicklow All-in  £4.20 £11.39 £0.00
Dormy4 Fold     
craigcu12 Call  £3.16 £14.55 £0.71
stevedore All-in  £1.39

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Given that most people at 4NL are ridic passive, I'd be willing to bet alot on the fact you're drawing to 2 outs, if not drawing to runner runner cos 1 has a straight.
  • edited January 2013
    You need to raise way more pre. Just bomb it up.
  • edited January 2013
    You need to raise to at least 40p here pre.  I'm not folding but would be supprised if I am ahead.
  • edited January 2013
    raise size difernet on 4 nl  on a standard 20 nl tabled or 50 nl table im 2 x but 4 nl as alot of people play any 2 cards   5 x raise it pre :)
  • edited January 2013
    I gave u some of my thoughts on this hand in the related BBV post Craig, one thing I didn't mention was your raise size pre.

I agree with the concensus here that your preflop raise was on the small side and villains are getting too sexy a price to not call, especially once they start schooling. From the BB I tend to raise a little over pot and especially with this many limpers lurking around. (Would be interested in other views on raising limpers from the BB, baring in mind you're most likely OOP for the rest of the hand.)

I would have gone at least 30 here, nothing too crazy as you still want villains to feel like they have room to 3 bet/shove over you to steal.

I was never trying to suggest you made a big mistake here btw, just coaxing you to think what hand(s) you're up against ;)
  • edited January 2013
    As others have stated, you need to bet much more pre. You can bet around 40p pre flop and safely assume you'll get at least one caller at NL4 - particularly as four have already limped. Post flop, you're almost certainly behind and possibly drawing to runner runner.
  • edited January 2013
    That's twice 40p has been quoted, where's this number coming from? Any math behind that?
  • edited January 2013

well this is the hands they had and it bring up another question relating to the sort of players am time

stevedore Show
    • Q

fffflipek Show
    • Q

Wicklow Show

Turn

• J

River

Wicklow Win Straight to the Jack £14.74  £14.74
    do the micro tables from around 9pm start getting lots of people who just treat poker like bingo?
    during the afternoon most people seem to play like calling stations or just want to see what the flop brings but i rarely see many shoves
  • edited January 2013
    The basic thoughts are lets gambles it's only 20p to call, we are talking pennies.
    So they don't care of think about anything else.

Hit flop & don't fold
    Don't be afriad to raise more

edit: sorry didn't mention -
    raise pre as much money as you want 35p
    flop as played, bet 80p and fold looking at that action - 2 pr minimum
    You just don't wanna go multi way like this unless you can fold your hand when facing spots like this
  • edited January 2013
    I'd prob b/f smaller otf
  • edited January 2013
    Well at 4NL I'd generally recommend 5x pre (20p) then + 1 for every limper so that takes us up to 36p here, and at this level I always add a bit more with monsters cos frankly at this level they just don't notice and if they'll call 36p, then probably call 45p too.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: did i take a big risk calling with this many shoves:
    Well at 4NL I'd generally recommend 5x pre (20p) then + 1 for every limper so that takes us up to 36p here, and at this level I always add a bit more with monsters cos frankly at this level they just don't notice and if they'll call 36p, then probably call 45p too.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Spot on
  • edited January 2013
    Some interesting comments about preflop bet sizing in a limp infested game, 5x+ raises brings up other questions in my mind which I might start another thread on rather than hijacking this one.

Back to Craig's question, the conscensus seems to be that yes you took a significant risk calling, I'd add be careful you don't fall into the trap of reviewing a hand and looking at villians specific hands rather than their most likely hand ranges and using that to direct your thinking in similar spots in the future. Laying down KK is painful here but bear in mind KK in a 5 way pot is a coin flip situation against the field from the outset and things have got even uglier with this much heat post flop.
  • edited January 2013
    just need to bet it big enough p/f v callers to get it heads up- and this should ensure you are playing for villain's stack.  - 1.5 - 2 x pot should be good (40-45p).
    ps if you look at the pot odds that were created by betting small after 4 callers you will see why most of them peeled, esp last 2 , 16/76,16/88