You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

poker chat at live tables

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
just a quicki people. i have been watching high roller poker tourney in m/carlo on tv and iam curious to know why a player before he makes a bet will ask his oppo how much he started with .
                    regards windy

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Because you need to know your opponents stack size to play. For instance, if someone 3x'd in an MTT you could 3bet bluff with ATC if you think they fold a lot but there's no point doing it when they have 10xBB cos so rarely will they ever fold

To be honest tho, most experienced players are capable of getting a rough idea of stack size by looking and not needing to ask, it's more often used to see how they react to the question so they can try to get a tell and see whether they're happy to get their stack in or whether they'd fold to aggression.

Asking someone how much they got left can be seen as saying 'I'm not folding so how much more have I gotta put in to get you all in' so if you're sat there thinking you really don't wanna get the rest of your chips in, you can give this away by your response.