You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Dealing with limpers in MTT's

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
This is something that seems to occur most often at the lower stakes but that I always seem to struggle with.

Say you're on the button with a hand you'd open raise with such as A9, K10, 77 etc and you have 2 or more limpers in front of you.. how do you go about it?  A raise would have to be larger than the standard 3x to take into account the limpers and in my experience players just don't fold pre flop at low stakes so you're playing a large multi way pot with an average starting hand (albeit in position).  Cheers for any advice.

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Hmmm this is a tough one.  Things is though, there are many types of limpers.  Some just limp in because they have a picture card or cause its suited, others also limp in with their AKs, KKs etc.  Its like they don't know where the raise button is.  If I had 77 on the button and there were two limpers in front of me id 4x pre.  Some people add an extra BB for every limper so in that case theyd 5x, but i find this can be detrimental because after all you are playing an average hand and inflate the pot when really youd like to see a cheap flop.  Tough one.  Cant really help im afraid. looool. :)
  • edited January 2013
    77 is a clear call to set mine in this spot imo. small mid pocket pairs you want to be multiway to the flop so there is more chance you can get paid by top pair or 2 pair when you hit your set. The +1 bb for each player rule is a good 1 to follow in general. If the table is that limp/cally then there is no need to be playing these marginals wven with position just wait for beter hands and increase pot size wehn you have a premium simples
  • edited January 2013
    Hi A

Possibly depends on your image to play some hands and your position on the table. TBH early doors why not just call to set ine with low to med pprs and forget about  the likes of A9o as it will probably be behind even if an ace flops if inflated pots are costing you chips.
  • edited January 2013
    If im on the button with 77 with numerous limpers then I would just limp myself and try to set mine for cheap. Others may, and prob will, disagree.

I'm also tightening up my range considerably. Just sit tight and wait for a big enough hand to punish the limpers. In the early stages, hands like K10 and A9 (even in position) just aren't worth getting involved with on tables like this imo.

As you approach the mid to latter stages the amount of limpers tend to reduce and then you can change your play and widen your range accordingly

Having said that I'm quite a tight player, a more aggressive player may have a different line of thinking but I play a lot of these small stakes mtts and this approach works for me (sometimes) lol
  • edited January 2013
    The best play in this situation depends on alot of things. None of the above posts seem to mention how deep the effective stack is and that is the primary concern. Which players are doing the limping and what their ranges for limping are will also be an issue, but as a guide to what I'd do with various stack-sizes and 77 on the button:

More than 40BB: I'm raising it up. I make it a standard 3x + 1 and I look to take it down with a c-bet on a good flop. Good flops are three low cards, preferably of three different suits. A Jack or Queen high flop is usually good to c-bet as long as the other cards are low. Don't c-bet monochrome flops unless it contains a 7, obviously. Don't c-bet A-high or King-high flops too often with more than one limp-caller since it's more likely than not that one of the limpers has an Ace. Ten-high flops are fairly bad to c-bet because Tens fit so much of a limpers range, including straight draws. Don't bet a T93 flop, for example, though T24 would be a nice one for you. So basically don't c-bet when it seems very likely to have hit your opponents' ranges. If we get it heads-up pre-flop we can c-bet alot more frequently.

25-40BB: I think this is a forgivable time to limp behind, as long as you think it's unlikely that the players in the blinds are going to put pressure on the limps without a big hand. You also have to ask yourself what other hands you would limp with here, and what other hands would your opponents give you credit for. You would never limp with AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK etc so don't go crazy trying to represent those hands on later streets. A good player in the Big Blind is also likely to recognise that when you want to put lots of money in on a 732 flop, that you probably have a massive hand. So be aware of the image you're projecting when you limp. There is nothing easier to read than a player who raises time and time again and then suddenly wants to limp in. I'd personally still prefer to raise.

15-25BB: Just fold. You don't have good implied odds to set-mine and raising is committing a lage portion of your stack to a pot with a marginal value hand. You don't want to raise-fold with this stack but you're unlikely to get it in ahead if someone 3-bets. With this stack size you need to be looking for spots to make the 3-bet yourself. Just let the hand go.

15BB or fewer: Go all-in. There's already 3.5BB in the middle, which is at least 23% of your stack. If you're called by the limpers you're probably flipping and it's unlikely that either of the limpers is strong enough to call anyway.

Remember (alot of) this is dependent on the effective stack size. If you have 100BB but the two limpers have 25BB and 45BB, then the effective stack is 45BB. You must beware of that short-stacked player but you're playing for the stack of the deeper player. You can't set-mine against short-stacks and you can't put huge pressure on someone if you're short and they're really deep.

This is only a rough guide and obviously every situation is different. I try not to use definite rules for my play and you should grow your own game.

I use the example of 77 because people often play pocket pairs very differently. Generally speaking though, you need to be thinking about what you would do with various hands in this situation, not just "I've got 77, what do I want to do with them". Also think about what you'd do with bigger hands and weaker hands and bear in mind how it looks if you do something else.
  • edited January 2013
    I would just set mine with 77 on this site as standard on this site is brain dead and will prob hit their 2 pair on the river, however if I had less than say 10 - 15 bb I would shove.
  • edited January 2013
    While not betting a black and white board works quite well BL, I think not betting a Monotone probably is what you meant ;)

Edit: Sorry, rude not to say, +1 to most of the stuff BL says. I still limp behind with 77 when theres 2 limpers almost regardless of stack size. When you flop sets, you want as many people in the pot as possible to maximise the chances people have top pairs for you to stack! and If you get peeled 3/4 ways then you can't really cbet any flops that dont contain a 7. 

I also limp KTs, fold KTo, limp A9s, fold A9o in this spot. raise AJs+, 99+
  • edited January 2013

Well, if we're going to be pedantic about it:

mon·o·chrome

n.
      a. A picture, especially a painting, done in different shades of a single color.
      b. The art or technique of executing such a picture.
    2. The state of being in a single color.
    3. A black-and-white image, as in photography or on television

Nerr nerr!! :P
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Dealing with limpers in MTT's:
    The best play in this situation depends on alot of things. None of the above posts seem to mention how deep the effective stack is and that is the primary concern. Which players are doing the limping and what their ranges for limping are will also be an issue, but as a guide to what I'd do with various stack-sizes and 77 on the button : More than 40BB: I'm raising it up. I make it a standard 3x + 1 and I look to take it down with a c-bet on a good flop. Good flops are three low cards, preferably of three different suits. A Jack or Queen high flop is usually good to c-bet as long as the other cards are low. Don't c-bet monochrome flops unless it contains a 7, obviously. Don't c-bet A-high or King-high flops too often with more than one limp-caller since it's more likely than not that one of the limpers has an Ace. Ten-high flops are fairly bad to c-bet because Tens fit so much of a limpers range, including straight draws. Don't bet a T93 flop, for example, though T24 would be a nice one for you. So basically don't c-bet when it seems very likely to have hit your opponents' ranges. If we get it heads-up pre-flop we can c-bet alot more frequently. 25-40BB: I think this is a forgivable time to limp behind, as long as you think it's unlikely that the players in the blinds are going to put pressure on the limps without a big hand. You also have to ask yourself what other hands you would limp with here, and what other hands would your opponents give you credit for. You would never limp with AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK etc so don't go crazy trying to represent those hands on later streets. A good player in the Big Blind is also likely to recognise that when you want to put lots of money in on a 732 flop, that you probably have a massive hand. So be aware of the image you're projecting when you limp. There is nothing easier to read than a player who raises time and time again and then suddenly wants to limp in. I'd personally still prefer to raise. 15-25BB: Just fold. You don't have good implied odds to set-mine and raising is committing a lage portion of your stack to a pot with a marginal value hand. You don't want to raise-fold with this stack but you're unlikely to get it in ahead if someone 3-bets. With this stack size you need to be looking for spots to make the 3-bet yourself. Just let the hand go. 15BB or fewer: Go all-in. There's already 3.5BB in the middle, which is at least 23% of your stack. If you're called by the limpers you're probably flipping and it's unlikely that either of the limpers is strong enough to call anyway. Remember (alot of) this is dependent on the effective stack size. If you have 100BB but the two limpers have 25BB and 45BB, then the effective stack is 45BB. You must beware of that short-stacked player but you're playing for the stack of the deeper player. You can't set-mine against short-stacks and you can't put huge pressure on someone if you're short and they're really deep. This is only a rough guide and obviously every situation is different. I try not to use definite rules for my play and you should grow your own game. I use the example of 77 because people often play pocket pairs very differently. Generally speaking though, you need to be thinking about what you would do with various hands in this situation, not just "I've got 77, what do I want to do with them". Also think about what you'd do with bigger hands and weaker hands and bear in mind how it looks if you do something else.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Thanks BorinLoner, I really like your post - comprehensive and simple to read. do you know of any books that describe different hand plays in the format you've used above? 
  • edited January 2013
    Personally I don't think it is ever too early to isolate limpers.  I would never limp the button with these hands, but perhaps at the lower limits it is forgivable if we think the other players aren't paying attention to what we're doing. 
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Dealing with limpers in MTT's : Thanks BorinLoner, I really like your post - comprehensive and simple to read. do you know of any books that describe different hand plays in the format you've used above? 
    Posted by RMadrid174
    borin loner actually  has his own book. Search it on amazon. It's 14 million words long, and that's only him explaining the different positions of a 6max table. He soon elaborates though and it turns into quite the read.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Dealing with limpers in MTT's : Thanks BorinLoner, I really like your post - comprehensive and simple to read. do you know of any books that describe different hand plays in the format you've used above? 
    Posted by RMadrid174
    I don't think any good poker books would provide a rigid structure for how to play a particular hand. My post was simply meant to give an idea of how the size of your stack or the effective stack can alter the way in which you'll want to play a hand. There will always be other factors to consider like your position, the tendencies of your opponents, your own image at the table, etc... so you have to be adaptable. There is no single "best" way to play 77 or any other hand.

If you haven't read 'Harrington On Hold'em' Volumes 1 and 2, then give those a run-through. They're the best books to learn the fundamentals, in my opinion.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Dealing with limpers in MTT's : borin loner actually  has his own book. Search it on amazon. It's 14 million words long, and that's only him explaining the different positions of a 6max table. He soon elaborates though and it turns into quite the read.
    Posted by percival09
    My book isn't in shops just yet. My thousand monkeys had problems learning to use their typewriters.