You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Would you call this?

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Early stages of an MTT, the player who shoved was playing slightly aggressive. I know I got lucky on the river but would you play this hand the same and call the shove? Thanks in advance.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
tracy1967 Small blind  30.00 30.00 5010.00
warren1967 Big blind  60.00 90.00 1940.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

Dilan1981 Fold     
willieg Raise  240.00 330.00 2252.50
loz9 Fold     
Keyser05 Call  240.00 570.00 5547.50
tracy1967 Call  210.00 780.00 4800.00
warren1967 Call  180.00 960.00 1760.00
Flop

• J

tracy1967 Check     
warren1967 Check     
willieg Bet  720.00 1680.00 1532.50
Keyser05 Fold     
tracy1967 All-in  4800.00 6480.00 0.00
warren1967 Fold     
willieg All-in  1532.50 8012.50 0.00
tracy1967 Unmatched bet  2547.50 5465.00 2547.50
tracy1967 Show

willieg Show
  • Q
  • Q

Turn

• K

River

• Q

willieg Win Three Queens 5465.00  5465.00

Comments

• edited January 2013
    I'm no expert, but I think you've got to. No overcard, hardly any draws. I wouldn't like making the call when she shoves, but I think you have too.
  • edited January 2013
    A no draw shove is indicative of a very strong hand.  The amount of times i see people shoving when they dominate all other hands is outrageous.  If i'm him, i'm only calling the flop and raising turn.   It seems as if people like to get their money in ahead these days even though they are missing out on value in the long run.  I'd like to think I'd lay this down knowing what hands are likely to call my 4x pre flop (inc Jacks), however I think id probably tell myself he has AJ and cry when I make the call and see his set.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Would you call this?:
    A no draw shove is indicative of a very strong hand.  The amount of times i see people shoving when they dominate all other hands is outrageous.  If i'm him, i'm only calling the flop and raising turn.   It seems as if people like to get their money in ahead these days even though they are missing out on value in the long run.  I'd like to think I'd lay this down knowing what hands are likely to call my 4x pre flop (inc Jacks), however I think id probably tell myself he has AJ and cry when I make the call and see his set.
    Posted by gazza127
    Agree with this somewhat, but when you see someone making this big of a c-bet their hand is usually fairly obvious as an overpair, so shoving to get the money in now before an overcard like an A comes makes some sense. If I thought opponent would fold an overpair then i'd be tempted to just flat call.

Also to the original poster, the c-bet is way too big. I would make it no more than half pot which gives us a chance to get away from our hand. When we bet so big we kind of have to call.
  • edited January 2013
    I'm no expert, but I think you've got to. No overcard, hardly any draws. I wouldn't like making the call when she shoves, but I think you have too.
    Posted by ididit14
    dope"""""""""""""""""

i would INSTANT fold, what are you beating really? would he really shove JA with nothing out there threatning his hand? no way, he would call to see what you do on the turn and see if you got a big overpair, if he has a set which he does he will SHOVE hoping to get called by your PP which is clearly what he pu you on, either that or a bluff but thats hardly unlikely with a big pot with 4 people in
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Would you call this? : dope""""""""""""""""" i would INSTANT fold, what are you beating really? would he really shove JA with nothing out there threatning his hand? no way, he would call to see what you do on the turn and see if you got a big overpair, if he has a set which he does he will SHOVE hoping to get called by your PP which is clearly what he pu you on, either that or a bluff but thats hardly unlikely with a big pot with 4 people in
    Posted by loololollo
     Excuse me loolllloo or whatever it is but but please don't call anyone an idiot for a having a different opinion on the forum. You, yourself, have put up a lot of posts which have recieved a lot of attention and advice. A lot of this advice has not been taken by yourself as evidenced by comments on further posts. You should apologise to the person you abused or you will find the attention your posts recieve diminishing. Personally i've stopped because i'm FED UP of writing 'raise pre' in every one. Give an opinion by all means but insulting others with your vast knowledge is a no no, imo. You were out of order, sir!
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Would you call this? :  Excuse me loolllloo or whatever it is but but please don't call anyone an idiot for a having a different opinion on the forum. You, yourself, have put up a lot of posts which have recieved a lot of attention and advice. A lot of this advice has not been taken by yourself as evidenced by comments on further posts. You should apologise to the person you abused or you will find the attention your posts recieve diminishing. Personally i've stopped because i'm FED UP of writing 'raise pre' in every one. Give an opinion by all means but insulting others with your vast knowledge is a no no, imo. You were out of order, sir!
    Posted by profman15
    where did i call anyone an idiot?
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Would you call this? : where did i call anyone an idiot?
    Posted by loololollo
    You called someone a `dope` fella. I`m really getting tilted by reading your posts atm.

Nice telling off by profman there, you dont listen to anyone when they try to help.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Would you call this? : You called someone a `dope` fella. I`m really getting tilted by reading your posts atm. Nice telling off by profman there, you dont listen to anyone when they try to help.
    Posted by davelufc
    dope doesnt mean idiot, dope can mean anything, dope can mean good idea eg - dope idea, this is in the context which means good , bye