You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

50 NL check or value bet river

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
jakealexSmall blind £0.25£0.25£24.01IDONKCALLUBig blind £0.50£0.75£60.07 Your hole cardsQ10   rufino12Call £0.50£1.25£31.63willhongukFold    geordiegigFold    ladd02Call £0.50£1.75£10.84jakealexCall £0.25£2.00£23.76IDONKCALLUCheck    Flop  Q10A   jakealexCheck    IDONKCALLUBet £1.50£3.50£58.57rufino12Call £1.50£5.00£30.13ladd02Fold    jakealexFold    Turn  6   IDONKCALLUBet £3.50£8.50£55.07rufino12Call £3.50£12.00£26.63River  8  

Comments

• edited January 2013
    LOL the perils of playing OOP. I end up in spots like this all the time so would be interested to see the opinions as I'm scratching around for thinner value spots liek this just to try and beat the rake and variance at NL4.

I reckon bet-fold. What do u know about the villain? Is he likely to steal if you try and check down?
  • edited January 2013
    I'd definitely bet for value on river.  A check and you're likely to lose the pot anyway as most players would come back at you even if theyve missed their draw (hearts in this case) and seeing that the last card has thrown open many other draws (J9 straight/clubs) and youre likely to fold to a bet.  He could easily have a rag ace as well.  Fold to a reraise though unless you got notes on the player...
  • edited January 2013
     easy bet vs fish
  • edited January 2013
    b/f if you think oppo will check back worse and will rarley bluff.

c/c if you think oppo will value bet worse and will bluff his missed draws a high % of the time. 

Without reads vs random fish then b/f is best. 

• edited January 2013
    yeah I would go about it two ways like curt said if you think your opponent will bet missed draws/worse hands I c/c

but if no been playin with opponent long and dont have much info on them I prob take the standard line of b/f anything from £6-9 ish
  • edited January 2013
    Genuinely curious. Why would you bet/fold but check/call?  If you bet/fold you will lose the pot 100% of the time. If you check/call you are more than likely putting in the same amount of money as a bet/fold but you get to showdown where your hand may well be good. 
    Check/call (unless they jam the river) would be my favoured way. I may well be wrong though and interested in thoughts. 
  • edited January 2013
    @MeWillows, My take after a bit of mulling..
    Bet/Fold extracts value from weak Ax or worse made hand that may just check behind you: +EV
    Bet/Fold lessens the chance of the villain betting/shoving river as a bluff, bluff betting the river is easy for the villain if you check, where as a river re-raise bluff takes a lot of balls : +EV ("If you bet/fold you will lose the pot 100% of the time" <-What?? How??)

So yes the cost of b/f and c/c is the same but b/f has a higher expectation - simples :)
  • edited January 2013
    because you miss value when he checks behind
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: 50 NL check or value bet river:
    Genuinely curious. Why would you bet/fold but check/call?  If you bet/fold you will lose the pot 100% of the time. If you check/call you are more than likely putting in the same amount of money as a bet/fold but you get to showdown where your hand may well be good.  Check/call (unless they jam the river) would be my favoured way. I may well be wrong though and interested in thoughts. 
    Posted by mewillows
    Only if they are raising you if they flat with a wrose hand then we are winning the pot. They could easily be calling us here with a 1 pair hand
  • edited January 2013

Easy bet/fold right?

Half pot. fiver. whatever.
  • edited January 2013
    What curt said
  • edited January 2013
    As others have said bet fold against a random
  • edited January 2013
    You'd c/c if villain will only flat draws otf/ott and when he misses he will take a stab at the pot once checked to, so sometimes c/c will be more +ev, but here I just bet vs random fish cos he's paying us off with all his rag A's
  • edited January 2013
    i bet around £4-50-£5 on the river, we expect him to have a weak Ace a lot, we may get called by Qx, k10 etc, ... we cant expect to get raised much on the river as a backdoor flush has come so a few hands that beat us just flat, we get raised by j9, kj, flush ... but i think there's plenty of value there to bet, and 4.50ish feels the right amount.