You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL50: Turning pocket 99's into a bluff oop...

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
sbSmall blind  £0.25 £0.25 £98.70
bbBig blind  £0.50 £0.75 £108.92
 Your hole cards

utgFold     
utg 1Call  £0.50 £1.25 £65.41
WHOAMI196 Raise  £2.50 £3.75 £47.50
Villain (btn)Call  £2.50 £6.25 £65.30
sbFold     
bbFold     
utg 1Fold     
Flop

WHOAMI196 Bet  £3.50 £9.75 £44.00
Villain (btn)Call  £3.50 £13.25 £61.80
Turn

WHOAMI196 Bet  £7.00 £20.25 £37.00
Villain (btn)Call  £7.00 £27.25 £54.80
River

• K

WHOAMI196 All-in  £37.00 £64.25 £0.00
Villain (btn)...     

Being a sad t_at i am, noted this hand whilst in game so i could check it oot after, and after looking at it im undecided on the thoughts of my play :S.

Villain is unknown when it comes to cash but i know he is a decent mtt/sng player and has not been doing anything out of the ordinary.  

Basic thoughts is that i put him on a hand with showdown value as in a10, q10, k10, 910, etc,(general feel) he snap called my flop bet and snap called my turn bet, and i did not put him on a draw because of that (don't ask why, just felt like a pair). I bet the turn because if i check im likely to lose the hand, and putting him on the range i did i felt i could bluff a lot of rivers.

Questions are , thoughts on the sizing on the flop + turn? overall thoughts on the bluff with the k of clubs falling, clever or dumb? do we ever have S/D value?...

Comments

• edited January 2013
    flop & turn look ok to me
    river looks desperate

if you play value hands like this and get called by 10x then no problem
    Trying to think what other hands you would play this way

idk
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: NL50: Turning pocket 99's into a bluff oop...:
    Trying to think what other hands you would play this way idk
    Posted by rancid
    don't really have to balance my range vs unknown(or villain doesnt need to know what i am capable of, in actual fact i think it helps my bluff more) and so in villains eyes how could i ever be bluffing here ;)?

Hands i may rep on the river, are k10, ak.. flush? vs unknown and i had these hands i would value bet them tbh, but villain isnt to know.

I could have gotten away with betting smaller on the river maybe, but shoving puts maximum pressure, if my reads were spot on that is, i suppose he would snap off k10, but overall i thought the k was likely bad for him.

Desperate, a bit harsh :p, no but i am stubborn and if i think i can win a hand somehow i will try it.
  • edited January 2013
    sizings just look v.weird. I think 99 is too strong a hand to turn into a bluff here, I think he'll sometimes turn up with worse, and when are you ever overbet shoving here, I think we can bet 19 and still fold out a lot of 10x's
  • edited January 2013
    sizings just look v.weird. I think 99 is too strong a hand to turn into a bluff here, I think he'll sometimes turn up with worse, and when are you ever overbet shoving here, I think we can bet 19 and still fold out a lot of 10x's
    Posted by percival09
    Danger of betting 19 is we are more likely to get hero called imo.

99 is rarely good here, am i betting 19 for value :S, or do i check call seems bad either way to me, it is likely to go chk, chk but he shows a 10 often, he could have Ac8x i suppose.

Percival you cant say sizing is weird withought stating why, although flop sizing is a tad off, and pre isolating a cs, 5x is fine imo(standard)

• edited January 2013
    betting just over 1/2 pot twice and overbet shoving otr is just weird imo. i doubt youd do this with a flush cos it loses value vs a weak l/c range
    your bet sizing just looks like youre betting for value otf obv and ott, and then you think the K changes his range so much so u just shove. villain obv isnt that bril so I do think youre ahead of some of his l/c range. id like this more if you had 55. 
    also if villain is passive, he might even just flat ott w/ a flush. So while the river card is good for our perceived value range I do think we can just check otr expecting to be good sometimes, and if we do bet otr, we are obviously turning our hand into a bluff trying to make 10x fold, and in which case i think we can bet 17-19. but i think i just prefer checking
  • edited January 2013
    hes either got it or he doesnt, why you going all in here?¬!?!?
  • edited January 2013
    hes either got it or he doesnt, why you going all in here?¬!?!?
    Posted by loololollo
    your post makes no sense
  • edited January 2013
    betting just over 1/2 pot twice and overbet shoving otr is just weird imo. i doubt youd do this with a flush cos it loses value vs a weak l/c range your bet sizing just looks like youre betting for value otf obv and ott, and then you think the K changes his range so much so u just shove. villain obv isnt that bril so I do think youre ahead of some of his l/c range. id like this more if you had 55.  also if villain is passive, he might even just flat ott w/ a flush. So while the river card is good for our perceived value range I do think we can just check otr expecting to be good sometimes, and if we do bet otr, we are obviously turning our hand into a bluff trying to make 10x fold, and in which case i think we can bet 17-19. but i think i just prefer checking
    Posted by percival09
    nope, i put him on a lot of 10s. On the river K, other than k10 i cant see it helping his range much. Since i have 99s i cant see him having many draws either, so his range on the river looks like A10 combos, k10, 10js, q10 and a passively played jj.

I think villain is pretty standard(he could be good, but i dont know) he is not calling with many 8s, A8 could be the bottom of his range but that would be bad, so i think i rule that out. 

If a low card falls on the river i check, but i will lose the pot often as he has a 10 a large % of the time IMO.

17-19 could work, and it may achieve the same as a shove idk.

Question,... if you could see villains hand, say its A10, what would you do check? bet 19, or shove? 
  • edited January 2013
    think like what percival says £20ish still gets lots of 10's to fold

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: NL50: Turning pocket 99's into a bluff oop... : nope, i put him on a lot of 10s. On the river K, other than k10 i cant see it helping his range much. S ince i have 99s i cant see him having many draws either, so his range on the river looks like A10 combos, k10, 10js, q10 and a passively played jj. I think villain is pretty standard(he could be good, but i dont know) he is not calling with many 8s, A8 could be the bottom of his range but that would be bad, so i think i rule that out.  If a low card falls on the river i check, but i will lose the pot often as he has a 10 a large % of the time IMO. 17-19 could work, and it may achieve the same as a shove idk. Question,... if you could see villains hand, say its A10, what would you do check? bet 19, or shove? 
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    he can have so many flushes. loads of random Ax ones
    I think a 3rd barrel on this board should prob make most 10x's fold yeah, even if we bet 19, we can prob go less sometimes. 

id want more info on villain before doing this, because we dont really know if he's flatting worse than 10x otf and ott, if he flats fd's etc...
  • edited January 2013
    S.P.E.W. spells spew! You still beat some hands (A8 with Ac, J9, 97, stubbon 77, Ac-broadway that peels flop just cos they do). People don't fold Tx on this board that frequently, and ob shoving looks super suspicious unless you balance this ALOT with nut hands too.
  • edited January 2013
    S.P.E.W. spells spew! You still beat some hands (A8 with Ac, J9, 97, stubbon 77, Ac-broadway that peels flop just cos they do). People don't fold Tx on this board that frequently, and ob shoving looks super suspicious unless you balance this ALOT with nut hands too.
    Posted by CoxyLboro

lol jesus if coxy calls it spew you're under it.
  • edited January 2013
    Posted by CoxyLboro
    it is a bit i admit,... so ref ur post, i cant put too many 9s in his range 1. because i have 2 x9s, also i open 5x pre i cant see him flatting j9, 97 or even a8, villain did not seem the type tbh, 77-Ac/broadway is plausible but A10 makes more sense.

Shoving is questionable, but what value hand can villain call with on the river? k10, flush (did not put him on the flush, he snap called the turn bet, to me this did not suggest the made flush, i know this may be a weak read though..) and my feeling was that he would raise all his strong value hands on the turn.

So my thinking was shoving could get a 10 to fold, even jacks, and that it was unlikely i would run into a monster, so is shoving a freeroll? lol.

Coxy can i ask, how would you approach the turn and river?