You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

how much does it take for weak pairs to fold

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
with so many reraises and a shove on the flop how can this person not see a premium pair
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Bihitas Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £5.69
craigcu12 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.71
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

hefty122 Call  £0.04 £0.10 £2.85
bevcal63 Raise  £0.08 £0.18 £10.03
stax2227 Fold     
step7 Raise  £0.24 £0.42 £10.95
Bihitas Fold     
craigcu12 Raise  £0.36 £0.78 £3.35
hefty122 Fold     
bevcal63 Raise  £0.48 £1.26 £9.55
step7 Call  £0.32 £1.58 £10.63
craigcu12 Raise  £0.32 £1.90 £3.03
bevcal63 Call  £0.16 £2.06 £9.39
step7 Call  £0.16 £2.22 £10.47
Flop

craigcu12 All-in  £3.03 £5.25 £0.00
bevcal63 Call  £3.03 £8.28 £6.36
step7 Fold     
craigcu12 Show
  • A
  • A

bevcal63 Show

Turn

River

bevcal63 Win Straight to the 10 £7.65  £14.01

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Your pre-flop raises practically tell everyone at the table that you have AA. Stop clicking the min-raise button.

You somehow managed to make a 6-bet without getting it all-in. That should not happen. Work on your bet sizing - I think I've said that before. Use this as a starting point for your pre-flop betting:

Opening raise: 3x + 1 per limper.
    3-bet: 3x the original raise.
    4-bet: 2.5x the 3-bet (or all-in, depending on stacks and the size of the pot. If your 4-bet is 35% of your remaining stack or more, just shove)

If you're making a 5-bet, it should just be a shove because there should already be a huge amount in the pot. (Whether you should ever 5-bet any hand pre-flop is another question which you should think about)

That's just a very rough guide. At NL4 people often advocate raising much bigger than this and only playing premium hands. You absolutely must not be clicking min-raise repeatedly pre-flop in cash games.

In tournaments, we can make our opening raises a min-raise if nobody else has limped before us. In cash this is a bad idea. Even in MTT's our 3-bets or 4-bets should never be min-raises.
  • edited January 2013
    4 bet bigger next time, would have got rid of me with KQo waiting to flop big and stack you - it was pretty obvious u had JJ+. The other player was calling anyways (we'd just seen them call off 60BB with 88 pre).

Again you falling into the "I might scare them off" trap - if we had both folded, so be it - you pick up a nice pot right there.

A bigger 4-bet would have made shoving the flop easier, 3quid into 2 was clunky. Shoving pre would have been over the top, you're not looking for 77 to fold! Other than that just chalk up another cooler, UL.
  • edited January 2013

Your question also seems to suggest that you wanted your opponent to fold his 77. WHY? He's miles behind when the money goes in. That's great news.

Sometimes the worst hand wins. It's annoying when it happens against us but that's the game. Be happy to make good decisions and don't worry about the results. If you keep making good decisions, those results will come...

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: how much does it take for weak pairs to fold:
    Use this as a starting point for your pre-flop betting: Opening raise: 3x + 1 per limper. 3-bet: 3x the original raise. 4-bet: 2.5x the 3-bet
    Posted by BorinLoner
    i would argue that this is wrong

20p minimum, then +1BB per limper
    3bet sizing depends on position
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: how much does it take for weak pairs to fold : i would argue that this is wrong 20p minimum, then +1BB per limper 3bet sizing depends on position
    Posted by smitalol
    It's a guide. It's definitely not "wrong" but you don't have to follow it precisely. There are many people that play NL4 that like to make bigger raises.

3-betting to 3x the original raise is also pretty standard. If you want to vary from that, there's no problem. Just be sure why you're doing it and make a bet you feel best accomplishes your goals. The min-3-bet is almost never a good idea.
  • edited January 2013
    I've found you can't stick with any "standard" - you have to react to the table. Borin's figures are optimal against reasonable players who understand risk/reward for their starting hands - most NL4ers don't. You sit at a nitty table and you may not get any action with 5x opens. There are spots where I can steal the blinds from multitabling rocks all night with 2.5x opens. They point is there is no right or wrong, you just have to adjust.
  • edited January 2013
    I've found you can't stick with any "standard" - you have to react to the table. Borin's figures are optimal against reasonable players who understand risk/reward for their starting hands - most NL4ers don't. You sit at a nitty table and you may not get any action with 5x opens. There are spots where I can steal the blinds from multitabling rocks all night with 2.5x opens. They point is there is no right or wrong, you just have to adjust.
    Posted by step7
    exactly

the word 'standard' is weird yet people seem to throw it about to explain away things

3x opening at these levels against the types of people that play them is too small unless you like going 4way+ to the flop with QQ+

if someone is going to pay £1 near enough every hand to see a flop and you hold premiums, charge them it