You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How can I adjust a full-ring tournament strategy to a 6-max table

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Hi guys, I'm fairly new to poker, while browsing online I came across a strategy that I think might improve my freeroll MTT game. The strategy is about which hands to play at different table positions and game stages in a FREEROLL MTT tournament. However, it describes what to do in a full ring (10 positions) table but most MTTs on sky are 6-Max tables. The strategy describes UTG1, UTG2 and UTG3 as early positions, then 2 middle positions then Cut-off and button as late positions with the SB and BB completing the round. I have two questions, if anyone can help I will greatly appreciate:
1. In a 6-Max, which positions are early middle and late since there are only 4 positions if you exclude SB and BB?
2. The strategy suggests that in the early stages of the game (i.e +25BB), I should generally shove pre-flop with AA, KK, QQ, AK regardless of position even if someone has raised before me. It also says in late position, I should also shove JJ and AQ if there has not been a raise. My question is, since these suggestions are for a full ring table, by how much do I loosen this hand range to adjust for a 6-max to achieve the same objectives? Please note that I'm not asking you to comment on the merits of this strategy i.e whether it's good or bad [ it's aimed at freerolls where nomal raises aren't respected by fish - no disrespect to fish, i'm still a fish myself] but I'm asking more about the maths/probabilities i.e on a 6-max table, what hand range would achive the same objectives that AA, KK, QQ, AK can achive on a full-ring table?

I'm sorry it's a bit long-winded but that's the only way I could put it across. 

Comments

• edited January 2013
    The guide sounds whacky but I wouldn't adjust it you think it's rigt even though there are less players to act. It sounds like you're just looking for calls from hands you crush and there are still enough players at the table to call you in a freeroll even at a 6 handed table - I would imagine you might blind out in a turbo MTT tho waiting for these hands?? Update us on how u fair. 

If you want to compare seats just as an academic exercise, remove UTG1/UTG2 MP1/MP2 and you're pretty much there. The HJ seat (or MP2) is usually just called MP in 6max: (Early: UTG MP) (Late:CO D) SB BB
  • edited January 2013
    Easiest way to adapt to 6-max, just pretened its 9 seater, but the first 3 people to act have folded.
  • edited January 2013
    I haven't read your entire post, but number 3 looks bad. Why would you just open ship 25bb in a 6max game with AA/KK? Just open standard and play some pokerz. Has Larry set up a new account? ;-)
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: How can I adjust a full-ring tournament strategy to a 6-max table:
    Easiest way to adapt to 6-max, just pretened its 9 seater, but the first 3 people to act have folded.
    Posted by 1267
    THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

Such an important concept to grasp imo. I still see regs at 500nl+ failing to put this into practice. Definitely worth noting, good shout 1267.
  • edited January 2013
    word of advise light a fire and throw the strategy guide in it before it destroys your game anyone who says open ship 25bbs with aa is wrong
  • edited January 2013
    Do you people not read? The OP asked not to comment on the merits of the strategy. Yes, we know that shipping 25bbs with AA is wrong but if it's a freeroll and you get people at the table calling shoves super wide, then how can it be bad?