You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Why call?

Dudeskin8 Small blind  200.00 200.00 2390.00
SUNBEAM Big blind  400.00 600.00 4700.00
  Your hole cards
  • K

Herotozero Fold     
terrilei21 Fold     
Dudeskin8 All-in  2390.00 2990.00 0.00
SUNBEAM Call  2190.00 5180.00 2510.00
Dudeskin8 Show
  • K

SUNBEAM Show

Flop

• Q
  • A

Turn

River

SUNBEAM Win Pair of 9s 5180.00  7690.00
I wish bad calls could be punished....

Comments

• edited November 2009

Not the worst call in the world, id presume my 9s n 5s were live, and u have half his stack. 400 already invested as bb. I know im behind here with 95s but sometimes gotta risk it for a biskit to try n win the tourny!
    He got unlucky to run into king 5 rather than ace king. Then lucky to suk out.

I still fold but looking at the blinds/stack sizes, I see why hes called. Tried to think of a logical/strategic reason for him calling, hes probably just closed his eyes, hit call and prayed.lol

Hard lines, DOHH
  • edited November 2009
    Also may depend on history, were you raising into him a lot, may have just got peeved off with you
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Why call?:
    Also may depend on history, were you raising into him a lot, may have just got peeved off with you
    Posted by Torryladd
    Well it was push/fold mode in a DYM, and I was only goin in about 1 in 3 so never put sustained pressure on him, never like to with fish as this can happen. He seemed pretty secure in terms of donk calls but this was a surprise. Oh well guess it serves me right to move all in at the right time.
  • edited November 2009
    Guess its the old answer then, cos he can, peeves me off as well ul
  • edited November 2009
    waterbutt Small blind  75.00 75.00 4780.00
    howdareu Big blind  150.00 225.00 1095.00
      Your hole cards

Dudeskin8 All-in  1605.00 1830.00 0.00
    Sarah88 Call  1605.00 3435.00 2690.00
    waterbutt Fold     
    howdareu Fold     
    Dudeskin8 Show

Sarah88 Show
    • A

Flop

• A

Turn

River

Sarah88 Win Two Pairs, Aces and 2s 3435.00  6125.00

Rag prevails again
  • edited December 2009
    really difficult one this, can't even begin to get my head around it. I suggest you ask compo for his opinion--LOL
  • edited December 2009
    THE FIRST EXAMPLE IF YOUR SHOVING 1 IN 3 HES PROBABLY GOT YOU DOWN AS SHOVING WITH ANY FACE CARD THE FACT HE HAD RUBBISH PROBABLY HELPED HIM TO CALL KNOWING HIS CHANCES OF HAVING 2 LIVE CARDS WERE GOOD AND HES ALSO GOT THE FLUSH DRAW. IF HE DOESNT HIT HES STILL GOT CHIPS TO GET BACK IN WITH. 
  • edited December 2009
    THE SECOND EXAMPLE IS POSSIBLY BECAUSE SHE THINKS YOUR TRYING TO BULLY THE BB WHOS SHORT STACKED AND SOME PEOPLE JUST LIKE SUITED ACES 
  • edited December 2009
    You know when someone beats you with something so terrible you start trying to explain why what they did was TECHNICALLY WRONG in the chatbox like a complete loser?

Blinds at 15/30, folded to small blind. SHOVES (!) about 1,200 in. I'm in the bb, have about 1,500 and call with QQ with absolutely no idea what he could have. He turns KT, hits his king. I'm less raging than just baffled really and I'm asking him why he's making that play - he has to take the blind 40 times for it to be profitable and I'm sure the chances of me having a hand that would call an all in and beating him are way way higher. Anyway, he's saying he 'noes da odds, i'm a math maja'. Happy ending as, having sucked out on nearly everyone on the table, he gets beaten down a bit, shoves a6 and I make what he describes as a 'donk call' with 88. Still, hate how idiots can bring me down to their level in the chat...
  • edited December 2009
    You know when someone beats you with something so terrible you start trying to explain why what they did was TECHNICALLY WRONG in the chatbox like a complete loser? Blinds at 15/30, folded to small blind. SHOVES (!) about 1,200 in. I'm in the bb, have about 1,500 and call with QQ with absolutely no idea what he could have. He turns KT, hits his king. I'm less raging than just baffled really and I'm asking him why he's making that play - he has to take the blind 40 times for it to be profitable and I'm sure the chances of me having a hand that would call an all in and beating him are way way higher. Anyway, he's saying he 'noes da odds, i'm a math maja'. Happy ending as, having sucked out on nearly everyone on the table, he gets beaten down a bit, shoves a6 and I make what he describes as a 'donk call' with 88. Still, hate how idiots can bring me down to their level in the chat...
    Posted by Majj
    He's not bothered about the money. If the buy in to me is insignificaant, in a tourny where the top 3 places r very significant to me, then ill go for it most times with any decent holding. And alot of the times with a poor holding (when theres 3/4 players all in before me) This is definately the case in big fields.

Theres no other logical reason for shoving as u sed with a 30 bb and a 1500 stack.

No point trying to find a logical reason for it, n his comments afterwards were purely to wind u up, i do it myself.

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    mysterio83 Small blind  50.00 50.00 1310.00
    maf68 Big blind  100.00 150.00 1500.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

marshall12 Fold     
    kemp1942 Fold     
    Dudeskin8 Raise  300.00 450.00 1665.00
    MEL39 Fold     
    mysterio83 Fold     
    maf68 Call  200.00 650.00 1300.00
    Flop

• K
    • J

maf68 Check     
    Dudeskin8 Bet  200.00 850.00 1465.00
    maf68 Call  200.00 1050.00 1100.00
    Turn

maf68 Check     
    Dudeskin8 Check     
    River

maf68 Check     
    Dudeskin8 Check     
    maf68 Show

Dudeskin8 Show
    • Q
    • Q

Dudeskin8 Win Pair of Queens 1050.00  2515.00
    Firstly, yes I won the hand so no bad beat story, but this is surely at an all new level of fishing, one which is way beyond comprenhension for simple minds like ourselves. I will do more research tonight. ;)
  • edited December 2009
    DUDE IF YOUR GOING TO RIDICULE ANOUTHER PLAYERS PLAY ITS UNFAIR TO PUT THERE NAME IN M8
  • edited December 2009
    DUDE IF YOUR GOING TO RIDICULE ANOUTHER PLAYERS PLAY ITS UNFAIR TO PUT THERE NAME IN M8
    Posted by BADBOY985
    LMAO !
  • edited December 2009
    to be fair to the other players.. your play hasn't been outstanding...

Pushing with K5.. with 4 rounds of blinds left... not a lot but under the circumstances in a game of survival its enough just!...   what did you expect a call off that would have pleased you?? (i'm sure 95 would have been up there and he drew a 9.. just bad luck)  but theres around 40% of hands that are stronger and when you do get a caller with K5, on average you only have a 37% of winning.... (unlucky as it goes in this case) not really a nice one to push you life on the line with.. you probably would have got a better hand within the next 3 deals.. maybe even got a walk for another round or seen two other players all in which makes you and odds on favourite to cash????

Again 88 is only a pair of 8's... if you knew the flop was coming A K Q and you had 88 would you still push to try and win a poxy 225 chips?

and as for the geezer having 8c 10c.. can understand the call preflop a slight defend of blinds which there is nothing wrong with from time to time with cards like that.. and post flop... 200 to win 1050 if hit a 9 hit on turn/river... maybe he/she even thought a 10 was good enough after that weakish continuation post flop bet

another point.... how do you expect to get paid if people dont make "bad" calls??

I'm no pro, and only learning the game myself, so you can choose how you play but just think what your doing when you push all in... your only going to get called by better hands.. so is it worth putting your tourney life on the line with nothing cards for nothing pots.. more considerated raises still ask questions but gives you the option to back out if its a mare flop and/or if there hand is stronger..

also DYM is a game of survival.... if i am in 3rd with 1800 chips and someone else is in 1st with 10,000 chips when the bubble gets k/o'd.. we still get the same payout.. so you dont have to make kamikaze moves pre-flop
  • edited December 2009
    to be fair to the other players.. your play hasn't been outstanding... Pushing with K5.. with 4 rounds of blinds left... not a lot but under the circumstances in a game of survival its enough just!...   what did you expect a call off that would have pleased you?? (i'm sure 95 would have been up there and he drew a 9.. just bad luck)  but theres around 40% of hands that are stronger and when you do get a caller with K5, on average you only have a 37% of winning.... (unlucky as it goes in this case) not really a nice one to push you life on the line with.. you probably would have got a better hand within the next 3 deals.. maybe even got a walk for another round or seen two other players all in which makes you and odds on favourite to cash???? Again 88 is only a pair of 8's... if you knew the flop was coming A K Q and you had 88 would you still push to try and win a poxy 225 chips? and as for the geezer having 8c 10c.. can understand the call preflop a slight defend of blinds which there is nothing wrong with from time to time with cards like that.. and post flop... 200 to win 1050 if hit a 9 hit on turn/river... maybe he/she even thought a 10 was good enough after that weakish continuation post flop bet another point.... how do you expect to get paid if people dont make "bad" calls?? I'm no pro, and only learning the game myself, so you can choose how you play but just think what your doing when you push all in... your only going to get called by better hands.. so is it worth putting your tourney life on the line with nothing cards for nothing pots.. more considerated raises still ask questions but gives you the option to back out if its a mare flop and/or if there hand is stronger.. also DYM is a game of survival.... if i am in 3rd with 1800 chips and someone else is in 1st with 10,000 chips when the bubble gets k/o'd.. we still get the same payout.. so you dont have to make kamikaze moves pre-flop
    Posted by cummins
    This is ok to say earlier on but when you have 10 BB's there's only one move, can you honestly say you'd put a raise in and fold to an all-in?