You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The ups and downs of my first 12 months.

_G__G_
edited January 2013 in Poker Chat
Hi everyone hope you all wellLet me start with a bit of background in information, I been playing poker for over 12 months now, I started with no idea how to play, I new the basics but that was it, I had no bank roll, still haven’t really, I decided to put £20 a week in my account, I could afford to lose this, i have no problem with this all though it was flexible at times lol.
When I first started didn’t know what to play so played 2/4 cash, I did what I imagine every new players did as soon as I got an A or a draw of some description, I bet and bet and bet again, didn’t learn kept doing it, played for a few months, started playing BH, had a bit of success with it, final tabled a dozen or so times won one nothing major but I was pleased, then that dropped of, so I started DYMs up and down with that, started playing 3-4 tables, that was a learning curve, played the tables but not have time to study the players and what they were doing, started chasing C4P now I was playing every spare minute.
I became a poker addict, on the tables every second I could, not a winning player, although I gave myself 12months or so to try and understand how to play this wonderful game well a basic knowledge, not worried about the money, I have always said you have to pay to learn.
I got to a stage that I was not enjoying myself, so I decided to pack up playing poker altogether, I didn’t look at or think about poker for a couple of weeks not interested in it, then I started to take an interest again but this time I spent a week or so just looking a some of my hand I had played and I found a loads of problems, no surprise there, bet sizing, hand ranges, to many tables, betting with bad draws, you name it I done it.
So I made some changes, and started again, back to basic just playing 1 table, 2/4p cash, changed my starting hand range, try not to get involved to much with marginal hands, I can concentrate more, I am getting to know how other players play, I am really enjoying my game again, not going round like an head less chicken and chasing everything, just taking my time,.
How I know I have learnt a bit was last night, I normally pick my tables now , have a look see what going on and play, last night all tables were full couldn’t start a table so had to wait, one came available and I joined it, I don’t mind who’s on the table, better the players the more you learn,But I didn’t feel comfortable so I came off the table and shut down for the night, a few months ago I would have carried on felt terrible and lost.
I hope this year I can carry on improving, I play the same as I am now and see where I am in a couple of months, when I feel it’s the right time I might move to two tables and so on, but I am not looking any further to my next game and hope I can still play steadily.
Good luck to everyone and hope to have some comments with this post.
Glen

Comments

• edited January 2013
     May i wish you all the best Glen.
  • edited January 2013
    good luck Glen.
    looks as though you have thought it through well and have got a good plan in place,which is good.
    also,seems to me you have decided on playing cash which is fine but imo just about the hardest discipline to crack,maybe with the exception of tournaments,not sure though.
    for building my b/roll i chose the DYM route,and found it relatively easy compared to cash.
    not saying you should do the same as we are all different...just saying.
    hope you stay strong and can see it through.table selection is important and avoiding the regs is advisable and will help you for sure,as i recently found out playing them can be expensive,although enjoyable and helpfull for learning.
    as with anything new,it takes time so keep at it.don't worry if you go on a downswing either,as there will always be an upswing to follow,hopefully.
    gl buddy
    :)
    dev
  • edited January 2013
    Good honest post, well done and enjoy your game..
  • edited January 2013
    Very nice post, sir. All the best for 2013.
  • edited January 2013
    Likes this post a honest post  wish u the best of luck

p.s   table selection is key   and  look on tables for 10 mins or so see what the tables are like best of luck   g
  • edited January 2013
    Hi G

Nice post m8. Sometimes its best to stand back and reassess. You appear to have done that with a good honest post. As for the ups and downs of the past 12 months...i've just seen your avatar so i would have thought you'd be used to that m8!!!! Sorry m8, i'm a Blue and just couldn't resist....all the best fella.
  • _G__G_
    edited January 2013
    thanks everyone for you kind words.

as for Profman 15 keep looking over your shoulder we coming for you, the toffees that is lol

Good look everyone

Glen
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: The ups and downs of my first 12 months.:
    thanks everyone for you kind words. as for Profman 15 keep looking over your shoulder we coming for you, the toffees that is lol Good look everyone Glen
    Posted by _G_
     HI G
    I've no doubt of that but all those millions you spend seem to weigh you down. Sturridge and Suarez look like they may be a good partnership though. If WE only had YOUR money then you'd see a team. Moyes has been brilliant for what he's had to spend.
  • _G__G_
    edited January 2013
    Thanks dev

i am going to give low cash games a go for a month or so, probably look at it again at the end of feb and see where iam then, ill have a good look at my hand history over a reasonable time span say middle of feb, and see if can see some obvious leaks to my game, look at my bet sizing to see if could have done better, iam not trying to change everything all at once, trying to do better with the hands i get, one thing i have done is not play so many hands, changed my hand ranges, and above all watch and consentrat on the players at the table, its helping.

anyway Dev if i decide to try DYMs, ill ask for a bit of advice then.

Good luck at the cash tables

Glen
  • _G__G_
    edited January 2013
    Hi profman
    Yeh i agree, i just hope that they can now start to play like i no they can, with concistance, i know the other half of the city wont but hay, good luck to the toffees.

Glen