You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Never pick the right time to squeeze

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Did i get drawn in,,,, to confident,,, or just dam unlucky????

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancescarle1Small blind 40.0040.006610.001281Big blind 80.00120.006340.00 Your hole cardsA5   mattrenz11Fold    Rumen1ggeCall 80.00200.009891.25porter1989Fold    lukempes27Call 80.00280.0016235.00scarle1Fold    1281Raise 320.00600.006020.00Rumen1ggeFold    lukempes27Call 320.00920.0015915.00Flop  335   1281Bet 1280.002200.004740.00lukempes27Call 1280.003480.0014635.00Turn  8   1281Bet 3480.006960.001260.00lukempes27Call 3480.0010440.0011155.00River  2   1281All-in 1260.0011700.000.00lukempes27Call 1260.0012960.009895.001281ShowA5   lukempes27Show3Q   lukempes27WinThree 3s12960.00 22855.00Close 

Comments

• edited January 2013

No excuse to lose 80 bbs here.

If you want to squeeze you need to make your post flop bets alot smaller.

Your sizing post flop is just madness!!

Good to see aggression, but this is not well thought out imo, against his stacksize, it's suicide.

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Never pick the right time to squeeze:
    No excuse to lose 80 bbs here. If you want to squeeze you need to make your post flop bets alot smaller. Your sizing post flop is just madness!! Good to see aggression, but this is not well thought out imo, against his stacksize, it's suicide.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    ok fair enough on your comments,,,,,, but anything on the call pre flop?

anf it's called a C bet, how was i supposed to know i'd run into a 3

then i was pot committed

really look forward to your reply
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Never pick the right time to squeeze : ok fair enough on your comments,,,,,, but anything on the call pre flop? anf it's called a C bet, how was i supposed to know i'd run into a 3 then i was pot committed really look forward to your reply
    Posted by 1281
    he can call pre with anything he wants. the idea of a squeeze is to win the pot pre usually, but with these blinds you have built a pot oop with a dodgy hand. its much better to attempt a squeese in mid/late stages of mtts where u can pick up dead money with more worth to us...

by making our c-bet much smaller, like 1/2 pot, it gives us more options. We can bet fold the turn, as our sizing does not commit us and we get a clearer indication of our opponants range, play it this way u can still have ~4- 4.5k chips left, as opposed to none. 

• edited January 2013
    C-bets are not normally bigger than the size of the pot lol.

For a pot of 920, something like 500 would have been fine
  • edited January 2013
    Hi 1281

Well surprised to see Q3s call but he is getting almost 2 to 1 pot odds and is in position at a relatively early stage of T. Maybe he felt that a flush draw would be worthwhile trying to get but then trip threes hit which you would expect would you.
     You make your ctn bet which is a bit big as by the river you don't have a bet to push him off the pot. Your pot+ bet on the flop was too big . Probably a little bit more than 1/2 pot is enough. He calls so alarm bells must be ringing surely. Even overpair has you beat now and its a rainbow board so he wasn't calling for the draw. I don't think you should bet on turn now.
    Sorry if i've repeated others but i prefer to have a 'bash' before reading the experts above.
  • edited January 2013
    Hi 1281 Well surprised to see Q3s call but he is getting almost 2 to 1 pot odds and is in position at a relatively early stage of T. Maybe he felt that a flush draw would be worthwhile trying to get but then trip threes hit which you would expect would you.  You make your ctn bet which is a bit big as by the river you don't have a bet to push him off the pot. Your pot+ bet on the flop was too big . Probably a little bit more than 1/2 pot is enough. He calls so alarm bells must be ringing surely. Even overpair has you beat now and its a rainbow board so he wasn't calling for the draw. I don't think you should bet on turn now. Sorry if i've repeated others but i prefer to have a 'bash' before reading the experts above.
    Posted by profman15

ok, again thanks for the comments guys,,,, but please guys give justice to the pre flop raise.

or, the fact should a weak 3 should be calling.

watch the 861 channel continously and try and preach what i'm sold so the odd spot of squeezing is justified i thought,,,,

but then again,,,, i show all my bad beat on the forum and my play gets the massive thumbs down!!!

of Lambert i'd expect nothing otherwise and i'm sure his sky poker contract must  be in the post,,, but to realy average LOW END PLAYERS this to me me is considered a blow out.

again guys i'm looking for comments
  • edited January 2013
    why do you raise pre? is checking back not the best option with A5 oop?

why do you overbet the pot? why do you then insist on going crazy with a pair of 5's? your play gets massive thumbs down cos it's bad. get over it. 
  • edited January 2013
    Why does Lambert get such a hard time? Do I just keep missing all the threads where he randomly abuses people?

Anyway, I want to correct your terminology first, 1281. It might seem a little bit picky but if we aren't all using the same language, it's difficult for us to understand each others meanings:

What you did here pre-flop was not a Squeeze play. A squeeze play would be a 3-bet after a player has raised and another has called. You put in the big 3-bet because the original raiser can have a very wide raising range and is squeezed between you and the caller. He has to be able to beat both your range as the 3-better and the range of the caller, so the raiser cannot now continue unless he has the very top hands. The caller is unlikely to be holding one of those top hands and probably just called because he wanted to play the flop in position. So now he will also be unable to call our 3-bet.

A squeeze play would best be used against a serial raiser, who therefore has a wide opening range, and a serial caller.

I would describe your raise here as charging "Limpers Tax" rather than as a squeeze. It's only a question of terminology and I know that one or two show analysts often use the term "squeeze" when, technically, it doesn't apply. It's a bit of a bugbear of mine...

Anyway, I think you've got the right idea of charging limpers tax but I'd prefer if you did it in position. If you're going to do it out of position, then you should need a stronger hand than A5.

The flop c-bet is far too big, as others have said. If they're holding AT, QJ, 8T or whatever, then they'll fold for a half-pot bet and if they have an over-pair they won't fold on this flop for any bet after limp-calling pre-flop. So a half-pot bet does the job you're after but it's alot cheaper.

After you've been called on the flop, as profman has said, you need to put your opponent on a range of hands: There are no reasonable draws on the flop so you should think he has some sort of made hand. Now on the turn an 8 comes down, which isn't a card that you can reasonably represent if you think you're bluffing - You raised pre-flop and people generally do that with big cards and pocket pairs. This 8 changes nothing and after you've been called on the flop, you can't expect your opponent to fold on this blank card. It's the same story on the river.

Your betting looks as though you thought your 5 was good. You must ask yourself which hands you beat could possibly keep calling down. The answer is that there are none. K5 is the best hand you beat and that wouldn't call pre-flop and then call three streets of betting.

So I like the idea pre-flop, though I'd prefer you made this sort of play from the button than the big blind. On the flop, you can bet half-pot rather than make an overbet. On the turn, you should probably check and look to control the size of the pot but be aware that there's a very good chance that your pair of 5's is not good. So if you face much betting you need to be willing to lay the hand down.

Generally speaking, think more about the texture of the board and what it means your opponents can be holding, as well as the type of hands you can be perceived to be holding. Try to make more of your moves in position. Also work on your bet-sizing.
  • edited January 2013
    Dont know why you guys bother with these people tbh, he asks for comments but when its not comments he wants to hear he gets all moody etc......

You mashed the hand from start to finish end of
  • edited January 2013
    Dont inflate the pot oop as played bet 300 on the flop 1300 is way too big
  • edited January 2013
    I've learnt to never even attempt to squeeze on skypoker
  • edited January 2013
    nice idea pre - but with two limpers in the pot and being oop you need to raise it up a bit more - 400 maybe.

on the flop a bet around 2/3 of the pot is enough

if you still have an opponent at this stage it's a very good chance you are behind, and you don't wanting to be giving any more chips away
  • edited January 2013
    check or raise pre

either is fine

when you raise then it's not a squeeze

the two limpers are not folding so your playing this oop v two

u hit flop, c bet smaller - when you raise pre if you miss you going to c bet yes - so make it smaller

check turn

you turn your hand into a bluff on turn unless you think oppo has worse
  • edited January 2013
    C-bets are not normally bigger than the size of the pot lol. For a pot of 920, something like 500 would have been fine
    Posted by Lambert180

^ This ^
  • edited January 2013
    check pre readless. People dont limp to fold usually early on in tourneys

flop bet smaller

check turn
  • edited January 2013
    check pre readless. People dont limp to fold usually early on in tourneys flop bet smaller check turn
    Posted by grantorino
    thanks guys

points taken