You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this a bad beat or bad decision?

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic

I wanted to know your thoughts on my hand

I am a beginer and starting out at 02/04 cash tables, I was sat for an hour and up about £2.70, I was watching a particular loose aggresive player and he was calling everything always raising pre flop and calling any raises.

I was dealt pocket Js and knew he would call, I was in late position and raised 3x the blind everyone bar him folded, the flop was 3d Jd 8c so I landed three of a kind. He checked so raised 50p he called, at this stage I thought he was playing a flush draw with Diamonds the turn card was 10c so now I had three J's and the flush draw had been missed. So in a bid to scare him off the pot I shoved 3/4 of my money in and he called. 

The river was 7d so flush draw, so now I checked and so did he. I was right he had QKd and had nothing what so ever pre river but kept calling my heavy raises. 

Was this my fault? I thought I was pushing heavy enough to force the fold but he just kept calling.. So frustrated I lost all the money I had built up plus a little extra. 

Any feedback at all would be welcome 

Comments

• edited January 2013

Hopefully a mod will soon move this thread to the clinic. You should post any questions you have about your play in there. That's where those who like to offer advice will look for threads like this.

Anyway, you need to rethink your reasons for betting on the turn. You have the nuts and DO NOT want your opponent to fold. You want him to put as much money in the middle as possible while you have the best hand. If he's holding a flush draw with one card to come, he is a 4:1 underdog to win. If he folds, you get no extra value from his hand which will only win one time in five.

So while, broadly speaking, it sounds as though you did the right thing by betting on the turn and getting him to call, it seems you may have done it for the wrong reasons.

Have a look in your hand history to see if you can find the exact hand. Copy and paste that to this thread and you can get more detailed feedback.

• edited January 2013

Morning Dexter, & welcome to the Community.

People rarely fold flush draws, so this is quite standard.

On THIS occasion he hit, & you lost, but mathematically, the MAJORITY of the time he misses his flush.

Keep doing much the same & you'll be fine, in my opinion anyway.

We get paid more when folks chase draws & miss, but we lose when they hit. They hit less often than they miss though.

Some players complain about players chasing draws, but that makes no sense. We WANT them to chase, & there is nothing wrong with doing it. Always better to be the aggressor than the caller though, as you have two ways of winning the pot, & they only have one way.

You want foks to chase draws, that is how we get paid, but sometimes they get there. It is a cake & eat it thing.   

You should try playing a little Omaha, which really is based upon drawing hands, everyone is drawing. We do not really start with "made hands" in Omaha, even A-A-x-x does not count as a made hand, it is all drawing to hands.

In Hold Em the game is primarily based on "made hands" or on aggression.

• edited January 2013

Ahh, Borin got there first, & made a better reply.

The logic is the same though. 

• edited January 2013
    I think it's all part of poker and agree with the other two posts, You do want to build a pot especially when you are sat with high pairs and knowledge of loose player. Odds were in your favour just unlucky on this occasions. Don't let it put you off be aggressive in those situations those that come in your favour will pay off.

Don't worry about the oppenent either playing so loosely I would assume he will loose his money at some stage to a good hand.