You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Overpair facing a shove/make the nit fold and wait for a better spot on a soft table...

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Basically the table was pretty soft so i felt if i was patient and picked my spots well i could build a nice stack without having to get into any marginal situations, now the player in this hand was not very active at all and the way the action went on the flop my instinct told me to lay it down considering i'd still have a nice stack  and could wait for a better spot , however i just want to see if that is way to nitty in this particular spot. Reflecting on the hand now based on my perception of the player i'm thinking that the majority of hands he plays in this way beat me e.g. qj and flopped sets, with only hands like AQ very unlikely KQ with what im holding and maybe a couple of straight draws im ahead of. So yeah basically given the information provided about my opponent and the board texture is it too nitty to be laying it down, is it a case of getting it in anyway and if i'm beat just accepting its a cooler knowing that folding overpairs to what seems like an ok flop will not be a profitable play long term.
x
Small blind   30.00 30.00 2315.00
x
Big blind   60.00 90.00 3300.00
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

benc Raise   180.00 270.00 5160.00
x
Call   180.00 450.00 1300.00
x
Fold        
x
Fold        
x
Fold        
x
Call   120.00 570.00 3180.00
Flop

• J
  • Q

x
Bet   285.00 855.00 2895.00
benc Raise   900.00 1755.00 4260.00
x
Fold        
x
All-in   2895.00 4650.00  

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Very easy call Benc. This would be a terrible fold for a low buy in mtt on Sky.

Alot of players on Sky with a Queen in their hand will think they have the nuts, ive seen it sooo much in the last few weeks....

Please tell me you made the call :)
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks for the reply goody, yeah i understand your point, against the average player i would be getting it in with this hand 100% in a small stakes mtt. However i had seen this player sit and play tight as a rock not get out of line at all, missing value with some decentish hands, almost playing scared.I felt that that maybe given the soft table circumstances and what felt like a strong read about this particular style meant that laying the hand down and having a good table and good stack to just continue building against a soft line up may have been the best decision for this specific situation. After reflecting on the hand if i'm to assume villain plays very tight pre flop the range of hands he has in this spot which he is willing to get in is, AQ,KQ,Q10s,QS,JS,5S and possibly straight draws. Now as KQ is very unlikely and i'm thinking he is flatting with his straight draws that leaves me with only AQ and Q10s i'm ahead off, and i really don't think he would stack off in that spot with q10 basedon previous hands. At the time with not alot of time to think i felt there was a fair chance i was beat but that was based alot on instinct about the situation, but obviously didn't have the chance to reflect properly on the hand untill i reviewed later on. I did make the call as if i want to be winning tournaments i dont think i can be laying down Ks to that board, i was just interested to see what others felt about the hand in regards to the specific context rather than as a general hand and if it ever could be right to fold there.