You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I probably wouldn't do what he did. - Should I be?

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Ok, first off this isn't a bad beat moan. - I got sucked out on sure, but it's my opinion that I played the hand right and the call by the villain was ...speculative.  after thinking about it, i'm wondering if maybe I'm playing too tight and perhaps I should credit people with it less and take a spin now & again (doesn't seem to work in my favour when I do, but maybe that's just bad luck?)

To set the scene,  This was a Freezing Freeroll and was in the middle of the second hour,

I had min raised a couple of hands in the last orbit (from the cut-off with K-J & in the hijack with A-Qs both times got folds from all (including a fold from an early  limp on the A-Qs hand!)

The villain had been pretty quiet and had only been involved in a few hands since I'd arrived on the table. Thus why I dwelled for a few seconds before making the shove with my Hand. I was expecting a much stronger hand from the villain when they called, very surprised to see what they turned over.

I can't see me ever making that call, ( I might occasionally make the move they did, although possibly not from UTG+1).  My question is, - Should I be? I don't think so, but as I keep getting to mid stages of tournaments & then having this kinda thing happen, I'm starting to think that maybe I should start getting frisky / calling with all manner of hands just to get lucky & go deep.

That doesn't seem to make sense to me, but it seems to be the staple, so perhaps I need to adjust MY play(?).

thoughts appreciated..

(apologies - I had to use a screen grab as I couldn't get the blasted cut/ paste to work correctly)

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Only criticism here is getting all your chips in preflop..... just a reraise would have been enough, and play down the streets...with 2x8's on board would have given you the option to fold...having said that, the odds of him hitting trips or flush are much higher and you are well ahead both pre flop and on the flop... sometimes these hands hit and we are left wondering what did we do wrong,,why did they call with such a weak hand, this is all part of the ''variance'' in poker... carry on with your game, and just accept that sometimes people will make these sort of calls, the majority of the time you will win
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: I probably wouldn't do what he did. - Should I be?:
    Only criticism here is getting all your chips in preflop..... just a reraise would have been enough, and play down the streets...with 2x8's on board would have given you the option to fold...having said that, the odds of him hitting trips or flush are much higher and you are well ahead both pre flop and on the flop... sometimes these hands hit and we are left wondering what did we do wrong,,why did they call with such a weak hand, this is all part of the ''variance'' in poker... carry on with your game, and just accept that sometimes people will make these sort of calls, the majority of the time you will win
    Posted by larry1959
    What aload of tosh. He has 11big blinds getting it in preflop is exactly what he should be doing
  • edited January 2013
    It's a freeroll, don't expect any sense or reason from people playing in it, most are just bashing buttons to kill time. You got the chips in goodm that's all you can do.
  • edited January 2013
    Posted by larry1959
    Please do not do what Larry says here. With 11 BB and a raise before you always go all in with QQ. Reraisng then folding is just bad and mad.
  • edited January 2013
    You played it perfectly and got the result you want (called by a hand hand you crush).

Don't listen to Larry (no offence), you have 11xBB and you should be shoving or folding all hands you want to play.
  • edited January 2013
    Hey, thanks for all the opinions. - I did contemplate the re-raise pre, but any raise would have commited me anyway & I would have only really raised to induce a shove (which I'd call). So I opted to shove & was fist pumping the air when I saw K-8 (lol)

..... well, I was fist pumping briefly!

Nice to know that my play isn't sub-optimal as that's all I'm really worried about. I can cope with being sucked out against. and in actuality I had a similar hand to this earlier tonight In the freeroll, Where I had QQ and shoved to a min-raise & a 3 bet. they both called & turned over 77 & KK respectively. (oh no!)

but both I & the 7's hit sets, so I tripled up, knocking out two people in the process.

See! - it happens to us all both positively & negatively.

cheers for all the comments. -
  • edited January 2013
    Only criticism here is getting all your chips in preflop..... just a reraise would have been enough, and play down the streets...with 2x8's on board would have given you the option to fold.
    ..having said that, the odds of him hitting trips or flush are much higher and you are well ahead both pre flop and on the flop... sometimes these hands hit and we are left wondering what did we do wrong,,why did they call with such a weak hand, this is all part of the ''variance'' in poker... carry on with your game, and just accept that sometimes people will make these sort of calls, the majority of the time you will win
    Posted by larry1959

This is pure results orientated and negative thinking. This kind of thinking costs you money. 
  • edited January 2013

Larryments :(

Your last thread you were talking about shoving 2,000 chips all in pre flop with aces in level 1 of a tournament to avoid getting outdrawn.

But with 11 big blinds and QQ you want to take a different line? :(

Hand played fine puppet. Very very standard. ul with the run out.