You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

My first delve into DYM PL Omaha

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
A rude awakening for sure lol...

Sorry in advance if this is all a bit 'noddy', really just trying to start understanding the basics at mo.

1) Am I right to not raise pre-flop with aces?
2) Am I right to not raise pre-flop for the same reasons as early stages of Hold Em DYMs?
3) Is it a good play to 'protect my hand' on the flop, knowing I'm ahead but facing all sorts of draws?
4) Given the play to that point, is the check on the turn too weak - I appreciate I may be results orientated here, but if I'm raised a decent amount on the turn, which I imagine I would be, I get away from this hand.
5) Ouch.  Seriously though, the few articles I've read on Omaha keep telling me to accept there will be far bigger hands out there than I see in Hold Em. Given that the oppo here almost certainly has a flush, and to be getting aggressive with it can be expected to have the King-high flush, should I be giving far more credit to him having me beaten and just call the re-raise (or in a DYM format, does folding even come into the equation?)

I love this game so far though, can't wait to go properly nuts on it when cash champ ends / the omaha challenge thread kicks in and the games fill up a bit faster!

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancex1Small blind 15.0015.002535.00shakinacesBig blind 30.0045.001920.00 Your hole cardsA52A   x2Call 30.0075.003960.00x3Call 30.00105.001850.00OppoCall 30.00135.001600.00x1Call 15.00150.002520.00shakinacesCheck    Flop  2JA   x1Check    shakinacesBet 90.00240.001830.00x2Fold    x3Fold    OppoCall 90.00330.001510.00x1Fold    Turn  Q   shakinacesCheck    OppoCheck    River  A   shakinacesBet 270.00600.001560.00OppoRaise 540.001140.00970.00shakinacesAll-in 1560.002700.000.00OppoAll-in 970.003670.000.00shakinacesUnmatched bet 320.003350.00320.00shakinacesShowA52A   OppoShow10QK6   OppoWinRoyal Flush3350.00 3350.00

Comments

• edited January 2013

Are dyms a good place to start with PLO? 

Maybe for absolute beginners, who want to learn starting hand selection, but I doubt you're going to get much practise/experience as you will be mostly folding until like 3xbb then shoving. 

Anyway....

1) If it was cash, I'd be raising pre as they're decent aces, but as it's a dym and you're oop probably best just to check and try and make the nuts. 

2) I spose a comparison to NLHE would be maybe having a hand like 8s or 9s in this spot pre. So you'd probably be checking those and trying to make a set?

3) Bet for value & protection on the flop yea. I'd be potting it esp if its low stakes. 

4) Check on the turn looks standard it's a horrible card and brings loads of stuff in. I'd be check folding to a big bet, check/calling if we get a good price. Hoping he checks back tbh!

5) Really not sure on the river. I don't think he has a flush when he raises our bet. We're looking at full houses (flop sets mainy) and a royal flush! ;) Don't know how people play PLO dyms as I've never done 1, but maybe the better players will say you can just flat the river raise. I dunno if that's maybe too nitty.

I would go broke too though. pretty sick :(

Play some PLO4.......

I'm sure you'll develop faster playing micro cash than micro dyms once you are happy you've got the absolute basics such as starting hand values and position (shud be fine with the pos bit if you've played NLHE!)

gl!

• edited January 2013
    Gah 2nd try to post... sums up my luck today, I figured it would soon be time the poker gods caught up with me after all the good luck they have blessed me with so far this week :)

Thank you very much for the comprehensive response DOHHHH.

I have played a few tables of micro stakes PLO but play stupidly nitty, knowing that a lot of the players there don't really get the basics and allow me to get paid even though I'm only playing one hand aggressively every few orbits.

Trouble I find with tournaments (have played a couple of freeroll/£1 MTTs previusly) is that this becomes too tight and I just get blinded down before I get a chance to build a stack - like, I have zero concept of bluffing and making the most of position/middling hands yet, which at least gives me a fighting chance in NLHE tournaments.

That's why I kinda wonder if I played this a bit back to front - ie should be less nitty early doors and raise with aces so a pot is built when I do bag a set... which it sounds like maybe I should (although possibly not in DYM format)... then consider a more nitty option at the end of the hand?

The inherent gambler in me is certainly looking forward to learning more about the game though!  Thanks again for the post.