You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

30nl rivered trips v solid reg opponent.

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic

Opponent is a winning 30nl player, pretty solid but not overly tight, haven't seen him spew much or get out of line too often.

Thoughts on the river please?

It's a fold now, but are we raising? Is the size ok?

No specific reads really as I haven't played him (or anyone recently) very much.

Will see me as loose aggressive.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Liberachi7 Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £31.76
xxx Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £42.40
 Your hole cards

Poker_Fail Fold     
Adicts89 Raise  £1.20 £1.65 £57.56
GuardC4t Fold     
DOHHHHHHH Call  £1.20 £2.85 £33.11
Liberachi7 Fold     
xxxCall  £0.90 £3.75 £41.50
Flop

xxx Check     
Adicts89 Check     
DOHHHHHHH Bet  £2.00 £5.75 £31.11
xxx Call  £2.00 £7.75 £39.50
Adicts89 Fold     
Turn

xxxCheck     
DOHHHHHHH Check     
River

xxx Bet  £3.90 £11.65 £35.60
DOHHHHHHH Raise  £8.00 £19.65 £23.11
xxxRaise  £14.40 £34.05 £21.20
DOHHHHHHH

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Check flop

As played, yea I think it's fine to raise that river. If villain isn't capable of making huge river bluffs then you can just fold.
  • edited January 2013
    call and make a note.
  • edited January 2013
    I prob bet turn intending to barrell river

call river, as played I call the raise as your line looks like some weird bluff 

EDIT: Ignore, misread hand
  • edited January 2013
    What, I don't like the above advice.

If this is a winning 30nl player, then he's a reg.

I dont think I can name a reg that would play a hand like this that you beat.

Its an easy fold.

Call and make a note is terrible advice imo. Your going to take a note that he always has it.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: 30nl rivered trips v solid reg opponent.:
    What, I don't like the above advice. If this is a winning 30nl player, then he's a reg. I dont think I can name a reg that would play a hand like this that you beat. Its an easy fold. Call and make a note is terrible advice imo. Your going to take a note that he always has it.
    Posted by KKrippler
    misread hand thought it was villain who opened pre

check flop
    check turn
    flat river lead, fold to the raise
  • edited January 2013
    What, I don't like the above advice. If this is a winning 30nl player, then he's a reg. I dont think I can name a reg that would play a hand like this that you beat. Its an easy fold. Call and make a note is terrible advice imo. Your going to take a note that he always has it.
    Posted by KKrippler
    lol at the sweeping generalisation that call is bad, especially given that we will be playing lots of post flop pots 200bb deep, given that we're getting sick pot odds with a much stronger hand than we'll normally have here and also given that you said "if hes a winning nl30 players then he's a reg" that's utter tosh. Very often we will be beat here, but we has trips and are getting a great price combined with other factors like history/meta/pots in the future. do cally. 
  • edited January 2013

I folded. For once. 

Why are we checking back the flop?

The opening raiser has given up, he's probably check folding. It's a dry board so the big blind has nothing and is probably check/folding too.

I've got a pair, position, but am probably up against 4 overcards. 

Surely I want to bet to protect here? 
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: 30nl rivered trips v solid reg opponent. : lol at the sweeping generalisation that call is bad, especially given that we will be playing lots of post flop pots 200bb deep, given that we're getting sick pot odds with a much stronger hand than we'll normally have here and also given that you said "if hes a winning nl30 players then he's a reg" that's utter tosh. Very often we will be beat here, but we has trips and are getting a great price combined with other factors like history/meta/pots in the future. do cally. 
    Posted by beaneh
    Don't know about this, what am I supposed to have normally? Top pair?
  • edited January 2013
    Posted by KKrippler
    I always think people are bluffing me, as you probably know. And call far too much.

So yes, as a winning/reg player, he will know bluffing me is a bad idea.

But then, he knows that I know that he knows bluffing is a bad idea, so could get some credit.

The 3b size otr is tiny, maybe he's trying to induce a shove from me, much more likely to be the case than trying to get me to fold imo.

If it's a bluff, it's a sick play!

But having c/c the flop OOP 3 ways, he definitely has something. So never a stone bluff imo. 

Still happy with the fold. 

Unless the 30nl regs have started turning top pair good kicker into a bluff otr to try and make people fold trips.

Villain is decent, but I think only wobblylegs and maybe tatohead are capable of this kind of sophisticated play. 

Thnx for replies.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: 30nl rivered trips v solid reg opponent. : Don't know about this, what am I supposed to have normally? Top pair?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    1 pair obv
  • edited January 2013
    Probably a good fold here DOHHHH. Seems like the villian has 10s full to me.
  • edited January 2013
    Unless you've seen opponent make this play OTR before I think this is an easy fold and not that close. You don't even beat any other 5's except 53/52 and they're rarely if ever calling pre. 
  • edited January 2013

he prob has full house. but think u gotta make the call .u invested enough and if ya make that move every time then u will lose money long term. why did u not make a move earlier for the pot before the 5 hit on river to get more info on what your opponent was holding 

• edited January 2013
    he prob has full house. but think u gotta make the call .u invested enough and if ya make that move every time then u will lose money long term. why did u not make a move earlier for the pot before the 5 hit on river to get more info on what your opponent was holding 
    Posted by reeler
    what i mean was fire out again on turn