You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How would you play this hand Ace Six Spades in small blind B / H Tourney 8 players left

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
I'm sitting in small blind ace six of spades, 800/ 1600 blinds. One caller (massive chip leader) he has 170k and has been making a lot of moves.

B/b checks, flop comes come down with 2 spades and Jack High.

I check, bb checks, button raises 4800, im sittin with 45 k, and jam.

Original raiser calls with 10 j, off suit.

Board runs out pair of jacks hold.

Just wondering how would others have played the hand, i was thinking i can bring the pot down there or at worst it was a coin flip.

Wonderin now if i should have just peeled off another card hopin 2 hit flush.

Comments

• edited January 2013
    With a 30BB stack there is no reason to play raggy suited aces from the worst possition on the table. Fold pre. Also once BTN bets pot on that flop I would say that top pair is a very likely hand for him to have. As played I would bet fold the flop for half pot.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: How would you play this hand Ace Six Spades in small blind B / H Tourney 8 players left:
    With a 30BB stack there is no reason to play raggy suited aces from the worst possition on the table. Fold pre. Also once BTN bets pot on that flop I would say that top pair is a very likely hand for him to have. As played I would bet fold the flop for half pot.
    Posted by jugglegeek
    Cheers thanks for the response.

The guy was raising everything, i thought the shove would bring it down and even if hes got top pair, its a flip.
  • edited January 2013
    Normally I wouldnt shove the nut flush draw, but late on in the tournie I really want to be better stacked for the final table.

1) Is that an ok move at that stage?

2) Is it ever ok to call a bet, say 10 percent of your stack, to hit your flush? Knowing if you hit theres  a good chance you are getting paid off (implied odds??)

3) can you ever fold in that spot there?

Despite the above post 4 handed i dont think you can ever fold ace 6 suited outa the small blind, and on that flop I dont think i can fold?
  • edited January 2013
    If you want to final table then this sort of move isn't going to get you there unless you get lucky. Flat call the
    4800 and fold the turn if you don't improve??... maybe. But you are  better to wait for a better spot and pockets for this sort of play. Some players really tighten up at this stage and you weren't in bad shape (chip wise) before the hand started. So why throw your chips away??
    So basically in answer to you 2nd post..

1. No... you have nothing but a flush draw, so your odds are greatly reduced

2. Flat call if you wish, see a flop, then fold to any bet, but preferably fold preflop (theres a saying that '' if it looks good it probably isn't''). The other alternative is to jam preflop and hope to take the blinds down..but any big stack in a B/H will call you and you're in a race...

3. Most would see a flop, some, like your self would jam hoping to hit the flush. Sometimes your lucky and other times your not. Big stacks who have a made hand love this sort of play...especially in B/H tournies..
    So again, your better off folding, especially in the S/B...
  • edited January 2013

In Response to Re: How would you play this hand Ace Six Spades in small blind B / H Tourney 8 players left:

If you want to final table then this sort of move isn't going to get you there unless you get lucky. Flat call the 4800 and fold the turn if you don't improve??... maybe. But you are  better to wait for a better spot and pockets for this sort of play. Some players really tighten up at this stage and you weren't in bad shape (chip wise) before the hand started. So why throw your chips away?? So basically in answer to you 2nd post.. 1. No... you have nothing but a flush draw, so your odds are greatly reduced 2. Flat call if you wish, see a flop, then fold to any bet, but preferably fold preflop (theres a saying that '' if it looks good it probably isn't''). The other alternative is to jam preflop and hope to take the blinds down..but any big stack in a B/H will call you and you're in a race... 3. Most would see a flop, some, like your self would jam hoping to hit the flush. Sometimes your lucky and other times your not. Big stacks who have a made hand love this sort of play...especially in B/H tournies.. So again, your better off folding, especially in the S/B...
    Posted by larry1959
    Cheers Larry for the advice.