You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can anyone tell me, at what level cash, does this crud stop happening?

Utterly speechless at this call.
It just makes me not want to bother anymore...
Hand History #615799166 (20:54 28/01/2013)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceCrunchStikSmall blind £0.05£0.05£4.86PuppetJackBig blind £0.10£0.15£1.61 Your hole cardsKK   IMikeyBoyIFold    foldUfairyFold    frapstarRaise £0.30£0.45£9.93CrunchStikCall £0.25£0.70£4.61PuppetJackAll-in £1.61£2.31£0.00frapstarFold    CrunchStikCall £1.41£3.72£3.20CrunchStikShow86   PuppetJackShowKK   Flop  106Q   Turn  8   River  9   CrunchStikWinTwo Pairs, 8s and 6s£3.44 £6.64

Comments

• edited January 2013
    He calls 12 more bigs for what he thinks is probably going to be a flip with suited gappers seems fine to me. Of you were sitting with a full stack this wouldnt have happened
  • edited January 2013
    Fair comment I suppose, I didn't short at the table, it's just been bad beat after bad beat tonight. - I could post them all, but frankly there's no point.

Maybe it's just me.
  • edited January 2013
    it happens at all levels. If you cant deal with it now then youre not gonna be able to deal with it when its for even more money, its part of poker.
  • edited January 2013
    Sadly, I think you may be right.
  • edited January 2013
    I hate it when I shove with KK and get called by 86.  Much prefer it when they call with AA
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Can anyone tell me, at what level cash, does this crud stop happening?:
    I hate it when I shove with KK and get called by 86.  Much prefer it when they call with AA
    Posted by cenachav
    my kings got beat by 86 today and i beat aces with 86 as well lol, something about it
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Can anyone tell me, at what level cash, does this crud stop happening?:
    In Response to Re: Can anyone tell me, at what level cash, does this crud stop happening? : my kings got beat by 86 today and i beat aces with 86 as well lol, something about it
    Posted by ididit14
    my aces lost to a 96o today but my kk won thanks to someone stupid enough to shove with Q9o
    basically we do get some awful losses but without them it would become so boring
  • edited January 2013
    This type of call with anything suited (suited connectors I could perhaps understand) happen time after time, especially in bounty hunters...no rhyme or reason...some players have some strange favourites...if you'd limped into the pot you can understand being beat, but you were raised you shoved ( a re-raise would have been better, then jam on the flop) and got called...unfortunately this style of play, & calling with anything suited, is getting more and more common on this site...some will say it's part of the variance.

Personally I think these calls go against everything they teach and tell you when learning poker...but at the end of the day, it's up to the individual player how they spend their money....

It happens at all levels..watch some of the master cash games on tv where £100's of pounds are involved..sometimes it makes you wonder if some people have more money than sense........
  • edited January 2013
    They call it gambling
  • edited January 2013
    Don't let the bad beats get you down!
    You want people making bad calls against you like this trying to get lucky and have to accept it when they do. He'll crack your Kings more than 1 time in 5 but long term your winning big time! Negative variance is horrible but all part of the game, you need to have the bankroll and mindset to absorb it. Keep making good decisions and buy in full - it will come right.
  • edited January 2013
    cheers step.

It's not the bankroll or even the money in general that bothers me really. (I'm playing at stakes I know I can absorb as just recreational spending) What bothers me is that I want to be be a winning player. I've invested a lot of time over several years reading books, watching tv / guides, discussing things on forums and I'm still a break-even to losing player.
    I don't want to move up the stakes until I'm confident that I'm doing considerably well at a particular level. - I make a lot of notes on players and many of the players I have notes on I scarcely see nowadays. - whether they've left the site or graduated to higher stakes I don't know, but I just feel like I'm not progressing. - Yet I'm continually posting on here asking "what did I do wrong? - How did I lose this..?" etc, and I'm continually being told "You played it fairly well, just got unlucky" - well that can't be the sole reason. If I push all in pre against a flush draw with a solid pair, I'd expect to win 2/3 times, yet it hardly ever happens.

I'm not in the 'the RNG is bugged' or 'it's rigged' camps, I know that it is legitimate and that context density means that online you see more hands and therefore more bad beats, but the flipside of that is that if I'm playing well, then I'm playing well over more hands, so I should be winning more over time.

I geekily keep a spreadsheet of all my ingoings / outgoings & the graph just looks pitiful at the moment. I can't figure out what I need to do in order to stop people from calling with tosh, and from what I've read it's rife at all levels. I understand that you will sometimes get it in good & get sucked out, - but in the case above, how can someone call a raise, - then to have someone else shove over the top, and still think 6-8suited is good?

It's just mental.

I will be intently watching my progress (or lack thereof) for the next week or two & I'll decide then whether it's about time I just conceded that I'm no good and I'll take up something else.

cheers for your advice guys, - I do appreciate it, - just a bit low atm.

- PJ
  • edited January 2013
    when yo get  a bad beat stop playing as it WILL affect yr next hands. Have a rest!!
  • edited January 2013
    2nd step , Maybe have some time away from tabes, come back a fresh, 
  • edited January 2013
    YOU DON'T WANT THEM TO STOP CALLING WITH TOSH!!!

You need to examine your attitude towards these things. You also have to accept that nobody has a big edge in poker. What I'd suggest you do is have a look at all the hands you play, not just the big hands and the big pots.

Take a look through your hand history at all the hands where you lost 3BB and ask yourself if you needed to lose that much. Look at the hands where you won 10BB and ask yourself if you could have won more. The winning players aren't winners just because they play big hands well and win big pots. In reality we all get as many big hands as one another, so the way you win money in the long-term is by maximising value and minimising losses with your marginal hands.

Pull up for the maximum. In this hand be happy to get it in as a big favourite. Look away from the screen after you get it all-in because the result of this particular run-out is irrelevant... You got all your money in the pot in a very +EV situation. That is relevant.
  • edited January 2013
    YOU DON'T WANT THEM TO STOP CALLING WITH TOSH!!!
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Mr Borin Sir, I think you do actually speak sense. I'm getting so obsessed with getting unlucky continually, I guess I should just keep on plodding, and eventually the stars will align and I'll win a flip!

Sorry, that was a bit tongue in cheek. - I do get exactly what you're saying, and I think I'll go and look at a variety of the smaller pots from recentr sessions, see what truths I can garner from those bad boys.

Thanks for your honesty & advice.

- PJ
  • edited April 2013
    Simple answer is play the game live.  Then you can see who you are actually losing too.
  • edited April 2013
    You are just unlucky in this hand, it happens, its poker.

Like someone else said, it wasn't a lot more to call.

It might be useful if you took stats of your profit/ loss to keep a record of how you are doing. Also, after a session analyse your hands, to see what went well or didn't go so well. If you are on "tilt" maybe just stop have a break and come back later on. It's easier said than done, just today i lost a 3 way pot with pocket aces (all in preflop), 10 J won by getting runner runner! I went on to lose about £15 just from tilting. It will sound daft, but my logic goes totally out of the window, and common sense is all over the place!

A big part of poker is psychology, if you are wondering why am i not a winning player, why don't you maybe go down a level to the 2p 4p tables, get a run, it will build your confidence before going back up to 5p 10p, or mix it up a bit and play a bit of 4nl and 10nl.

Good luck
  • edited April 2013
    Give me KK against 86 anytime. Infact, I will table £1,000 each time and run it till im 83. I can see why your upset he called but come on, if he showed you 86 before he called you would be begging him to call. Pick your head up mate and go again.
  • edited April 2013
    hi pj,
    i've been playing nl4 and a little nl10 this year,and i see this all the time.
    i'm trying to work out the optimal way of beating these levels.
    i've been raising up 3x and 5x and more pre-flop,in an effort to try and stop these callers but they do or some still call regardless,as it's still relatively little money.
    when these hands play out i either win bigger or lose bigger.
    so it then comes down to just how many win v lose pots i get and the ammounts involved, as to how i do.
    i've also been experimenting limping in,(last night) and found that was ok.
    won a few quid playing that way,so probably try it again next session.
    it helped keeping the pots smaller anyway so my losses were less but then flip side my wins were smaller,so is this a winning strategy?i'll keep you posted on my cash and the 2p/4p thread.
    gl
    ps re playing big pairs etc,again u should (in theory) be getting them aipf as u have which should be profitable over time.
    i'm guilty of not always doing this myself.
    also we remember every time we lose and forget the wins,i'm again guilty here,and have been reminded of this several times.  lol
    keep getting them in though as others have said,it is the correct play,even though it doesn't always feel like it.
    gl
  • edited April 2013
    just keep putting yourself in these positions, the maths of the situation will work eventually.  Just think of the times youve done this sort of things with kings, we all forget the times we win with these hands because we expect to win but the time we lose we think its the craziest thing tohappen ever.  Just praise yourself for putting yourself into good situations your doing the correct things, you can do no more then that so dont worry.

Also everyone gets annoyed at this because it seems unfair but reading the mental game of poker might help, i got reccomended this book for tilt and it does help alot.  It does state that we haveto remember the pbad players need to win every once in a while to keep believing that they can win long term (even though its unlikely they will). So you having  a bad beat in the short term will actually help you to beat the poorer players in the long term.

Hope it helped and good luck with your game, keep going the hard work will pay off !

robbie