You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Required level of aggression in Hyper HU SNGs?

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
step7Small blind 15.0015.00555.00
xxxBig blind 30.0045.00400.00
 Your hole cards
  • K

step7Raise 45.0090.00510.00
xxxCall 30.00120.00370.00
Flop

xxxCheck    
step7Bet 90.00210.00420.00
xxxAll-in 370.00580.000.00
step7All-in 420.001000.000.00
step7Unmatched bet 140.00860.00140.00
step7Show
  • K

xxxShow

Turn

• K

River

step7WinTwo Pairs, Kings and 10s860.00 1000.00
Having fun in the hypers but getting owned by the super aggressive players as I try and adjust. Is this guy's line standard in terms of aggression for hypers?? I think defending 48s is suspect or am I being too nitty for the hyper format?

1st time I'd played villain, this is 11 hands in - so not a mass of info on him. Just a fairly standard open shove with 77 at 11BB, 5 hands in to double him back into the match, I'd called with KTo so he could see I wasn't scared to call off chips.

Any comments appreciated.

Comments

• edited January 2013
    48 defend out of 9 bigs is poor i think. obv shoves any piece of flops when chip advantage against him. Defending with 48s isnt aggressive its loose, best he can flop most of the time is a draw or 2nd pair. When people defend wide I think you should treat 2nd pair good kicker or better as nuts 
  • edited January 2013

His line is bad, should just fold pre. 

Dunno if him check raising post is good either because you wouldn't be c-betting this board at all, (and def not that big) unless you were planning to go with it. You can have draws tho I supose. 

Prob not the best hand to post to discuss how you should/shouldn't be playing....

Obv you've played this perfect, but it's the easiest hand ever to play.

• edited January 2013
    All about adjusting to your oppo, but when you get it wroung you just look like a mong

but that's coming from me, I don't play HU )

Think you have to be super aggressive in hypers, can't win them being passive can you !
  • edited January 2013
    You played perfectly and didn't get owned, you got unlucky.

Only thing I'd say is that I'd probably go half pot on the flop cos I don't wanna have to go 3/4 pot when I'm bluffing.

EDIT: His defend is pretty terrible.
  • edited January 2013
    Lol lambo I won this hand/match! I meant generally I struggling with the hyper aggressives/maniacs - adjusting my ranges and getting there. More curious about villains line, most agree it's not standard/required type of play. Usually go 1/2 pot cbet - board texture here made me go bigger. Sorry for a weak hand example, but was inquiring how fast these games should play out - evidentally not this fast with 3rd pr no kicker!
  • edited January 2013
    Well it's all dependent on the player, some players will call any raise pre and never fold to a cbet, some call all your raises but just c/f every flop they don't smash, some 3bet you alot and so on and so on. Shouldn't take you long to figure out what your opponent is like

Don't go too crazy in level 1 and 2.

Once it gets to level 3 (20/40) the effective stack can only ever be 12xBB absolute maximum so get learning how wide to jam and how wide to call. You can't call quite as wide as the Nash Equilibrium says against 99% of players on Sky cos they just aint shoving wide enough so you'll find you're always crushed but again you'll quickly get a feel for how wide people are jamming/calling.

EDIT: Lol @ me, I obv didn't read the HH properly lol, thought you lost andyou were doubting if it was correct just cos u lost.
  • edited January 2013
    Hi step7

I wouldn't worry about it.  Having played maybe 50 games against you the other day I thought your game was for these was fine, which is why I kept trying to avoid you!!

W

P.S.  Really hope this wasn't me.  I'm 99% certain it wasn't, but I have retrospectively seen myself do some really stupid things.
  • edited January 2013
    You will see alot of this in hypers if you get alot of volume in, especially if you bump into me anytime soon lol my advice is just be willing mix it up if you feel like you are getting totally run over. I have had to adjust my game alot in hypers with alot of light 3betting, raising alot of cbets with nothing as so often they will also have nothing on the flop and you will take down decent pots, but alot of that will be on feel so its hard to give direct advice. Dont be afraid to go with your instinct and reraise even jam into super aggro players pre sometimes you will look stupid but better that than just get blinded down by pure agression then finally get your monster with like a quarter of a stack left. Also if you push back enough you will notice the agression will slow down and you can then adjust to the change in dynamics and revert back to your normal game.

P.S. this is all my opinion, dont blame me if you lose aload of games jamming junk into super aggro players lol
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks for the advice/support guys:)

No Wilhelm it wasn't you! We rarely see a flop with you being so shovey pre! Seriously though the 1st ten games with you I did think "Oh sh-t it's Wilhelm". You were my 1st taste of real aggression in Hypers and got me thinking about my game a bit more seriously. Enjoyed playing you - just as well coz there's no profit there.

3 betting is interesting - can't remember playing a 3 bet pot post flop, oppo's fold or shove on me!