You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

sets vs very tight regular nl 4

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
the villian i'm up against here is probablyvery well known on NL4, he himself also probably knows me well too.
As he didn't reraise i would have went with him having AK AJs pocket 10 and lower.
on the flop i was thinking to myself he might fold any bet i make thinking i hold a QQ or greater so wanted to make it look like i have AK and have missed
was i ok to do this knowig how good this villian is with his play?

if he was like most others then i would do much more aggression to gain value
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
T Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £4.63
SALSACITY Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £6.31
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

craigcu12 Raise  £0.20 £0.26 £3.76
T Call  £0.18 £0.44 £4.45
SALSACITY Fold     
Flop

• Q

T Check     
craigcu12 Check     
Turn

TCheck     
craigcu12 Bet  £0.12 £0.56 £3.64
T Call  £0.12 £0.68 £4.33
River

T Check     
craigcu12 Bet  £0.34 £1.02 £3.30
T Call  £0.34 £1.36 £3.99
craigcu12 Show
  • Q
  • Q

T Muck

craigcu12 Win Full House, Queens and 4s £1.25  £4.55

Comments

• edited January 2013
    bet the flop to get value from draws/all pairs etc... you need to get max value at these limits and you do that simply by bet bet bet bet betting

bet bigger all streets basically apart from pre

i think i know who the player is, but just bet man. it's 4nl. bet. and don't stop betting until all your chippiez are in the middle
  • edited January 2013
    did I say bet?
  • edited January 2013
    you lost out on a lot of value here, if he called the turn..he'da called the flop. You are always ahead. Personally I would have bet around 25p on the flop, he calls pot @ now 94p...60p on the turn..he calls..pot now £2.14... pot the river..he calls you get £6.42 and not a measly £1.25...got him on KQ, AQ or even A4 suited, by the sound of it his range isn't very wide, so he must have a premium hand to make the original call and hit the flop, otherwise he'd fold to any bet on the turn or river
  • edited January 2013
    Bet flop, if not then atleast bet closer to pot turn. If he calls the turn you can prob put him on a hand 55 through to TT maybe JJ or raggy queens so you have value. I would be tempted to value shove the river
  • edited January 2013
    What would your flop action be if you opened with kt of clubs?

• edited January 2013
    Personally i would bet every street. When i have a hand i wanna bet hard especially when in position to try and get max cash from my strong hands.
  • edited January 2013

you make it really easy for oppo to call you down with 9's/Qx - draws

why do you make it so easy for oppo to pay against you

what hands do you check on flop and why

why is checking better than betting

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: sets vs very tight regular nl 4:
    you make it really easy for oppo to call you down with 9's/Qx - draws why do you make it so easy for oppo to pay against you what hands do you check on flop and why why is checking better than betting
    Posted by rancid
    most villians i would have did a bet on the flop of about 30p but with this viillian i wanted to try making my hand look like a AK the chances are his hand range would have beenpocket pairs AQ A10s Ajs or KQ KJ the hands i'v rarely seen him hold are Kxs Qx.
    also because i check back on the flop the chances are if he did hold a QK or QA then i could see him betting for sure on the turn with any AQ or KQ.

this is how i play my hands against most villians
    here i hit a set of twos so knowing how loose these villians are i jump right in with a reraise post flop and call his shove on the turn so i won 8.80 with quads
    slackalice Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £4.22
    tommo9829 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £1.82
     Your hole cards

xRaise  £0.08 £0.14 £5.68
    craigcu12 Call  £0.08 £0.22 £4.55
    GantzZzZ Call  £0.08 £0.30 £3.41
    busines422 Call  £0.08 £0.38 £3.76
    slackalice Fold     
    tommo9829 Call  £0.04 £0.42 £1.78
    Flop

tommo9829 Check     
    xBet  £0.32 £0.74 £5.36
    craigcu12 Raise  £1.38 £2.12 £3.17
    GantzZzZ Fold     
    busines422 Fold     
    tommo9829 Fold     
    xCall  £1.06 £3.18 £4.30
    Turn

xAll-in  £4.30 £7.48 £0.00
    craigcu12 All-in  £3.17 £10.65 £0.00
    xUnmatched bet  £1.13 £9.52 £1.13
    xShow
    • Q
    • Q

craigcu12 Show

River

craigcu12 Win Four 2s £8.80  £8.80

• edited January 2013
    Don't be afraid to lose your opponent by Betting. - they'll only really call if they have some part of it, or a draw. - in which case you need to charge them.

If the turn had dropped a heart & he had come out betting you would be in a world of hurt.
    If you check through & get a min bet folded to on the river, - you may as well have bet on the flop for the same result, whilst avoiding the chance of getting miraculously outdrawn as tends to happen.

All in all if you want to slow-play monsters you might get slightly more value from some opponents, but on those occasions when you get outdrawn by something stupiod you'll probably lose more (over time).

I once slowplayed my set of Kings and after the turn & river were 5's I bet my House only to get re-shoved on (which I called!) The opponent had pocket fives!

Had I have bet the flop I might not have done my stack.
  • edited January 2013
    Your over thinking it, if u have AK u c bet surely - do u check flop with AK/K10/9's
    Do you bet with draws, can you rep a missed draw overbet on river.

You'll get paid better if you bet flop, if oppo holds any decent Q/pair/draw he will pay u

If you decide to check flop then at least bet more on turn and river

You could check it all the way to the river in the hope oppo will catch up, but this doesn't get you paid

Maybe consider checking flop with Q10, you don't wanna be polarising your range by checking flops with nothing or monster.

Especially because you are playing versus a tight reg at nl4 just means we should balance more and not think "If I bet oppo will not call becaue they are tight"

• edited January 2013
    general advice.

youve got to bet the flop, you hit a monster and you want to start building a pot thats really worth winning for the strength of your hand, instead of trying to trap and win a small pot. as said by others if you had aa kk aq here you would bet so why not now.

also you dont want to give cheap cards, theres a flush draw and unlikely but possible gut shot draws to the straight.

even v a player you percieve to be very tight i still bet. as played should they lead turn on a blank and you start raising then your as well typing your hand in chat box