You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

speechless

edited February 2013 in The Poker Clinic
just looking for anyone's comments on this hand. How can anyone think about bettering themselves at low level when you come up against this

1281Small blind 10.0010.002030.00ken1952Big blind 20.0030.001980.00 Your hole cardsQQ   RobStoneFold    FilboFold    benson09Fold    beeheadCall 20.0050.002770.001281Raise 140.00190.001890.00ken1952Fold    beeheadCall 130.00320.002640.00Flop  J42   1281Bet 320.00640.001570.00beeheadCall 320.00960.002320.00Turn  2   1281Bet 960.001920.00610.00beeheadAll-in 2320.004240.000.001281All-in 610.004850.000.00beeheadUnmatched bet 750.004100.00750.001281ShowQQ   beeheadShow2K   River  5   beeheadWinThree 2s4100.00 4850.00Clo

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Don't bet full pot on the flop or turn.

You've shown massive strength preflop, on the flop AND on the turn, and despite this the guy is still happy to get all his chips in. Ok he might be a complete fish but if he's semi competent you'll hardly ever have the best hand when you call it off.
  • edited February 2013
    Are you being serious Lambert?

How far ahead was i on the flop?

And why would i let him hit a flush?

Hence the pot size bet...

But again another player is in the wrong for "getting it in good"
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: speechless:
    Are you being serious Lambert? How far ahead was i on the flop? And why would i let him hit a flush? Hence the pot size bet... But again another player is in the wrong for "getting it in good"
    Posted by 1281
    Not very far. You might even be behind. Either way, it's very close to a flip.
  • edited February 2013
    He had 9 spades, 3 kings and 2 twos as outs, 14 total so I make it that they were slight favourites on that flop
  • edited February 2013

On the flop you're a 48:52 underdog.

I agree with Lambert in that I don't like the pot sized bets on the flop and turn. You want him to call with worse and you're not giving him a great chance to do that with such big bets. Also the pot-size bet is too big a c-bet to be making if you're ever going to be bluffing in these situations and if you're never bluffing in these situations you become very easy to play against. 

The general idea when we're fairly deep is to size our bets to stack our opponent by the river, if they don't raise at some point. You've made it really easy for your opponent to fold if he has a weak hand or stack you if he has a big hand. Maybe this opponent would stack off with a weak Jack or bare flush draw but, unless you know that for sure, your bets are too big to get value from enough worse hands, I think.

I think your raise was too big pre-flop for the same reason: It will get a fold too often and we want value from our big hands. It also looks pretty unbalanced as I doubt you'd raise so big without a big hand. If you want to raise in these spots with more marginal hands like AJ or 99, you don't want to be raising 7.5BB. That means you can't raise this big with QQ or better without your hand becoming transparent.

I'm not saying you should bet small, by the way. Usually I'd be looking to bet somewhere between half and three quarter pot post-flop and my pre-flop raise would be simply based on the good ol' 3x + 1 guide. Don't get hung up on these "rules" as each situation is different. Just keep in mind what you want to achieve and consider whether your bet sizing is the best way to achieve that.

• edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: speechless:
    Are you being serious Lambert? How far ahead was i on the flop? And why would i let him hit a flush? Hence the pot size bet... But again another player is in the wrong for "getting it in good"
    Posted by 1281
    1) yes

2) not very, if not behind

3) Betting smaller still gives him bad odds to call for a flush without making him fold tons of worse hands

4) You didn't get it in good, he called a bet on the flop as most would with the 2nd nut flush draw, a pair and an overcard, then he jams the turn with the 2nd nut flush and you call.
  • edited February 2013
    hate your bet size on the flop and turn like others have said way too big
  • edited February 2013
    “You should strongly re-evaluate the strength of one-pair hands in the face of a raise on the turn.”
    A clever man wrote this - learn from it.

What did you put the villian on when he jammed? KK? AA? A2s? 44? JJ? 22? or just AJ.

Don't get me wrong you were unlucky here for sure, but you need to learn from hands like this if you want to better yourself as a poker player, work on your bet sizing and listen to what the villain is telling you with his betting, you're being bluffed less often than you think!
  • edited February 2013
    1/2 pot flop or 3/4 pot and yeah his call was fine here he had 14 outs on flop 
  • edited February 2013
    I am a relative newb to all this poker stuff and have been getting some advice from team members as my betting was far too transparent. Over betting etc with big hands pre.
    Since advice of 3x +1 etc my game has improved and im getting more value from hands and finding it easier to get away from pots when necessary.
    Im no expert dude but you have posted for advice and mine for it its worth is " I have to agree with all the above!"
  • edited February 2013
    Hi 1281 i think by now you will have realised that the way to get better is to study hands like this and learn from them.The villians preflop call to your very large raise was optitimistic but once he hit that flop i dont think you would ever get rid of him.

It is annoying to lose a hand in this way but the secret is to learn from it.